Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-08-2011, 08:48 AM   #1
madeirabhoy
madeirabhoy began at the beginning.

Device: palm tx
rip stanza-struggling to get another iPhone app that gets books from calibre easily

stanza won't work under ios5 and i gather we won't be seeing updates .....

i don't want to do anything complicated, just get books from my mac to my iPhone and then read them.

ibooks crashes, deliberately it seems due to me being jailbroken.

blue fire looks okay but getting the books onto the iPhone is cumbersome compared to stanza getting the books directly from stanza on my mac. i tried putting the books on using iTunes books bit but blue fire can't see them. figured out i need to use the blue fire documents bit on iTunes but thats really not friendly, i can't select a whole folder so i have to use calibre to save books to single folder as epub. then when i drag them across onto iTunes all at the same time it crashes. so i have to do it a few books at a time....when i get new books i have to remember to export them then drag them then synchronise, instead of opening stanza, and sorting books by newest, reading the descriptions and choosing the book i want to read.

so not impressed by blue fire but maybe someone can tell me a better way.

heard i2reader is better, its 4 quid. I'm happy to pay for it if it works but to see i downloaded from installous first, it opens and closes like ibooks does. if its just that it does that coz its a cracked version id buy it but if its because of a bug or it doesn't work on jailbroken devices I'm not paying 4 quid for nothing.

any suggestions for getting i2reader to work, blue fire to work better or another app thats going to be as easy to use as stanza.

really i just want a reader that gets books on it easily, ideally one that also stores the description would be nice.
madeirabhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:28 PM   #2
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Have you looked into Calibre2opds? It creates a catalog in either opds or html format.

I hope I can continue to use stanza though. It's my favorite reading app.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2011, 09:58 PM   #3
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Time to move away from Apple? There are a number of good, OPDS-supporting readings on Android, and even a good OPDS-supporting reader on Windows Phone 7 (Freda). Apple's anti-ebooks-that-aren't-ibooks stance makes iOS a hostile environment for readers.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:50 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The Quickreader/MegaReader family of ereaders on iOS have full OPDS catalog integration.

The author of those ereaders also provides the free eBook Search app that has the OPDS support as a free-standing app that can download a book and then load it into iOS eReader apps that do not support OPDS (e.g. IBooks, Bluefire, Kindle).
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:47 AM   #5
madeirabhoy

thanks for the answers. I've looked at calibre2opds but it says the mac version isn't available yet. is there any other way to do it thats mac compatible?

on googling it seems there are mac versions just not listed on that site, but I've tried two different versions i found 2.4 and 2.5 beta, both have a jar file which on running installs a folder in my applications folder. inside there is a pile of files, none of which on clicking, do anything. 2 x cmd files which say they are for another virtual machine, and half a dozen weird named jar files, all of which bring an error up when i click on them. the only file that does anything is the uninstall jar which uninstalls funnily enough.

Last edited by madeirabhoy; 10-09-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Advert
Old 10-09-2011, 10:55 AM   #6
madeirabhoy

forget any of that, i tried megareader and it connects to calibre exactly as stanza did! happy days !
Old 10-10-2011, 06:41 AM   #7
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
If you install the PhoneDisk application on your Mac you can open the Bluefire Documents folder when your iPhone is connected. Then you can drag and drop your ebooks to this folder.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #8
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Don't know what it is about iBooks that is crashing for you, that actually seems to be the issue. I'm using the calibre server + iPhone + iPad and having no issues at all. But neither of my iDevices is jailbroken, either.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:28 PM   #9
sgmax
sgmax began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
A member of the Facebook group, Revive Stanza For iOS5, seems to have received a reply from Amazon to the effect that they will update Stanza for iOS5 and then no more. Let's keep our fingers crossed!
sgmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:49 PM   #10
sgmax
sgmax began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
STANZA IS BACK!

v3.2 on iTunes - updated for iOS5. Amazon say this is the last update ever, so make the best of it ... :-)
sgmax is offline   Reply With Quote