Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 05-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #1
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Probably stupid Dropbox question

Hi all,

My Dad has the Kindle Fire. His Calibre library lives in his Dropbox, but when I went to the Calibre folder on the Fire and tried to download a non-DRM'd .mobi file, it gave me an error such as "can't open this file." Is there a way to force a download in the Dropbox app? I have a file manager and can then move the file to the Books (or Documents) folder.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
Hi all,

My Dad has the Kindle Fire. His Calibre library lives in his Dropbox, but when I went to the Calibre folder on the Fire and tried to download a non-DRM'd .mobi file, it gave me an error such as "can't open this file." Is there a way to force a download in the Dropbox app? I have a file manager and can then move the file to the Books (or Documents) folder.
You have to long press on the file then choose export. Pick the books or documents folder and it will download to the Fire. After that you will need to either reboot or force close the kindle app to get the Fire to put the book on its shelves so you can read it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Aha I knew there was a way Thank you.

(How weird that you have to reboot to get it to see a file!)
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
Aha I knew there was a way Thank you.

(How weird that you have to reboot to get it to see a file!)
I just force close the Kindle app
Gear\Applications\All Apps\Kindle\Force Close
I only reboot when I clear the Kindle's Data when I'm having cover issues.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
baggyrinkle
Early Adoptor
baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kindle3 Kindle4 Kindle Fire Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
You have to long press on the file then choose export. Pick the books or documents folder and it will download to the Fire. After that you will need to either reboot or force close the kindle app to get the Fire to put the book on its shelves so you can read it.
Ok I guess I am missing something here. long press on the file in the dropbox folder? All I get is open delete or share etc. no export option.

I also use the Calibre OPDS Catalog. Files down load to down load folder and then its a PIA to then use EsXplorer to move the book to the docs or books folder.

Can you elaborate a little.

Thanks.
baggyrinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggyrinkle View Post
Ok I guess I am missing something here. long press on the file in the dropbox folder? All I get is open delete or share etc. no export option.

I also use the Calibre OPDS Catalog. Files down load to down load folder and then its a PIA to then use EsXplorer to move the book to the docs or books folder.

Can you elaborate a little.

Thanks.
You must be using an old version of Dropbox. Upgrade.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #7
baggyrinkle
Early Adoptor
baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kindle3 Kindle4 Kindle Fire Kindle PW2
Thanks. Upgraded and now export works. However, when I export to books folder it dosent show. Shows ok if exported to docs folder. This process needs some improvement imho
baggyrinkle is offline   Reply With Quote