Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-27-2013, 11:25 AM   #16
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
That was mentioned somewhere here - that the screen connector has been known to come lose.

The only two things I can think of that would prevent the screen flashing when the kernel driver starts, are:
  • Screen not connected ;
  • U-Boot can't find a valid kernel image and the machine is sitting at the U-Boot prompt.
(Which is kind of hard to see without the serial port connections.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #17
Marclee
Marclee is clearly one to watchMarclee is clearly one to watchMarclee is clearly one to watchMarclee is clearly one to watchMarclee is clearly one to watchMarclee is clearly one to watchMarclee is clearly one to watchMarclee is clearly one to watchMarclee is clearly one to watchMarclee is clearly one to watchMarclee is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Touch
How can we check if it's a broken screen?

Here's a pic I took imgur
Marclee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2013, 12:20 PM   #18
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Can't remember when exactly (or if it even happens in diags), but the LED flashes for a brief time at one point during the boot process. Might be worth checking, too.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:32 PM   #19
Marclee
Marclee is clearly one to watchMarclee is clearly one to watchMarclee is clearly one to watchMarclee is clearly one to watchMarclee is clearly one to watchMarclee is clearly one to watchMarclee is clearly one to watchMarclee is clearly one to watchMarclee is clearly one to watchMarclee is clearly one to watchMarclee is clearly one to watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
  • Screen not connected ;
  • U-Boot can't find a valid kernel image and the machine is sitting at the U-Boot prompt.
(Which is kind of hard to see without the serial port connections.)

Soooo...I could go and buy me usb-to-serial cable and then fire up a connection? Is that feasible? I don't have much technical knowledge but I am almost dependent on this device.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #20
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Check the index pages for a tear-down video or two - then check if that screen cable has come loose from the connector.
Advert
Old 01-28-2013, 04:07 AM   #21
Marclee

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Check the index pages for a tear-down video or two - then check if that screen cable has come loose from the connector.
Nope...opened it up and the screen-connector was snugly plugged in. Reinserted, etc. No change.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:41 AM   #22
Marclee

Are you friggin' kidding me???

I came home from a local electronics shop mainly because I wanted to get a laserpointer for my cat but also so that I could get a screwdriver set and play around with the hardware of the kindle a bit more.

Now, I ejected the battery and wanted to test the battery with my newly bought multitester. 4,13V...I guess the multitester is of shitty quality?

Well, I have totally given up at this point. I plug in the battery again and DAMN...a new screen! It's the kindle tree now! I am excited and play around and the screen responds to the power button. It doesn't boot up though because I have flashed it with a new kernel I think and haven't put up the partition yet.

Long story short: I managed to get into diags mode! I continue debricking now.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:56 AM   #23
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marclee View Post
Now, I ejected the battery and wanted to test the battery with my newly bought multitester. 4,13V...I guess the multitester is of shitty quality?
Nope.
That is about a 70% charge or better - full charge is 4.2v
Old 01-28-2013, 06:10 AM   #24
Marclee

Alright, DONE.

I am happy again and want to thank you all!! I wouldn't have gotten it back without you guys.
Thank you twobob, ixtab, knc1, NiLuJe and silver18!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:33 AM   #25
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Nice one.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote