Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-03-2018, 02:38 PM   #16
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by raintr33 View Post
I found out about Tolino Shine 3 recently but I had been unable to escape the many attractions of Boox Nova. The possibilities are endless with a Android device even though it would most likely end up distracting me from reading...
Sounds good. I didn't know if you knew about the Tolinos and thought I should just throw that out there. I've heard good things about Boox readers.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 07:26 PM   #17
raintr33
raintr33 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Touch, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Aura HD, Boox Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Sounds good. I didn't know if you knew about the Tolinos and thought I should just throw that out there. I've heard good things about Boox readers.
I certainly hope the Nova works as well as what I had been seeing on youtube. Its the most expensive ereader that I will be buying.
raintr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2018, 09:15 PM   #18
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I certainly hope the Nova works as well as what I had been seeing on youtube. Its the most expensive ereader that I will be buying.
I don't even see the Boox Nova (or Nova Plus) advertised in the U.S. yet. I guess they must be brand new. I've – personally – never paid more than $75 for an eReader (my first, a Nook Simple Touch, on sale) but I've got about a "million" others now (though I have started getting rid of some). I'm kind of a "cat-person" except with eReaders.

Last edited by rcentros; 11-03-2018 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 04:41 AM   #19
Sunlite
Addict
Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KObo Clara, Kobo Aura, PRS-T1, PB602, CyBook Gen3
Even if this info might not be important for the tread owner, I wanted to correct, that you CAN use Overdrive in not supported countries.

For a friend we set up his new Kobo Clara to connect to the library in Berlin, Germany.

We just needed to set his Kobo-Account to US location and then search for the library.

Works like a charm.
Sunlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 04:46 AM   #20
raintr33

Quote:
I don't even see the Boox Nova (or Nova Plus) advertised in the U.S. yet. I guess they must be brand new. I've – personally – never paid more than $75 for an eReader (my first, a Nook Simple Touch, on sale) but I've got about a "million" others now (though I have started getting rid of some). I'm kind of a "cat-person" except with eReaders.
I hope Boox will up its reputation soon as a quality Android eReader and entice you with one of their device.
FYI Nova is due for release on 7 Nov. There's more details in the Onyx Nova thread.

cheers
Advert
Old 11-04-2018, 04:52 AM   #21
raintr33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunlite View Post
Even if this info might not be important for the tread owner, I wanted to correct, that you CAN use Overdrive in not supported countries.

For a friend we set up his new Kobo Clara to connect to the library in Berlin, Germany.

We just needed to set his Kobo-Account to US location and then search for the library.

Works like a charm.
That's great news!
Was your friend able to borrow a book that isn't available in Kobo store?
Old 11-04-2018, 06:19 AM   #22
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Was your friend able to borrow a book that isn't available in Kobo store?
The answer to that is no. The OD integration with Kobo works through the store. The borrowed book is added to you Kobo library. To be able to do that, it has to be in the store.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:15 AM   #23
raintr33

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The answer to that is no. The OD integration with Kobo works through the store. The borrowed book is added to you Kobo library. To be able to do that, it has to be in the store.
Thanks for clarifying how Overdrive works on Kobo.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:04 PM   #24
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlemonde View Post
Can you think of a solution? Are there other ways? (Or have you successfully installed ADE in linux?)
ADE 1.7.2 is trivial to install in Linux, but ADE 2.0.1 needs a recent WINE version. I don't think there is currently any need to install an ADE version later than 2.0.1.

The only places I know than need ADE 2.0.1 are Goolge Play and OverDrive, everywhere else I've tried ADE 1.7.2 works fine.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 04:27 PM   #25
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
ADE 1.7.2 is trivial to install in Linux, but ADE 2.0.1 needs a recent WINE version. I don't think there is currently any need to install an ADE version later than 2.0.1.

