Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-19-2011, 02:49 AM   #1
jmasta
Banned
jmasta began at the beginning.

Device: None
Kindle Touch 3g vs. Sony

Buying my gf an ebook for christmas. She reads romance and sci fi Jeanie Frost is the only authors name I knoe off the top of my head. Moving on I am caught between the Kindle Touch 3g vs. Sony PRST1 she has seen both and liked the kindles screen better (she said she liked the sony but the kindles font/grey scale qualities) seemed different.
Sony:
Pros:
Android OS menu is friendly
32gb micro SD expandable
Lots of audio formats
EPUB Friendly
Web browsing managable

CONS:
3 month parts and labor warranty 1 year parts
Android OS (Reports of multiple OS problems such as: page turning causing freezing, invalid error, etc.)
No 3G service
Sony store

Kindle:
Pros:
3g service
1 Year full warranty
Amazon Marketplace (she likes to preorder books ability to have instantly)

Cons:
Non expandable Memory
Battery not comparable
Limited Internet browsing capabilities
ADS/RECOMENDATIONS (shes a picky reader)
NO Epub comatibility and majority of books will initally be torrented

Money is not the problem so the 20 or 30 that the kindle may cost extra isn't holding me back it is the lack of expandable memory and limited features like basic web browsing and the ability to take true notes. She would possibly be reading school books on this for long periods of time any comparison of the screens? Is sony's hardware/OS issues so bad that I should be willing to give up features like note capibility, EPUB (converting now required), expandable memory, and a more professional OS set up and switch to the kindle? Thoughts, comments and al around dialogue is appreciated.
jmasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:56 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's really not a terribly good idea to show up here at MR and announce to the world that you're going to download books illegally. We are a legit site which supports the legal ebook industry; nobody is going to help you in your criminal endeavours.

(Moderator)

Last edited by HarryT; 11-19-2011 at 07:05 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2011, 09:21 AM   #3
Miss Understood
Enthusiast
Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Nook, Sony PRS-350 (pink!); IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmasta View Post
Aside from the fact that pirating books is illegal, the quality of the books you get when you torrent them truly sucks. You are better off buying the books for her or looking at legally free sites like Project Gutenberg. Also, most libraries have books available for download to e-readers so she can get her books that way too.
Miss Understood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:34 PM   #4
jmasta
Banned

Wow to the above posters seriously [profane language edited - moderation].
Who says I am illegally downloading them torrented doesn't mean pirated this is taken from a simple search on your guy's forum:

"As has been pointed out, torrented books don't necessarily mean pirated books, but just to make our policy clear:

Moderator Notice
MobileRead is not a good site to ask how, where, or to provide links to getting commercial ebooks free via torrent files. MobileRead is against ebook piracy, and "Where do I get pirated titles?" questions are good ways to lose access to MR."

FURTHERMORE:
"I'd just like to point out that although I don't know the OP's intent, there are plenty of legal torrent sites that do ebooks, and plenty of books that are legal to torrent regardless of source.

While intent to pirate isn't an unreasonable possibility, it is certainly presumptuous to assume that is the OP's intent and lambast them without asking what their intent actually is.

And this is coming from a group of people who mostly strip DRM so they can put ebooks on different devices or different formats or give it to their partners/family/friends... thus reducing sales and "keeping the price of ebooks high." This is the same group of people who mostly think it's ok to DRM-strip and keep a library book if you bought it previously.

Please. Your nakedness is showing. "

Did I ask either of you where to buy my books? NO!

I simply asked for your opinions since you obviously KNOW MORE ABOUT EBOOKS than me. I don't see how I obtain books has anything to do with the questions asked? Hope everyone on this forum isn't like this (although I do alot of foruming and understand that their is always [impolite language deleted -Mod] out there).

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-20-2011 at 09:18 AM. Reason: [profane language edited - moderation]
Old 11-20-2011, 02:02 AM   #5
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Moderator Notice

MobileRead is intended to be a family-safe and work-safe website. Please post accordingly.

You are free to disagree with a person's opinions and/or dispute their facts or data, providing you do so politely and address your criticisms to those opinions, facts, and data rather than the person. Name calling and insults are not allowed.

Our posting guidelines are located here. Please take a moment to review them and our expectations for posting in our community.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2011, 11:20 AM   #6
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi and Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's really not a terribly good idea to show up here at MR and announce to the world that you're going to download books illegally. We are a legit site which supports the legal ebook industry; nobody is going to help you in your criminal endeavours.

(Moderator)
criminal endeavours? Really? This is going to far. Once thing is to honest, other is to be offensive.

Last edited by thebestjeter; 01-20-2012 at 04:29 PM.
thebestjeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:36 PM   #7
jmasta
Banned

I apologize for my creative language!
Thanks thebestjeter seriously criminal endeavours is a bit of stretch. Especially for someone who claims to have "DR1000S, PB360, PRS-350, Kindle 3, BeBook Neo, iPad 2, iPhone 4" wonder if they converted a few files to avoid having to buy a book in another format better call the cops and have you locked up!
Old 11-22-2011, 11:39 AM   #8
J-O-Jou
J-O-Jou shares his or her toysJ-O-Jou shares his or her toysJ-O-Jou shares his or her toysJ-O-Jou shares his or her toysJ-O-Jou shares his or her toysJ-O-Jou shares his or her toysJ-O-Jou shares his or her toysJ-O-Jou shares his or her toysJ-O-Jou shares his or her toysJ-O-Jou shares his or her toysJ-O-Jou shares his or her toys

Device: none
What's wrong with you people? Could anyone please answer the original question, wether it's better to buy a Kindle Touch or a Sony PRS T1? Because I'm deciding between these two, too.

All you do is pointing out that torrent e-books are illegal, instead of relevant comparison of the devices Dissappointed.

To jmasta: I've read a lot of reviews and all say forget the "3G" in "Kindle Touch Wi-Fi + 3G", because it only applies to buying books and wikipedia, not for web browsing, however, since your device is meant to be mostly for reading, that's probably not an issue here. Also it doesn't have a lanscape mode, which "makes it more difficult to read PDFs". As for the rest of software, features and entrails, the majority of people agree that KT is exactly the same thing as Kindle 3 (keyboard) so it comes to the question "to touch or not to touch".

Personally I'm more inclined to getting a Sony, because of epub, storage, and even for those 5 buttons which are missing at KT. Main problems that people mention are
1. freezing - about a third of users hate it and return, the other third say "a couple of sleep modes solved it", and the rest claim they have never had such problems. Some also expect a new firmware to fix it.
2. Sony store. They say Amazon eBook store is much bigger or friendlier than anyone else's, which I can't judge, since I currently live in China and there are practicaly no e-books for sale from Amazon.

You might as well consider Kobo Touch and Nook Simple Touch, but those don't have web-browsers and i think there are no speakers or 3.5 jack at Kobo. basic comparison at http://www.kobobooks.com/touch_compare, but of course, it's from kobo homepage, so they are slightly biased.

Sorry if I write about things that you already checked out on your own. Again, I, like you, am still deciding for one or another, I haven't seem nor touched one of them in real life.
Good luck!
J-O-Jou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:50 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-O-Jou View Post
What's wrong with you people? Could anyone please answer the original question, wether it's better to buy a Kindle Touch or a Sony PRS T1? Because I'm deciding between these two, too.

All you do is pointing out that torrent e-books are illegal, instead of relevant comparison of the devices Dissappointed.
That's because we have a very clear site policy - which is rigorously enforced - that we will not assist people in breaking the law. So when someone comes here and states that their reason for wanting to buy a book reader is to read illegally downloaded material on it, they won't get any assistance. I'm sorry if that disappoints you, but that's the way it is.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:14 PM   #10
J-O-Jou
J-O-Jou shares his or her toysJ-O-Jou shares his or her toysJ-O-Jou shares his or her toysJ-O-Jou shares his or her toysJ-O-Jou shares his or her toysJ-O-Jou shares his or her toysJ-O-Jou shares his or her toysJ-O-Jou shares his or her toysJ-O-Jou shares his or her toysJ-O-Jou shares his or her toysJ-O-Jou shares his or her toys

Device: none
Are you blind? Yes, I am dissappointed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmasta View Post
Buying my gf an ebook for christmas.
Kindle:
Pros:
3g service
1 Year full warranty
Amazon Marketplace (she likes to preorder books ability to have instantly)

Money is not the problem so the 20 or 30 that the kindle may cost extra isn't holding me back it is the lack of expandable memory and limited features like basic web browsing and the ability to take true notes. She would possibly be reading school books on this for long periods of time any comparison of the screens? ...
Where does he mention that the reason to buy a reader is to illegaly download books? I understand your policy, and it is a good and right policy, but isn't there a difference between "I want to buy a reader as a present for my girlfriend so she can read books" and "I want to buy a reader so i can download books for free"? Is it so that you won't answer this queistion only because of the word "torrented"?
go badgers
J-O-Jou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:23 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-O-Jou View Post
Is it so that you won't answer this queistion only because of the word "torrented"?
That is correct, yes. The moderating team has drawn the conclusion that this is clearly a reference to pirated books.