Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #46
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Buying a book by a known author, then no, the cover is almost immaterial (though I would notice if it was terrible).

If I'm just browsing, then yes it does help in the selection process. Browsing a page that shows thumbnails and titles of books, the difference between a well designed cover and a poor one can be the difference between clicking on one book or another to read the blurb and ultimately buy it.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #47
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I would never buy a book whose cover features a mostly naked guy with great muscles. Experience has taught me that these just aren't my kind of books. And books that feature a courtroom or a gavel or Lady Justice on the cover aren't either. Covers make a difference but for me it's mostly in the negatives.

If a book has an acceptable cover than I read the blurb, maybe some reviews, a synopsis of the story.
I avoid covers that look scary or have alot of blood on them. I don't read thrillers or anything gory. I don't need the nightmares.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2013, 03:33 PM   #48
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, LG4
I avoid covers that have video game models in them.
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #49
theinfamousj
Groupie
theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (pink back)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do you mean the book cover is in 3D? How have they done that?
I would buy a Magic Eye book cover for sure!
theinfamousj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Nah. I'm too nice and I have two brothers. One who is into hot rods. My Dad is a mechanic. I grew up around those type posters hung everywhere.
I know the type of posters. The type where if you notice the vehicle, have eye problems.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #51
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Yes.

I wasn't speaking of displaying the cover on an e-reader, or of buying books by an author already known to you; I was talking about browsing for a book. A cover image conveys a lot of information that tells me instantly if I want to take a closer look.
I don't browse for a book by looking at the pretty pictures.

For example, I've signed out more than a hundred ebooks from my library over the past couple of years. Not once did I browse aimlessly through the library's selection. I accessed all those books by searching for an author or title that I wanted. I find books through research and reviews and recommendations. This forum is a great resource for that, I get information about books without any covers (I have blockers on my browser so no images show in posts).

I don't particularly notice covers when I click on a page at Amazon or anywhere else. I scroll straight past covers to the description or review. I bought an ebook a couple of days ago and I don't have any idea what the cover looked like. When I checked in calibre just now, it downloaded with a generic white cover with the title and author name. I don't use the cover view in calibre and I don't replace generic covers.

I did specifically say in my earlier post that I'm not typical, but it shouldn't be that big of a stretch to understand that not everyone cares about book covers.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
My favorite illustrator, Chris McGrath has a web site I browse every once in a while. His covers make me drool, as they seem to be a slice out of time in a story I want to read. Because if it's half as good as the cover it'll be a great buy.
Chris is the one who draws covers without actually having read the book. Take a look at his covers for The Dresden Files series. All wrong. Harry does not wear a hat and early on, his cloth duster was changed for a leather duster. So on most of the covers, we have Harry wearing a hat with a cloth duster. That's wrong. It just doesn't work. I'm sorry, but when the illustrator gets such simple details wrong, it's not a sign that the illustrator actually cares.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do you mean the book cover is in 3D? How have they done that?
The cover is not 3D. The cover is just a film poster (well, the new cover) and the movie does not need to be in 3D. It's just a gimmick to be able to sell higher priced tickets. Plus, I'm not a fan of wearing sunglasses while watching a movie.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #54
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
I did specifically say in my earlier post that I'm not typical, but it shouldn't be that big of a stretch to understand that not everyone cares about book covers.
It would seem it's nigh on inconthievable.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #55
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by readingaloud View Post
The original cover art for The Great Gatsby was done before the book was finished, and Fitzgerald claims to have written it into the book. In at least that case, the cover does matter.
Covers are a factor in my buying decisions, but they're not the only factor. When I bought an e-book version of The Great Gatsby, I ended up choosing an edition with a cover I don't much like but with many explanatory notes. The notes helped me better understand all the cultural references, and were ultimately more important than the cover in this particular case.

I greatly prefer the blue cover for its haunting and mysterious quality.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:18 PM   #56
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura, Nexus 9
I like a nice cover design and a bad one can really put me off a book even by an author I like. I'll often try to find a nicer cover. This is a lot easier with ebooks as you can simply replace the cover.

We often forget that books are objects. Although we read them for their contents, we can still take pleasure in a well-designed cover and well-bound (or formatted) book. I love Folio Society books because they have unique cover designs and are better bound and crafted than any mainstream paperback or hardback.
corroonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:37 PM   #57
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
A nice cover is one positive factor (DRM-free status, ePub format, no geographic restrictions are others) that I take into account. It doesn't affect whether or not I ultimately buy the book, but they may affect how much I am willing to pay, whether I buy the book now or leave it to sit in my wishlist for a while, and which publisher's edition I choose.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #58
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I'm with Harry. I don't know that I pay much attention to covers when I look at Amazon pages for books (although I'm sure that a lousy cover will jump off the screen at me), and I have my kindle to display list views, so I don't really see the covers at all anymore. I'd be tempted to have the cover display as my screen saver like I have set up on my Sony 350, except that I have one of the wake/sleep covers for my Paperwhite, and so would still never see the covery anyway.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #59
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
I want covers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesMacs View Post
The New York Times recently had an article about the competing book covers for "The Great Gatsby": the original blue cover with the disembodied face, and a movie tie-in edition featuring the cast from the new Baz Luhrmann film.

This got me thinking: do book covers make a difference, especially with e-books?

Despite the saying that "you can't judge a book by its cover", I find myself doing that. When I see a cover that looks as it took all of 30 seconds to design, it makes me wonder, perhaps unfairly, how carelessly produced the contents are if so little attention was given to the cover. And I wonder about that even in the era of e-books, when covers are less visible than before.

What are your thoughts on this?
It is every bit as important as on music albums. maybe more so in ebooks than in a paper based Brick and mortar bookstore. Think about how we shop for books, both online and in person.

Online, when we browse we see the cover (or a grey rectangle) with the name and a bit of exposition about the book. That bit of catalogue that represents someone's book is displayed in a long list of books with maybe similar titles and maybe similarly named authors depending on how we sort.

A good cover can make a book stand out in a crowd of rectangles and tiny fonts.

But in a Brick and mortar store, the books are divided up by genre and placed side by side with often just the spines showing. I would suggest the title and spine decoration is more important in such a situation than the cover (though I wouldn't minimize cover art too much, once they pull a book, they need to be encouraged to open it.)

Good cover art is good business and more fun for browsing regardless of the situation.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #60
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Covers help me remember the book better.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote