Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-21-2009, 07:13 PM   #16
edge777
Kindle Enthusiastic
edge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2 International
Haha, no prob, but I'm not sure I can do it tonight. I'm guessing you want just the Sans font (the Serif is the one with the ends that looks a little fancier).

In regards to Chinese characters, if you send over a font file, I can package that as well.
edge777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:45 AM   #17
swede
swede began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Intl
Yes the one thats called Sans will do right (we call them Serif and Sans Serif in sweden, i think Sans means without)

:-)

i stay upp late tonight reading and waiting then. I could probably do this myself if i had more understanding about the python and so on...
swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2009, 09:23 PM   #18
edge777
Kindle Enthusiastic
edge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enough

Kindle 2, International, DX - Unicode Font Hack - Droid Sans (Regular, Bold, Italic)

Hey Swede,

Here are the UFH files using Droid Sans (Sans Serif). I've included files for Kindle 2, Kindle International (no JB required), and the Kindle DX. Let me know how it goes, and if you like, upload some screen shots (Alt-Shift-G).

Since Droid Sans only has Regular and Bold, I've redone the files using Sans for those, and then Serif for the Italics (so that Italics still display).
Attached Files
File Type: zip UFH_Droid_Sans.zip (3.52 MB, 680 views)

Last edited by edge777; 11-24-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:13 PM   #19
edge777
Kindle Enthusiastic

Kindle 2, International, DX - Unicode Font Hack - Chinese characters

ichbindasauge asked me to create font files using the Arial Unicode font which will support Chinese and German characters. Here are the font files for the Kindle 2, Kindle International (no JB required), and the Kindle DX. I have not tested these files on my Kindle, but the font file did validate on my Mac OSX machine. If you install them, please let us know how it goes and send screen shots (Alt-Shift-G, screenshot files are stored in the documents folder). Thanks!

P.S. The original poster asked if I could create a version that combined the Unicode font (which has almost 60,000 glyphs) with Helvetica or Georgia. I tried, unfortunately Font Studio Pro only allows me to save a font file with 6,400 glyphs or less. So, to have the Chinese characters, the Latin font must remain at Arial. Sorry. Still very interested to see how the Kindle reacts to a 15 MB font file - please post your results.

Last edited by edge777; 11-23-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:25 PM   #20
swede

Tnx edge777!

Ive tried the sans-version, but the kindle ui keeps on restarting when opening a book. :-(
Advert
Old 11-24-2009, 09:01 AM   #21
edge777
Kindle Enthusiastic

Hmm, that is an odd response, as if there's an error it doesn't even get to the main menu but just keeps rebooting. So, you can see the main menu and browse it? Does it do this with all books?
Old 11-24-2009, 01:50 PM   #22
edge777
Kindle Enthusiastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by swede View Post
Tnx edge777!

Ive tried the sans-version, but the kindle ui keeps on restarting when opening a book. :-(
I've remade the BIN file, making sure that all the font files were validated (they all showed fine). I also made some changes because the Sans Serif only includes Regular and Bold, so I used the Serif for Italic and Italic-Bold. I've updated the file at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=18. Please check it out and let me know how it works. Thanks.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:35 PM   #23
swede

edge777,

Tnx very very much! The files you sent to my private mailbox works, and the kindle doesnt restart the UI on my Kindle.

My first impression with this font is that its the best, since it doesnt use antialiasing, and are really clean.

took a screendump
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-30022.gif
Views:	561
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	40032  
Old 11-24-2009, 04:38 PM   #24
swede

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge777 View Post
Hmm, that is an odd response, as if there's an error it doesn't even get to the main menu but just keeps rebooting. So, you can see the main menu and browse it? Does it do this with all books?
I tried only two books. The main menu worked, and i could select different books, but when opening a book the UI crasched/rebooted. but the new version works =)
Old 11-24-2009, 04:52 PM   #25
ichbindasauge
Connoisseur
ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 US, iPad, Samsung Win 8 Tablet
thanks also for the Arial files. The update did install and most things look great - but the Chinese characters don't work unfortunately. But different from other fonts, where the characters show up as squares, with this font you see nothing on the screen.
ichbindasauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:42 PM   #26
edge777
Kindle Enthusiastic

Hmm, that's odd. No idea why or why not. A new update (2.3) just came out today. It won't update with your hacks installed, but currently hacks won't work on 2.3, so if you're happy with the device, I'd wait for a hack. That being said, looks like native PDF is in the new update, so that's awesome for international books (if the screen size isn't too small).
Old 11-24-2009, 05:44 PM   #27
edge777
Kindle Enthusiastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by swede View Post
edge777,

Tnx very very much! The files you sent to my private mailbox works, and the kindle doesnt restart the UI on my Kindle.

My first impression with this font is that its the best, since it doesnt use antialiasing, and are really clean.

took a screendump
Good to hear - I've updated the file above with the working version. It's nice to not only see the regular Droid font, but also the Bold and Italic where they should be.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:28 PM   #28
bzImage
Enthusiast
bzImage doesn't litterbzImage doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
hi guys, some days ago i installed the UFH_Droid_full, now i want the new firware for my kindle, so i get rid of the screen_saver directory on /system and look for an uninstaller for the UFH_Droid font, but found none since the archive only has install files no uninstall there.

so i went to blogkindle and installed the update_ufh_unisntall-k2i.bin on my kindle, it installed sucesfully and i see that the font's now are changed.

but when i try to update to the official firmware (2.3) i got an "the update was not successful, kindle is restarting.." error.

so my questions..

I installed UFH_Droid, update_ufh_unisntall-k2i.bin remove all the fonts hacks ?

How can i make sure that there are no more hacks installed ? (a file to check on the mounted kindle ? what needs to be where ? )

SOLVED !!! i was missing to install the update_screensaverhack-uninstall-k2i.bin from this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=60083&page=2

Last edited by bzImage; 11-24-2009 at 06:39 PM.
bzImage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:38 PM   #29
jyavenard
Zealot
jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzImage View Post
hi guys, some days ago i installed the UFH_Droid_full, now i want the new firware for my kindle, so i get rid of the screen_saver directory on /system and look for an uninstaller for the UFH_Droid font, but found none since the archive only has install files no uninstall there.

so i went to blogkindle and installed the update_ufh_unisntall-k2i.bin on my kindle, it installed sucesfully and i see that the font's now are changed.

but when i try to update to the official firmware (2.3) i got an "the update was not successful, kindle is restarting.." error.

so my questions..

I installed UFH_Droid, update_ufh_unisntall-k2i.bin remove all the fonts hacks ?

How can i make sure that there are no more hacks installed ? (a file to check on the mounted kindle ? what needs to be where ? )
Last time Edge777 ran his uninstaller ; he bricked his device ...
So I'm guessing something isn't quite right in either the installer or the uninstaller.
jyavenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:42 PM   #30
edge777
Kindle Enthusiastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyavenard View Post
Last time Edge777 ran his uninstaller ; he bricked his device ...
So I'm guessing something isn't quite right in either the installer or the uninstaller.
It wasn't "my" uninstaller, lol - just the stock uninstaller. Not sure what happened, but all's been good since (ever created a number of custom font hacks for others). Course, now that 2.3 is out, that's all moot, lol. I love the new features, but I'm gonna wait until a hack comes before moving into that camp, lol.