Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-19-2010, 01:33 AM   #31
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I'm not at all surprised that efforts to take a format, PDF, that was designed to stay exactly the same from one computer to the next, and make it reflow and rearrange itself to fit different monitor sizes...well, it just seems like that's asking a whale to be a minnow, or a bird to be a pencil.

If someone can do it, fine. It just strikes me as an unrealistic expectation.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:20 AM   #32
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfpreach View Post
Try Calibre to convert, thats what I use.
I do this a lot, with PDF files that are mainly text. It doesn't always work perfectly, but it almost always results in documents that are easily readable.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2010, 08:40 AM   #33
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
Quote:
I made a little search and found it on mobileread. Developer
left about a year ago, so no news on the sopdf.
Have you installed some added libraries to your computer?
Have a look at the very first post, I think the guy is "theguru".
He mentioned some running libs, part of visual studio.
I added nothing to my computer. It just worked. (Windows 7 Home Premium)
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:21 AM   #34
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
I'm not at all surprised that efforts to take a format, PDF, that was designed to stay exactly the same from one computer to the next, and make it reflow and rearrange itself to fit different monitor sizes...well, it just seems like that's asking a whale to be a minnow, or a bird to be a pencil.

If someone can do it, fine. It just strikes me as an unrealistic expectation.
The problem is that people use it for almost everything. If ascii makes it,
you will get pdf. Good is that emails are still not in pdf. I'm still away of it
on my reader, but will take a little experiment on win node as soon as I
have a chance to get it. The one in question is xp with sp2.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:47 AM   #35
alroy
Enthusiast
alroy began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Opus/Pocket Pro/eSlick/Libre Pro
If you purchase ebooks in PDF forms, the best eReader is the Bookeen Opus. It does not use reflow and it allows you to enlarge the print by percentages. Turn the page sideways and you have perfect formating. You get an arrow at the bottom of the page every second page, but if you turn the page before the arrow, the page moves up 3/4 of the eReader. The next page is the bottom of the PDF page and you don't need to flip the page until you finish the last line.
alroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2010, 01:46 AM   #36
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by alroy View Post
If you purchase ebooks in PDF forms, the best eReader is the Bookeen Opus. It does not use reflow and it allows you to enlarge the print by percentages. Turn the page sideways and you have perfect formating. You get an arrow at the bottom of the page every second page, but if you turn the page before the arrow, the page moves up 3/4 of the eReader. The next page is the bottom of the PDF page and you don't need to flip the page until you finish the last line.
Crikey

This is your second post in the Kobo forum spruiking the Bookeen Opus which is not really a Kobocentric solution
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:29 AM   #37
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alroy View Post
Since epub is an open format, I'd like to use it. In contrary, pdf
is not open format, so I avoid it.
On the serious side, pdf is intended to stay as it is. Nobody had
any thoughts to have it scaled. Now, we have almost all of inter-
net in that format. It could be fine on the desktop monitor. On
6 inch screen, the trouble comes. The previously mentioned app
removes margins and makes it more readable, I assume. Persona-
lly I tried about zillion ways to go around and found none. I cannot
convert my hand into the wing, however I try. Maybe it's time to
let pdf stay where it is and use epub?
Old 08-20-2010, 11:48 AM   #38
zoran
himself

Ah, found bookeen site. It is 5 inch device!!! Specs say
is runs almost the same battery and memory amount.
Not a word of sd card adapter? Also, it runs linux 2.6.
It is fine and preferred. From firmwares for routers, I
learnt that small footprint deserved 2.4, since it was
not so bulky.
What makes me laugh is the way firmwares all around
the world treat us as a stupid children. Why we have
"loading" and circling wheel at the same time during
book load? The wheel has to be refreshed all the time.
Also, do we need smart words again and again, waiting
to load? Do we need free books, when we already could
have it free as download? Those frills are not needed,
I think.
To short, Kobo looks better than bookeen.

Edit: it has mini slot. And two column pdf. Even eagle
would not read that.

Last edited by zoran; 08-20-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:35 AM   #39
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vardd View Post
You can always use Calibre, but my experience with it hasn't been satisfying at all.
I've converted a number of books from PDF via Calibre and my experience has been quite satisfying. All the books I've converted, though, have been pretty much pure text. If you're having troubles, check out the Calibre forum here on Mobileread - the author of Calibre is a regular participant.

There are some things that Calibre doesn't do quite right, and I find that Sigil can usually sort those out quickly. The regular expression find&replace in Sigil is pretty good to delete the embedded page numbers and page headers/footers from the entire book with just a couple of commands.

What takes the longest, and for a typical book it's 5 to 10 minutes is to set up the TOC and chapter breaks through the book. I'd like to see Sigil enhanced to optomize that.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:37 AM   #40
zoran
himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterRage View Post

There are some things that Calibre doesn't do quite right, and I find that Sigil can usually sort those out quickly. The regular expression find&replace in Sigil is pretty good to delete the embedded page numbers and page headers/footers from the entire book with just a couple of commands.
Exactly I was doing to embellish books. And I almost always has to
try again and again and finally found I could read it anyway.

Quote:
What takes the longest, and for a typical book it's 5 to 10 minutes is to set up the TOC and chapter breaks through the book. I'd like to see Sigil enhanced to optomize that.
I could only second that. Even after toc making, I it is boring and tedious.
Lasts almost longer than book reading.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:02 PM   #41
jonnybraga
jonnybraga began at the beginning.

The only issue I've been having with converting pdf's to epub files is the paragraphs.
Calibre ends a paragraph in the middle of a sentence and I have paragraphs that go on for pages without a break. HamsterRage, how do u get to fix this kind of problem? thanks in advance.
jonnybraga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:46 PM   #42
mcnkldzyn
mcnkldzyn began at the beginning.

Has anyone found that the 1.4 firmware upgraded "fixed" the PDF problem?
mcnkldzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:55 PM   #43
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
No--but I have high hopes for it being included in the next update. Sameer mentioned that they had hoped to have it in 1.4 but ran into some testing glitches that prevented it from being included then.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:22 PM   #44
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Perhaps as ereader devices become more popular someone will write an application that allows a PDF document to be changed to a different page size, then saved. There are PDF editors out there that will do this, but they are very expensive because they do everything. EPub is great for text (novels etc) but can be a pain for books with graphics, charts etc, like most textbooks.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:44 PM   #45
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I think the ultimate goal is PDF reflow so that PDF files can be viewed equally well on devices of various sizes.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote