Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook > PocketBook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-05-2011, 04:06 PM   #1
review
Addict
review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.

Device: 903
new version of midori

The past few hours I've been looking through the bug list in order to remove some of the most annoying ones.

So the web browser is great but as we have already observed, the config file is rewritten on each start. Thanks to the remote shell access I was able to track some things down.

Attached is a new version of the webbrowser. This one will pretend to be firefox on a desktop PC. Earlier the version was telling all web pages that we had only a resolution of 600x800 and were running on Windows CE. Accordingly a few pages looked horrible (or were even not possible to use! what a major bug!)

Installation is easy:
1) unzip and copy midori-ff into system/bin
2) place webbrowser-ff.app somewhere. You will use this file to start the webbrowser.

Also if you look into the webbrowser-ff.app file you will see the lines in the shell script which create the new config file on each startup. You want one other line in your config file? Place it in that script!

Last edited by review; 02-05-2011 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Removed attachments. Please find later post which has an even further improved version which wouldn't forget the settings.
review is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:29 PM   #2
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
review, you are unstoppable, and good for us!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
review
Addict
review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.

(I posted here a file for paola and it was quite funny to see how many people it downloaded it as well.. any way, off topic: does anyone know how to attach files in private messages?)

Last edited by review; 02-05-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:03 PM   #4
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by review View Post
(I posted here a file for paola and it was quite funny to see how many people it downloaded it as well.. any way, off topic: does anyone know how to attach files in private messages?)
I am not surprised: your attachments are generally extremely useful apps

Last edited by paola; 02-05-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:25 PM   #5
review
Addict

Firmware 2.0.4: December vs. January

Paola helped me a lot to find out that the version of post #1 wouldn't work on the December version of 2.0.4. Thanks a lot for helping to debug this Paola!

I've updated the files and attached them. They should work now on the December version as well.

Also I've attached a new version for the January firmware. The version of post #1 had the language settings set to german. Now the language settings is in both versions english.

Last edited by review; 02-05-2011 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Removed attachments. Please find later post which has an even further improved version which wouldn't forget the settings.
Advert
Old 02-05-2011, 05:27 PM   #6
paola
Wizard

review, thanks a million!
Old 02-05-2011, 05:27 PM   #7
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by review View Post
The past few hours I've been looking through the bug list in order to remove some of the most annoying ones.

So the web browser is great but as we have already observed, the config file is rewritten on each start. Thanks to the remote shell access I was able to track some things down.

Attached is a new version of the webbrowser. This one will pretend to be firefox on a desktop PC. Earlier the version was telling all web pages that we had only a resolution of 600x800 and were running on Windows CE. Accordingly a few pages looked horrible (or were even not possible to use! what a major bug!)

Installation is easy:
1) unzip and copy midori-ff into system/bin
2) place webbrowser-ff.app somewhere. You will use this file to start the webbrowser.

Also if you look into the webbrowser-ff.app file you will see the lines in the shell script which create the new config file on each startup. You want one other line in your config file? Place it in that script!
This is just exceptional! Thanks!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:26 PM   #8
review
Addict

Just a brief line for clarification on what the difference is compared to the pocketbook version:

Some web pages have different styles which they can use. The pocketbook version of midori says all those web pages that we have a small display and run Windows CE (this procedure is called user-agent). Accordingly some pages worry that we won't be able to browse their content properly so they switch to the style for mobile phones or similar. However, it can easily happen that the mobile version of the webpage won't have the same functionality as the full version.

So my version simply tells all web pages not to show the mobile version but the full page.

I'm not finished with disassembling the binary versions of midori so it might well be possible that I can fix other things as well. For example that the font settings are stored etc. However, without the source code it is not said that this will be at all possible but I will have a look.

I'm planning of uploading a new version for each enhancement. That's why the only difference of aboves midori is the adapted user-agent.