The only places I know than need ADE 2.0.1 are Goolge Play and OverDrive, everywhere else I've tried ADE 1.7.2 works fine.
I think Bibliotheca's CloudLibrary requires the latest 4.x ADE to be installed, but I don't know if it ever worked on WINE.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 05:05 PM   #26
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
I think Bibliotheca's CloudLibrary requires the latest 4.x ADE to be installed, but I don't know if it ever worked on WINE.
FWIW, I'm using cloudlibrary with ADE 2.x installed. Note that this is on Windows 7, where I was able to use both overdrive and cloudlibrary. On Windows 10, I can only use one at a time: the same activation does not work with both.

Also, I'm not sure if cloudlibrary requires ADE to be installed? I think that cloud library has it's own Adobe libraries?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 05:53 PM   #27
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I hope Boox will up its reputation soon as a quality Android eReader and entice you with one of their device.
I'm too cheap. Besides, I'm not fond of Android, nor do I like big screens. And I DO like my old readers. Most of my reading for the last week has been done on a Sony PRS-505. Very nice, especially when you consider it was built ten years ago.

But, curious, how do Boox readers handle Overdrive books? With the Overdrive app? Or is there an ADE version for Android (sorry for my total ignorance about this).
Old 11-04-2018, 06:54 PM   #28
raintr33

Quote:
I'm too cheap. Besides, I'm not fond of Android, nor do I like big screens. And I DO like my old readers. Most of my reading for the last week has been done on a Sony PRS-505. Very nice, especially when you consider it was built ten years ago.

But, curious, how do Boox readers handle Overdrive books? With the Overdrive app? Or is there an ADE version for Android (sorry for my total ignorance about this).
I would like to keep my screen small and handy too but the big fonts that I use for my bad eyes makes the big screen a critical need

The Android devices can install the Overdrive app same as a phone. Haven't explore other alternatives on Android for ADE. My only worry is the ancient Android version these devices use. Its Android 6 for Nova, and Android 4 for the older devices.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:29 PM   #29
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
To install ADE 2.0.1 on Linux follow the instructions on our own Wiki, which have been recently updated:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/ADE_2.0.1_Linux

If it doesn't work for you then there are a number of us on Mobileread who have taken an interest in the matter and are happy to help. The link posted earlier to Pat David's blog is good and should work. Pat based this on the Mobileread Wiki instructions which he had to modify slightly to deal with some problems installing on Ubuntu. The Wiki has in turn been updated to incorporate his work. This is the beauty of Open Source.

Cloud library does not need ADE. It uses Adobe but the software itself handles the fulfilment. It works under Wine. Later versions of ADE do work under wine, though it is broken with the last few minor releases. I can't recall exact versions but you can get the latest version working on wine with Winetricks. Just replace the binary winetricks downloads to its own directory under ~/.cache/winetricks with an earlier minor version which will install. I think the latest .0 minor release works. The latest minor releases will not install under Wine as the installer thinks that the binary is already running.

My current Linux install has working versions of K4PC, ADE 2.0.1, Cloud Library, Kobo Desktop and Overdrive for Windows. I have modified my Kobo Desktop setup to integrate properly with the Obok Calibre Plugin. Basically everything I want is currently working,albeit with a little effort along the way.

Last edited by darryl; 11-04-2018 at 10:50 PM.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:14 AM   #30
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I would like to keep my screen small and handy too but the big fonts that I use for my bad eyes makes the big screen a critical need
I'm lucky, at least my eyes allow close up reading. (I've always been near sighted.) I can see the definite advantage of a bigger screen for your situation.

Quote:
The Android devices can install the Overdrive app same as a phone. Haven't explore other alternatives on Android for ADE. My only worry is the ancient Android version these devices use. Its Android 6 for Nova, and Android 4 for the older devices.
I've never used the Android Overdrive app (or any Overdrive app) so, I'm guessing, it allows you to load the book on to your eReader (for use with the normal eReader) or does the Overdrive app have its own built-in reader?