Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-07-2014, 02:11 AM   #31
ChaJudLeoBit
ChaJudLeoBit began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Vis-a-vis this:

Allowing Nook to make changes to the book allows it to override the CSS, so, yes: it could. Not necessarily will, but could. Why don't you just use your own test account at NookPress and test it yourself? That's what I do when I have a client doing the driving, and I'm not there to see what's happening.

I don't see any immediate reason that your book's chapters shouldn't be detected, except one hairball possibility, which I'd love to say is nuts, but: is it possible that NookPress now also looks for an HTML TOC? Which you don't appear to have in your ePUB? Yes, yes, I know: not needed for ePUB2, and preferably, not used, but I wonder if NookPress is now looking at Word-generated TOC's, which are inline TOC's, for chapters? Just a ponderment.

Also, vis-a-vis this:

That's what CSS is for. Fix them there, rather than then choosing a different heading.

Without seeing more, it's very difficult to know what's going on there.

ETA: I see Toxaris got to this post first. What he said.

Hitch[/QUOTE]

Interesting thought to create my own NookPress account. I didn't want to accidentally publish someone else's book. But maybe I should try that. The writer is doing the KDP where where can't upload her book anywhere else right now. That's why we haven't been able to check it yet.

I really hope that what you mentioned is why it did this. Y'all said a whole lot of other stuff that went over my head, so I hope it isn't any of that.
ChaJudLeoBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:34 AM   #32
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaJudLeoBit View Post

Interesting thought to create my own NookPress account. I didn't want to accidentally publish someone else's book. But maybe I should try that. The writer is doing the KDP where where can't upload her book anywhere else right now. That's why we haven't been able to check it yet.

I really hope that what you mentioned is why it did this. Y'all said a whole lot of other stuff that went over my head, so I hope it isn't any of that.
Well:
  1. Creating your own NookPress, or KDP account, is pretty much a necessity if you plan on making other people's books. Simply making the account and uploading the book for a TEST isn't publishing it. (Except on Smashwords, which is idiotic, but that's another discussion).
  2. KDP doesn't care if you sell somewhere else. KDP Select does. If she's simply publishing to KDP, then she can publish anywhere else.
  3. Regardless, as you'd just be testing a draft, that means you can check this at Nook now, yourself, instead of trying to troubleshoot it third-hand and via hearsay.

If a lot of what I said went over your head, to use your words, you may want to get your friend some professional assistance with this, because a great deal of what's been discussed on this thread is very, very basic stuff. Fundamental to ebook-making, not advanced at all. I'm not trying to hurt your feelings, or be "mean," but it is. Which is a bit worriesome about the MOBI that is already being uploaded, not to mention the ePUB that seems to have inexplicable errors, not to mention this issue with the chapters not being found, which makes no sense whatsoever to me.

FWIW.
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2014, 03:29 AM   #33
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
ChaJudLeoBit:

Question: did you or your friend/client use Scrivener at any point in this process? I have a reason for asking, so if you could answer, that would help everyone here try to troubleshoot this.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:01 AM   #34
ChaJudLeoBit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
ChaJudLeoBit:

Question: did you or your friend/client use Scrivener at any point in this process? I have a reason for asking, so if you could answer, that would help everyone here try to troubleshoot this.

Hitch
No Scrivener. Only Calibre and Sigil.

I'd love to know your reason for asking. And it looks like I need to get me an account so I can check this myself.

Thanks to everyone. I am new and learning. Everyone starts somewhere. I have no background in programming, so this is why I didn't get all of the techie-stuff above. But this is a good place to learn. Right?
Old 02-21-2014, 04:53 AM   #35
ChaJudLeoBit

Talking

All is well

Last edited by ChaJudLeoBit; 02-23-2014 at 03:39 AM.
Advert
Old 02-21-2014, 05:35 AM   #36
ChaJudLeoBit

Ok, I got it to work by getting rid of the EPUB I had, and converting from the MOBI that was fine.

Thanks!

Last edited by ChaJudLeoBit; 02-23-2014 at 03:38 AM.