Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-26-2012, 01:13 AM   #1
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
Whether to cover the iPad screen

I have just bought the new iPad and are thinking about covers etc for it. I would be very interested in what you others think (ESP people who have had an iPad for a while) about whether to get a cover for the screen (see though cover)
I have heard that its not necessary. I would appreciate your opinion

I suppose what I am asking is, just how strong, hard is the iPad screen? Is it easy to scratch?
Thanks very much
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:21 AM   #2
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
The new iPad has gorilla glass, google it for good examples on the stuff I've thought about getting one for the back though.
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2012, 03:30 AM   #3
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeh, I have a cover for the back (and sides) but wondering about the cover
Old 03-26-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
PodPeople
Connoisseur
PodPeople doesn't litterPodPeople doesn't litter

Device: Nook Simple Touch, iPad 3, Kindle 4B
This folio cover I bought from Amazon is good and cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...01_i00_details

The only problem is the magnets which hold the front cover closed do not turn off the New iPad.
PodPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:43 AM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I've tried screen protectors on iPhone and iPad. Complete waste of time if you ask me. None of the iDevices in this house have them any more.

Just wipe the glass with a spectacle- or TV-cleaning cloth if it gets smudgy.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2012, 08:50 PM   #6
injapan
Addict

Thanks guys
Old 03-26-2012, 10:09 PM   #7
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
It sounds like you are talking about a screen protectors, not a 'cover'. In that case - no, you probably won't need one. The glass is pretty robust - I had my ipad for 2+ years, used it all the time, traveled with it everywhere - and it has no marks, scratches, anything.

I tried a screen protector at first. But they always create problems - air bubbles at the least.

Now, a cover... you do need a cover. For when you put it in a bag or whatnot. But I think that's not what you were asking.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:05 PM   #8
injapan
Addict

Yes, you are right. I am actually talking about screen protectors and thanks for the advice
Old 03-27-2012, 12:46 AM   #9
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I want an antiglare protector. I dont always use mine in the house and it does help somewhat. I bought some by Belkin which are supposed to be for ipad2 and ipad3, and (there were two in the pack, I applied one) it was just HORRIBLE.

I don't know how the antiglare is designed, but I could see small lines running through the protector and it really detracted from the appearance, and the readability, of the screen.

Unless one of these companies comes up with something useful, I wont be using a protector, but I will continue to use the Apple cover. I also bought an Ipad2 cover by Cygnett called the Smartsound which will do as an interim protection for the back of the ipad until such time as one of these 3rd party companies produce something like it, for the 3.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:32 AM   #10
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I have never had a screen protector for any of my devices, including iPod Touch, iPad and iPhone. I also never had any kind of cover before, but a few months ago I bought a Bamboo stylus and so I bought a cover with a stylus holder, which I'm very happy with. Now I also have a cover for my iPhone.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:44 PM   #11
Rick G
Renaissance Geek
Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Rick G has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: iPad & kindle
I stopped using screen protectors like the invisible shield for myself after the iPhone 3G. Tried one for the iPad, only to have my kids peel it off within a day.

I currently use a smart cover for my iPad. It keeps the screen covered when I'm not using it and acts as a stand when I am. The "family" iPad is encased in a Kraken 2 cover. It comes with a built in screen protector. All in all it's not as sturdy as an otterbox, but it cost half as much and gets the job done.

Last edited by Rick G; 03-31-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:28 AM   #12
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
I don't think you need a screen protector. I use the smart cover on mine & it's enough.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:04 AM   #13
mbelec
Addict
mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, Ipad 3
I agree; mine seems to be totally scratch resistant. I picked up an eyeglass cleaning cloth at Walmart that cleans it up nicely, and bought a few of those rubber tipped "pens" on ebay that work great and reduce the finger prints.

I wish, however, that there was some sort of removable sheet I could put over it when I'm in bright light to reduce the glare.
mbelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:27 AM   #14
Klein Nijenhuis
Zealot
Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Onyx Boox
looking for reviewers

Dear all,

Gecko Covers is looking for reviewers for their Apple iPad 3 protection cover (luxe model). We would like to ship three covers to anyone interested in receiving our product and writing a review on it. If interested, please sent me a personal message. First three reactions will receive a cover (black or red).

A short description of the cover:
The Apple iPad 3 cover is a stylish and multifunctional protective case. The exterior is made of high quality synthetic leather and the interior is finished with silver-gray velvet. We have chosen to design the cover so that your iPad 3 can be clicked into the case, so the iPad can be easily attached and removed.

The iPad 3 luxe cover distinguishes itself from the regular model through its multifunctional design. The cover can be used in several positions. Moreover, the click-in system and its closing mechanism make use of magnets.

Attached you will find a picture of the cover.

Kind regards,

Gecko Covers team
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2343.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	85091  
Klein Nijenhuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:06 AM   #15
pphilipp
Addict
pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Apple iPad 3 (I have owned many other tablets)
Screen protectors were recommended for the old tablets which used stylus pens and were prone to getting scratched. The iPad is a different story. It is used with the soft finger, not a hard object. It is also made of an extremely strong Corningware glass. I do not recommend covering such a gorgeous screen with any type of adhesive protector.
pphilipp is offline   Reply With Quote