Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old Today, 02:08 PM   #151
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3, iPad 9.7, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
Oh, gotcha. Thanks, Harry. It seems to search well. I give it another test run by looking up my next book.
Note, the search index is for searching inside the books' contents. For example, if you search for "mitochondria" in the home/library view, you can find all the books in your library containing the word mitochondria.

I expect author/title is stored in a separate database and you can search by those attributes regardless of whether indexing has finished or not.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:19 PM   #152
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo WiFi, Samsung Galaxy SIII, Acer 10'' Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Note, the search index is for searching inside the books' contents. For example, if you search for "mitochondria" in the home/library view, you can find all the books in your library containing the word mitochondria.

I expect author/title is stored in a separate database and you can search by those attributes regardless of whether indexing has finished or not.
Gotcha. Thanks, ilovejedd.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:19 PM   #153
haertig
Addict
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Sansa Clip v2 Rockbox (audiobooks)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
That would be a totally useless feature for me. Maybe if someone had a bunch of reference books on their Kindle it might be useful.

Are there many cases of people who read novels searching for a word or phrase across multiple books? I can't come up with any need to do that. Please educate me. A Kindle is a very low horsepower device (computing power). That's got to be a heckuva burden on the poor thing to do all that parsing and processing. Can you turn that feature off?
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:30 PM   #154
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Old, non-front-lit eReaders. Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos and Others
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
Are there many cases of people who read novels searching for a word or phrase across multiple books? I can't come up with any need to do that. Please educate me. A Kindle is a very low horsepower device (computing power). That's got to be a heckuva burden on the poor thing to do all that parsing and processing. Can you turn that feature off?
I can't speak specifically for a reason to use this feature (except, as you mentioned) for research (or maybe a series of novels). But once the books have been indexed there isn't much involved in "processing." Unless I'm missing something here, the index is stored as a database and "searches" are almost instantaneous at that point. In Linux they have an "updatedb" command, which indexes all the files on the system. Then when you need to find something, you simply type "locate xxxx" and the command accesses a database, it doesn't do another search. If you add or delete a file between "updatedb" and issuing the "locate" command, it will still work off the old database. I'm guessing the Kindle does something similar.
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:39 PM   #155
jhowell
Wizard
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Fire, iPad Air 2, Nexus 7
Quote:
That would be a totally useless feature for me. Maybe if someone had a bunch of reference books on their Kindle it might be useful.
I believe that the same index is also used when searching the book you are currently reading. That is useful for finding the first mention of a character in a novel, etc.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:56 PM   #156
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I believe that the same index is also used when searching the book you are currently reading. That is useful for finding the first mention of a character in a novel, etc.
It's also useful for series books. For example, I often read long fantasy and science fiction series. Sometimes when a character or a place is mentioned in a later book, I don't remember exactly what was said about it in earlier books, and in which book it was said. Global search across the entire library will come in handy then, and I've used it many times.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:08 PM   #157
Paperbackstash
Zealot
Paperbackstash can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguePaperbackstash can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguePaperbackstash can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguePaperbackstash can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguePaperbackstash can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguePaperbackstash can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguePaperbackstash can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguePaperbackstash can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguePaperbackstash can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguePaperbackstash can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguePaperbackstash can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: PW4 (Inis Odyssey) PW 3 (Moonsliver), Fire HD 2ndG (Nostromo)
Quote:
You'd be surprised. I belong to several Reading Challenge Groups on Goodreads, and we have to find words or phrases used in books for monthly challenges, so this feature comes in handy.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote