Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-09-2017, 01:26 PM   #31
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
Agree. Technical issues aside....I really think the form factor is great. I definitely prefer it to the Kindle Oasis. I don't know why they saw a need for an aluminum back. Sure I guess it feels high end but it will be cold to the touch and slippery. The Nook just felt great. Really dug the design of the whole exterior. Again larger bezels are nice. Just because it's the norm on a lot of devices and TV's to almost completely remove the bezels doesn't mean it's a good idea for a reader.
I find it funny that, in more than one thread, people are comparing the Glowlight 3 to the Oasis! The more natural comparison would be with the Paperwhite. IMHO, if people are comparing the G-3 with the Oasis (with that price difference), that's quite the compliment for the G-3!
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:48 PM   #32
dmevis
Enthusiast
dmevis began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 3
Dimensions for Case/Cover

While we wait for B&N to release cases/covers for the GL-3, I have seen some suggestions that the GL-3 can use the same case/cover as the Nook Simple Touch.

Can anyone confirm that the GL-3 and Simple Touch are pretty much the same dimensions and are likely to be able to share the same case/cover?
dmevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2017, 01:50 PM   #33
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
They are similar in width, different in height. Nook 3 is taller.
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:46 PM   #34
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I handled a display model in BN today. I was very impressed, it felt really nice. And it had Georgia font! And the margins were much narrower than what I recall being on the NST original. The buttons and the light were very nice, too. If it wasn't for the storage issue, I would consider it. I don't buy any digital products from BN.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:55 PM   #35
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I handled a display model in BN today. I was very impressed, it felt really nice. And it had Georgia font! And the margins were much narrower than what I recall being on the NST original. The buttons and the light were very nice, too. If it wasn't for the storage issue, I would consider it. I don't buy any digital products from BN.
The margins are narrow on the NST as well -- I think the same as the GlowLight 3. They've always been narrower than the Kindles. (Except, when I used a hack for margin widths with the Kindle Basic non-touches. There's probably a hack for the margins in jailbroken newer Kindles as well.)
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2017, 12:06 AM   #36
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieterpops View Post
They are similar in width, different in height. Nook 3 is taller.
And the NST is a bit thicker.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:35 AM   #37
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
The margins are narrow on the NST as well -- I think the same as the GlowLight 3. They've always been narrower than the Kindles. (Except, when I used a hack for margin widths with the Kindle Basic non-touches. There's probably a hack for the margins in jailbroken newer Kindles as well.)
Ok, I mis-remembered, but it's been quite while since I had the NST. At any rate, I found the margins and the font choices extremely satisfying. The NST didn't have Georgia, did it? Even attached to the tether this device felt small and light and pleasant to hold. The buttons were very nice. If I were a BN digital content buyer, I would get one!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:33 PM   #38
dmevis
Enthusiast
dmevis began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 3
Wallpapers

Does anyone know if you can load custom wallpapers (screensavers) on to the GL-3? I know B&N took that away with the GLP, but wondering if it is back.
dmevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:20 PM   #39
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Ok, I mis-remembered, but it's been quite while since I had the NST. At any rate, I found the margins and the font choices extremely satisfying. The NST didn't have Georgia, did it? Even attached to the tether this device felt small and light and pleasant to hold. The buttons were very nice. If I were a BN digital content buyer, I would get one!
No it didn't. It had Caecilia, Malabar, Amasis, Gil Sans, Helvetica Neue and Trebuchet. (I think all these were LinoType typefaces.) I'm not sure if any of these were closely related to Georgia or not (doesn't look like it). I notice the GlowLight 3 no longer has Caecilia, which used to be a "staple" (at least for me). The 300 dpi fonts on the GlowLight 3 are noticeably nicer.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:28 PM   #40
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
I find it funny that, in more than one thread, people are comparing the Glowlight 3 to the Oasis! The more natural comparison would be with the Paperwhite. IMHO, if people are comparing the G-3 with the Oasis (with that price difference), that's quite the compliment for the G-3!
I think the GlowLight 3 has also been compared to more expensive Kobos. So, yes, an off-handed compliment. I wonder if the newest Kindles will have the adjustable "night mode" feature?
Old 11-13-2017, 01:11 AM   #41
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
It’s all I want right now but the storage is a killer.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:49 AM   #42
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
It’s all I want right now but the storage is a killer.
Yes, the storage setup is a bit of a pain. However, if you don't mind a little extra effort, it's possible to get around that obstacle. Just say the words "ADB install"... and you don't need root to do it!
Old 11-13-2017, 10:00 AM   #43
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Yes, the storage setup is a bit of a pain. However, if you don't mind a little extra effort, it's possible to get around that obstacle. Just say the words "ADB install"... and you don't need root to do it!
Oh, I remember my ADB adventures and if I recall correctly, you were part of it.... Nowadays, my life is much busier so I would just like my ereader to have a white display, or as white as it gets, a good contrast, side buttons, the night light (meaning the orange tone) and the possibility to sideload my fonts and my books. If it also allows me to manage easily my books into collections, I am delighted. And if I can do it from Calibre, it's cherry on the cake.

I am using now a Voyage, a Tolino 4 when it's not kidnapped by my daughter and a Tagus LUX 2017 (Onyx c67 Carta +). But one device which would have alle these features I listed would be da dream. Not holding my breath though...
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:22 PM   #44
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Oh, I remember my ADB adventures and if I recall correctly, you were part of it.... Nowadays, my life is much busier so I would just like my ereader to have a white display, or as white as it gets, a good contrast, side buttons, the night light (meaning the orange tone) and the possibility to sideload my fonts and my books. If it also allows me to manage easily my books into collections, I am delighted. And if I can do it from Calibre, it's cherry on the cake.

I am using now a Voyage, a Tolino 4 when it's not kidnapped by my daughter and a Tagus LUX 2017 (Onyx c67 Carta +). But one device which would have alle these features I listed would be da dream. Not holding my breath though...
Yes, we're all looking for that "one device to rule them all". The Glowlight 3 has most of what you are looking for. But you may already have that with the devices you have now.

I bought mine because I still feel a soft spot for Nook stuff, and it gave me the opportunity to play around with it and learn a little more. I also like the adjustable color. There are lots of good choices for e-readers out there. No perfect ones, perhaps...
Old 11-13-2017, 04:57 PM   #45
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Yes, we're all looking for that "one device to rule them all". The Glowlight 3 has most of what you are looking for. But you may already have that with the devices you have now.

I bought mine because I still feel a soft spot for Nook stuff, and it gave me the opportunity to play around with it and learn a little more. I also like the adjustable color. There are lots of good choices for e-readers out there. No perfect ones, perhaps...
The e-reader I am looking for has a 7 inch lighted screen with the aspect ratio of the STR, open android system that updates from Google, minimum of 1gb of ram, 8 or more gb of storage, an sd card reader and no tied to the device reader app installed--let the user choose his own apps.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote