Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-11-2011, 09:20 AM   #1
dengar
Connoisseur
dengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with others

Device: PW2, K3, Ipad 4, Kindle Fire
KF or NC (or other) for the kids

Im looking for a 2 couple of tables to give to the kids so they can stay off my Ipad. They are 6 and 3 and actually take very good care of the Ipad when they are using it, but I still cringe every time I see them hold it. I have no problem rooting a device but at the same time I want thing very simple for them to use. Im leaning toward the refurb NC since its only $150 (which is the cost to repair an Ipad screen ). Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
Mike Cooley
Mike
Mike Cooley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Cooley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Cooley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Cooley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Cooley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Cooley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Cooley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Cooley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Cooley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Cooley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Cooley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I like the KindleFire better. But they are $199.
Is there a reason they can't just use $79 Kindles?
Are they just reading books?

Mike
Mike Cooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
dengar
Connoisseur
dengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with others

They read the interactive/picture story books now, along with your typical Angry Bird and puzzle type games, and Netflix. I can go up to $200 if needed. Im also looking at the Lenovo A1 as well. With that I can just download the Kindle and BN apps and they can read that way.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
My understanding is that B&N has a better kids book shop then Amazon right now. I would imagine that will change as the Fire is introduced but it is something to look at.

If you are buying the kids books from BN, go with the NC. Or check out the two book stores and see which one makes you happiest.

If you are a Kindle Prime member, then the Fire might be the best way to go so you can put free movies and the occassional free book on their devices.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:36 AM   #5
dengar
Connoisseur

Couple of questions on the Fire:

1. I have a Kindle KB and 2 Ipad's w/the Kindle App. If I add these 2 Fire's to my account can I control which content goes where? I dont want the Fire's getting all my personal content, just the ones I want that are appropriate for them.

2. Does the Fire have parental restrictions to prevent them from buying content like the Ipad? For me thats the best feature where I can give it to them and not worry about running up the Amex hehe.
Advert
Old 11-12-2011, 03:15 PM   #6
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Yes you can control where the content goes. I don't know if the Fire has parental restrictions. I know that Kindles do not.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote