Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-22-2011, 03:49 PM   #1
flip
flip began at the beginning.

Device: none
Syncing .mobi-files across devices

Hi,

just a quick question, which I wasn't able to answer with the help of Google though: Is it possible to sync .mobi files from - let's say - your Mac onto your Kindle App on the iPhone or onto your Kindle 3? Or am I only able to sync the items that I bought from Amazon directly?

Thanks in advance!
flip
flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:07 AM   #2
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
As far as I know you can only sync books which were actual Amazon purchases -- though I may be wrong? Why not simply sideload them from one device to another by cable and computer using any program which will copy file both additions and deletions (like the excellent freebie Karen's Replicator for the PC)?
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2011, 02:29 PM   #3
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
What do you mean by "sync"? Do you mean sync the page you are reading between devices, or add and delete books to keep the same ones on all devices?
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:52 PM   #4
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Flip - you might want to check out this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...+iphone&page=4
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:15 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If you think "syncing" is making sure all your devices have the same ebooks on them... it doesn't work like that with the Kindle (or its apps). Get that outta your head.

All of your Amazon purchases are in your Archive List. You can access your Archive List from all of your devices (if you keep them all synced) and decide which books you want on which devices. But you must download each book onto each device yourself. Content. is. not. synced.

If they are non-Amazon purchases, you must side-load (or email) each individual book to each device. These won't ever be part of your Kindle Archive

"Syncing" will then maintain: (Obviously the Archive List) furthest read page, bookmarks, notes and highlights of the books each device has in common. This makes it easier to read the same book(s) on two or more different devices.
(NOTE: with non-Amazon books, the only thing you can hope to sync is the Furthest Read Page)

Clear as mud?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-23-2011 at 04:17 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #6
ClintonHammond
ClintonHammond began at the beginning.

Device: Asus TF700T
So, I can't sync "Last Page Read" between books I put on both my tablet and my phone using Calibre?

No way, no how?
ClintonHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:07 PM   #7
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Calibre alone will not allow you to sync last page read. You'd have to go through the Personal Documents service. Some devices will sync those, I believe.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:11 PM   #8
ClintonHammond
ClintonHammond began at the beginning.

Device: Asus TF700T
Yeah, I didn't mean to suggest using Calibre to sync files.... just that I had used Calibre to load files onto my devices....

Can you tell me more about this Personal Documents service you mentioned? I am unclear what that is.
ClintonHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:20 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintonHammond View Post
Can you tell me more about this Personal Documents service you mentioned? I am unclear what that is.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/sendtokindle

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200767340
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:12 PM   #10
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
You can sync your mobi books.....just make sure you use your Kindle email address to send the book to your personal documents, and whatever device that you select.....I've done it and it works fine
markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:11 PM   #11
navels
navels began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
markdek is correct, but to be totally clear, here is what worked for me today after reading a gazillion threads and trying various methods:

1. make sure your devices have "Annotations Backup" enabled.
2. load the book into calibre.
3. convert to mobi. even if it is already mobi, convert it again.
4. use calibre to email the book to one of your devices. this will put it in your amazon cloud.
5. if you want the book on another device (kindle, iphone w/ kindle app, etc), simple pull it down from your amazon cloud.

By doing this, I can now "sync to furthest page read" across all my devices, works great.
navels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:49 PM   #12
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You don't have to convert to mobi first if the email service can convert it for you. It converts most likely formats, like html, .doc, .pdf, etc.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:26 PM   #13
navels
navels began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
You don't have to convert to mobi first if the email service can convert it for you. It converts most likely formats, like html, .doc, .pdf, etc.
Doing the conversion in calibre ensures that the mobi file has the right metadata (UUID, etc.) for syncing across devices.
navels is offline   Reply With Quote