Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: Do I actually need a dictionary on my reader?
Yes, I need a dictionary on my reader 143 53.96%
No, I do not need a dictionary on my reader 122 46.04%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2009, 04:16 AM   #61
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
I don't *need* a dictionary - but I wouldn't buy an ebook reader without it.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:23 AM   #62
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodellboy View Post
I love the online dictionary on my Kindle! I do well on vocabulary tests. People tell me that I have a broad vocabulary. But since we build most of our vocabulary through encountering words in context, we often have incomplete or skewed definitions in our minds. An online dictionary makes it very convenient to get a more accurate understanding of a word's meaning and origin. To me, that's exciting.
excellent points ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2009, 04:39 AM   #63
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
I love the idea of being able to select a word and have a dictionary definition pop up. Currently, I use a paper dictionary at home when watching TV and hear words I don't understand (or have a disagreement with the wife). On the computer, I rightclick a word and have the option to lookup the definition (I think it is a Firefox plugin, might be standard, I just don't know!)

When reading, I am rarely at home so never get the chance to look something up at the time.

I have lived 33 years without a dictionary to hand when reading my books, I think I can survive another 33 years without one. If I did have the function to use one though, it would still be put to use!
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:37 AM   #64
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I need dictionary.
Unfortunately, English doesn't hold "mother tongue" position in my life. So, when I read a book, sometimes I need a dictioanry. When I was reading pbooks, I used Quicktionary v1. Israeli scanner dictionary, English-Russian. When I bought Sony Reader PRS-500, I had to spend another £165 for Ectaco English-Russian dictionary. Means I always have to bring another gadget with me when I go/travel somewhere.

Having a dictionary (even English-English) on Sony Reader would be the single most wanted feature for me.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:41 AM   #65
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
A good spell checker, well, that is something I would be lost without. Totally lost
On ebook Reader?
Advert
Old 05-22-2009, 07:48 AM   #66
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm just trying to find out if it would be a deal-breaker if ePub support does not come with an in-line dictionary.
Deal-breaker for me is quality of the reader, such as screen, battery life and formfactor. For me - no ebook reader comes close to Sony Reader PRS-505. However, the moment there is another ebook reader as good as Sony and it gets dictionary - Bye Bye Sony Reader.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:58 AM   #67
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
I don't *need* a dictionary - but I wouldn't buy an ebook reader without it.
In my book this would be a YES as this question is somewhat about "does an eReader needs a dictionary function"...

This has been the thread creators intention:
Quote:
I'm just trying to find out if it would be a deal-breaker if ePub support does not come with an in-line dictionary.
At the moment only Mobi is supporting dictionaries and if eReaders supporting ePUB wouldn't support this in future updates/releases it really seems to be a "deal-breaker"!
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:44 AM   #68
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Quote:
The word want has been removed because this is about need and not want. So do you actually need a dictionary on your reader? Just wanting one is a no. You have to actually need one to vote yes.
Well, most of us don't need a digital reader, so probably then most of us don't need a dictionary for the digital reader either?
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 01:23 AM   #69
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Need one? Well I need food, water, air, shelter, clothes, and books. So no I don't "need" one but want? Oh baby do I want one! It's in the 'way cool' category of must haves on my next ereader. I'm still limping along with my Sony 500 and it's still working great after at least 2 years but I'm wondering if the screen has become slightly grayer since I bought it. A built in dictionary I would use alot. Most of the time when I came across a word I dont know I'm too lazy to go upstairs and find the dictionary and look it up so I just bleep past it. If a dictionary was built in and took a minimum if effort and time to access you bet I would. I'm going to buy a Kindle DX as soon as they start shipping them and you all report that you love yours and there's no hidden bugs. I can hardly wait.

Last edited by Roy White; 05-25-2009 at 01:27 AM.
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:44 AM   #70
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Nope....the dictionary wasn't worth paying an extra $90 (was looking at the Kindle) for and since having my sony ereader, Ive only been tempted to look up a word a couple times, and dictionary.com did me just fine and it's FREE.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:15 AM   #71
Jaime_Astorga
Member Retired
Jaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS-350-SC: Sony Reader Pocket Edition
While I think figuring words out from context can lead to some ambiguity, if you read more and more you start to find the word used in different situations and can usually eliminate the ambiguity by process of elimination (i.e. "what do all of these contexts share in common?).
Jaime_Astorga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:42 AM   #72
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Learning a new word through context can cause errors. For years I thought that the phrase "livid with anger" meant "red in the face" because that's what I saw when people became angry. Many of the people around me thought the same. I was astonished when I looked it up and discovered that it meant "white with anger".
It actually means neither - it means "to be of a bluish colour", from Latin "lividus" - "blue".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:38 AM   #73
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
It actually means all of those things, as well as simply "angry". The root is from the Latin, and refers to the pale, blueish, bruised look of a dead body (hence the term 'lividity'), but to the extent that one make look dead but still be alive, it's usually referring to the pallid or white color. I believe the phrase "you can argue until you're blue in the face" comes from the same idea. In any case, when people start using the phrase not to refer to a specific color but to a specific emotion, then the word no longer means that color. We may call someone who is sad 'blue', and they may even 'sing the blues', but none of those refer to the actual color.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:02 AM   #74
IgnareAcademy
Banned
IgnareAcademy is on a distinguished road

Device: Hanlin clone
Currently I am reading German books in my Hanlin clone thanks to the latest LBook firmware and a freedict German-English dictionary. I would not read German books otherwise.
Anyway, people who read books to become brighter obviously want to precisely understand what they are reading, and have paper dictionaries in their home, and obviously would find it convenient/necessary to have dictionaries inside their e-book reader.
IgnareAcademy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:55 AM   #75
cheese bogart
Connoisseur
cheese bogart has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: prs-505 (Silver), Ipad
"What I've noticed from this thread is that certain companies have probably lost quite a lot of customers for there e-devices by not having dictionary support. Whereas I doubt there are many people who would say to themselves 'I'm not buying that, it's got a dictionary on it'.

For me, it's not whether it comes down to being a need or a want, but a basic feature that all e-devices should have."

The above is what I put on the other poll and I think its just as apt for this one. The problem with polls like these is that you really don't find out anything from them. Just as if I went out into to the street and asked the average joe who owns a kindle does he need/want epub as a format. I'm guessing the result would probably swing towards no.

Maybe a better poll would have been something like this:

Q: Out of the following, which additional function do think is the most important?

1: WiFi
2: 3G
3: Dictionary
4: MP3 Player
and so on

I not sure how easy it is to set up the polls and whether you are be able to do one that enables the voter to list in order preference, as that would be better.
cheese bogart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary