Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-09-2010, 10:36 AM   #1
extendedping
Enthusiast
extendedping began at the beginning.

Device: none
can anyone do me a big favor (ssh in a browser)

well, I have done quite a bit of research and if I get an ereader it is the kindle 2. the reason for getting an ereader for me is to continue learning technology and I just can't lug around tech books anymore. I was hoping I would find more info somewhere on the net on how to hack ssh onto the kindle 2 so I could use my home linux pc remotely to keep learning but to no avail. but I did come across this site https://gotossh.com/ which allows you to do ssh from within your browser window. I also read about ajaxterm, and am going to attempt to set it up on my ubuntu box. so here is the big favor. the gotossh site allows free accounts that limit ssh to one box and only for 2 minutes. really want to know if this will work through the kindle browser but I don't know anyone who owns a kindle to test it. if it did work (says it will work with any java enabled browser) I would then jump on the kindle (not literally) as I could have my text books and be able to do practical exercises from anywhere. so if anyone cares to try please let me know the result. I am making the assumption that they are using the ajaxterm for their service and that if it works then it will work for direct ssh into my ubuntu box.

thanks and I do of course understand if nobody decides to test this.
extendedping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:24 PM   #2
inovaovao
inovaovao began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX (International Wireless)
I've created an account and tried to connect to a server from my Kindle DX, but wasn't able to give my login and password to the server as the layout of the paged was messed up. The kindle browser is quite limited in capability.

I say forget about it.
inovaovao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2010, 09:27 PM   #3
extendedping
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by inovaovao View Post
I've created an account and tried to connect to a server from my Kindle DX, but wasn't able to give my login and password to the server as the layout of the paged was messed up. The kindle browser is quite limited in capability.

I say forget about it.
thanks for trying, I guess on the regular kindle it would be really hopeless then.

I will still probably get the kindle and try to setup the ajaxterm on my home box, perhaps that page will be cleaner. anyway, I really do appreciate the effort.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:29 AM   #4
extendedping
Enthusiast

well I ordered it so I will report back if I can get it to work doing ssh in a browser to my home linux pc using ajaxterm.

I am very excited I love the thought of having basically unlimited information and a browser (though I know it is primitive) in my pocket (well almost in a pocket right).
Old 05-11-2010, 09:44 AM   #5
extendedping
Enthusiast

still waiting probably be here thursday, it the mean time, I read that some sites require to go to advanced and turn on the javascript. wondering if that would enable the https://gotossh.com/
I am really excited at the prospect of having ssh (through a browser) with unlimited free internet..
Advert
Old 05-14-2010, 10:50 AM   #6
extendedping
Enthusiast

darn ring buzzer, kindle where art thou?
Old 09-08-2010, 09:22 AM   #7
supert
supert began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx graphite
Did you have any luck?
supert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:57 AM   #8
extendedping
Enthusiast

nope wonder if the new kindle is any better.