Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-11-2012, 09:42 AM   #1
route66
Connoisseur
route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The Kindle Store at Amazon.co.uk does not support shopping from the Touch

When I try to access the Kindle Store through a Kindle Touch from the US I get this message:

‘Your Kindle account is currently registered at Amazon.co.uk. At this time, the Kindle Store at Amazon.co.uk does not support shopping from this device. You may continue to shop for content via the Amazon.co.uk website.'

I've tried de-registering, re-registering, changing country settings on amazon.com and .co.uk to no avail!

Should I stop trying?
route66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes. It doesn't support it. It doubtless will once the Touch is released in the UK, which will probably happen soon.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
route66
Connoisseur
route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.route66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's a shame...

I'm wondering, since international 3G is subject to a fee, does it mean that I (who bought one from the US and use it in UK) will have to pay to use 3G in the UK?

If so, does anyone know if this too is likely to change once the Kindle Touch is available officially in the UK?
Old 02-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, you do not have to pay to use 3G.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
route66
Connoisseur

I ask because I received an "update" in the form of a Kindle book warning me about using 3G internationally.

I have linked my Kindle to the US store, so I can download books from there (in dollars). My kindle thinks I'm from the US.

I'm just not going to risk using 3G until KT is released in Uk
Advert
Old 02-11-2012, 02:41 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Believe me, you have nothing to worry about. I've been using my US Kindle Touch 3G in the UK for months.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #7
route66
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Believe me, you have nothing to worry about. I've been using my US Kindle Touch 3G in the UK for months.
thanks for ur help this is very resssuring, have u also been purchasing ebooks from the kindle US amazon store?
Old 02-13-2012, 03:00 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by route66 View Post
thanks for ur help this is very resssuring, have u also been purchasing ebooks from the kindle US amazon store?
No, I'm in the UK, so I buy my books from amazon.co.uk. They are generally better than amazon.com for the type of books I like to read (classic British detective fiction).
Old 02-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #9
route66
Connoisseur

Arthur Conan Doyle stylee?

I too am in the UK - but have set my amazon account to "US" so as to have access to a Kindle store through the Kindle itself.

Setting it to the UK results in the error message I mentioned in the first post.

I suspect I would be charged an extra fee for downloading an ebook using 3G "internationally" - as it would appear that I am a US resident using 3G in the UK.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #10
route66
Connoisseur

Kindle Touch 3G restriction

Do you think 3G will ever be officially unrestricted by Amazon?

$50 extra just to use wikipedia and the amazon store seems a bit much, unless they were planning to unrestrict it at some point?

Surely the $50 would cover the average costs of 3G usage.

Or is this just wishful thinking on my part?
Old 02-14-2012, 03:11 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by route66 View Post
Arthur Conan Doyle stylee?
Agatha Christie, Ngaio Marsh, Ruth Rendell, Colin Dexter, P.D. James, Michael Innes, Josephine Tey - the list is almost endless. These are all much better represented as eBooks by British publishers on "amazon.co.uk" than by US publishers on "amazon.com".

Quote:
I suspect I would be charged an extra fee for downloading an ebook using 3G "internationally" - as it would appear that I am a US resident using 3G in the UK.
No, I don't think you would be. The international surcharge only applies, as I understand it, for delivery to a country in which Amazon does not have a deal with a local telecoms operator, as they do with Vodafone in the UK. It used to be the case that all Amazon eBooks were $2 more expensive in the UK than the US for that reason, but that's no longer the case.

You can also use the 3G to access Wikipedia; that does work absolutely fine in the UK, as I'm sure you've discovered.