Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 07-31-2009, 09:15 AM   #16
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's a view of the actual file system (or appears to be, at least).

I don't currently have a microSD card, but I'm guessing that it will appear as a "folder" at the root level of the file system.
I did my testing on the pre-release Gen 3 firmware we got at the rendez-vous, but I suspect that there are no significant differences on this part.

You navigate the actual folders on the device, and this is not limited to the standard Gen3 folders.
Only the file formats known to the device are shown.

HarryT's guess is correct, the SD card appears as another "folder" at the root of the file system shown. So you have a "Cybook" item and an "SD" item there.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:15 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Arrrgghhhh - no bookmarks! Unless I'm missing a way to set them. That's a bit of a pain.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2009, 09:20 AM   #18
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Arrrgghhhh - no bookmarks! Unless I'm missing a way to set them. That's a bit of a pain.
That would indeed be a pain !
Let's hope you will find it.
Or maybe it depends on the file format.
On which format are you testing ?
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:44 AM   #19
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
Unfortuately, I think I remember the bookeen team at the Paris meetup saying that there were no bookmarks in this version of the firmware. But they are working on it and hope to include it in a future firmware (gosh, one becomes afraid of writing such things

Congrats on you new Opus anyway, I hope you enjoy it!
Have you decided on which book you'll read first on it?
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:50 AM   #20
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
How well does it handle images in ePub? I tried Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan: The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes v1 22 may 2009 on the mobile ADE version of the EZ Reader (Hanlin V3) firmware. Its "zoom" options for ePubs are just different font sizes (as expected), but images are also magnified so that they are much larger than the screen (they typically only fit on the screen at the smallest font size, which is very small).

I do like the landscape option for ADE on the EZ Reader. This may be even more useful on a 5" screen. I always used by Nokia 770 (4.1" screen) in landscape mode because longer lines have less space wasted in fitting words to the ends of lines.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2009, 10:07 AM   #21
Soc-psychologist
Soc-psychologist began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Cybook Opus, N91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
How's reading compared to the 6"-Cybook? Is the screen to small or does it all work out fine?
Quite nice actually. I had very few complaints of the pdf-zoom-algorithm of the Gen3. It was not perfect, nor did I expect it to be. I would say that this is even better. The 5 inch screen is used to the max and the progress bars etc. are thinner and and the DPI being higher than in the 6 inch of the Gen3, I'd dare to make the suggestion (even without measuring) that the 5 inch screen displays more information than the 6 inch screen (which was not bad in the first place). Both devices could have more zooming steps programmed in them (perhaps 5% intervals?) to make the reading yet more enjoyable.

The folder view is elegant and chick. Very stylish icons in the preselected books provided with the device. (And a good selection of public domain books I might add).

--Michael
Soc-psychologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:11 AM   #22
Soc-psychologist

Quote:
A huge pain. That is what I lamented as well. Cool-Er has bookmarking even for .pdf files! So this is a minus for the Bookeen team.

--Michael

Last edited by Soc-psychologist; 07-31-2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:14 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh well, I can live without them. It would be nice to have them, though.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:20 AM   #24
Soc-psychologist

Quote:
Oh well, I can live without them. It would be nice to have them, though.
I can live without it as well, but I use it as a tool and can not make notes on the pages, so bookmarks would help to fetch the information needed.

--Michael
Old 07-31-2009, 10:20 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So if HarryT going to liberate his Mobipocket eBooks and go ePub on them?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:25 AM   #26
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soc-psychologist View Post
I'd dare to make the suggestion (even without measuring) that the 5 inch screen displays more information than the 6 inch screen
They are both 800x600 screens so they are probably displaying exactly the same information. It could look better on the 5" (e.g. thinner progress bars) even if both are displaying exactly the same screen image.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:29 AM   #27
Soc-psychologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
They are both 800x600 screens so they are probably displaying exactly the same information. It could look better on the 5" (e.g. thinner progress bars) even if both are displaying exactly the same screen image.
The progress bar in Opus is /(seems?) thinner in proportion to the screen than the corresponding progress bar in Gen3.

Is what I ment.

EDIT:

Measured, the same amount of information/screen.

--Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31072009.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	283.6 KB
ID:	33353  

Last edited by Soc-psychologist; 07-31-2009 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:33 AM   #28
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
No stupid margin page numbers - the page number is on the status bar.
Great!

Quote:
All you can change is the font size (the same 12 size selections as the Gen3 has), but if you convert your Mobi books to ePub with Calibre, it's very easy to select the font, margins, etc, at that stage.
But that's not "on the fly". And that means you cannot choose your default base font

Does the default font have at least real italics? What i've seen of ADE in windows is not italics but slanted (you can tell in on the shape of "a", "f", "g"...). The last ePUB I've uploaded (Sylvie and Bruno) has lots of italics.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:56 AM   #29
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Is the embolden feature still available?
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:39 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
But that's not "on the fly". And that means you cannot choose your default base font n:
Very true, but ePub is a "specify everything in the book" format. That's not all bad - eg it allows you to have multiple fonts within the book, which Mobi doesn't.

Quote:
Does the default font have at least real italics? What i've seen of ADE in windows is not italics but slanted (you can tell in on the shape of "a", "f", "g"...). The last ePUB I've uploaded (Sylvie and Bruno) has lots of italics.
I've just checked and you're right - no "real" italics.

Don't forget that you will have the option of using Mobi firmware at some point, and retaining everything you have at present with the Gen3. ePub is definitely a format where you gain some features and lose others compared to Mobi.