@all: thanks for the compliments and the karma!
Old 02-05-2011, 06:49 PM   #9
review
Addict

Using it on the 60x series:
Nick Knatterton from the German forum wrote that if you change in the webbrowser-ff.app the words "mode=828x1200" to "mode=600x800" it will work on the 60x series as well. Thanks Nick!

Edit: please use files attached in the next post.

Last edited by review; 02-05-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:13 PM   #10
review
Addict

Midori remembers now font settings and other settings!!!

Well, I couldn't sleep well knowing that there are still bugs left in the midori version I've uploaded. Namely the most annoying "webbrowser reset" with each new start of midori (you know this annoying bug where the pocketbooks version forgets all your settings after you close the browser).

Well, the good news are: it is solved now.

Please download webbrowser-enhanced for your model (firmware independent) and place it somewhere on your device. This is the file you will use to start the browser. Then please download midori-enhanced for the firmware you use (either 2.0.4 of December or 2.0.4 of January. For this file it doesn't matter which model you have). However you have to place the file which is called midori-ff (which is stored in the midori-enhanced.. zip) into the system/bin folder. Just replace the file midori-ff file which might be there already from the previous update.
Also you have to download config-backup.zip and place this file in system/midori/ before you start the enhanced webbrowser for the first time.
(if you have already started webbrowser-enhanced without this file just see below for further instructions.. it is easy to fix .. )

Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: zip webbrowser-enhanced-60x.zip (642 Bytes, 1465 views)
File Type: zip webbrowser-enhanced-90x.zip (643 Bytes, 1712 views)
File Type: zip midori-enhanced-2.0.4-Jan2011.zip (190.7 KB, 2021 views)
File Type: zip midori-enhanced-2.0.4-Dec2010.zip (532.7 KB, 1092 views)
File Type: zip config-backup.zip (376 Bytes, 1905 views)

Last edited by review; 02-05-2011 at 08:46 PM. Reason: added some more instructions for installation.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:27 PM   #11
review
Addict

Just one more comment: This version will make a backup of your configuration after midori is closed. So even if you use the old buggy version which would overwrite our new settings the backup is not deleted! Once you start the webbrowser-enhanced version it will restore the configurations from the backup and will load them.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:38 PM   #12
review
Addict

Instructions if you have started webbrowser-enhanced without the config-backup file

The backup and restore function requires that one has a file called system/midori/config-backup present. You can just make a copy of system/midori/config file. However, if you have already started the files from post #10 the backup has been done with an empty file which means that midori doesn`t know where to store downloads etc.
Therefore have attached a "clean" config-backup file to post #10. Just copy this file into system/midori/. After that you will have to redo the settings of the font size just once more but then it will be stored forever.

Alternatively just add this line
Code:
download-folder=/mnt/ext1
to the config-backup or select this settings in the preferences of midori.

Last edited by review; 02-05-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:52 AM   #13
paola
Wizard

amazing, works beautifully on my PB903 dec firmware

and more karma to you as soon as I can
Old 02-06-2011, 03:36 PM   #14
datamove
datamove began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 903
Hi, Review

Thanks for your work! Tried your latest downloads with my January 2.0.4 firmware (20110106_160908) and it unfortunately didn't work: clicking on webbrowser-enhanced makes a page refresh? that's it.

I'd be happy to debug it for you (a linux admin myself), just could you give some hints on how to get to system log files?

cheers
Artem.
P.S. I wonder also if I can get to the console of the device? Is there an xterm app?
datamove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:48 PM   #15
review
Addict

Hi Artem,
a very warm welcome to the forum.
I'm sure we will get it sorted! The easiest way for me to debug is to get the md5sum for two files from your ebook. In my early days I've programmed a remote shell access. You can find in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...62&postcount=1

also paloa put quite some effort into collecting the scattered pieces of informations in this thread, which might be later nice for you to read.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=119973

So, if you feel comfortable using my remote shell access software please login to the ebook and calculate the md5sum of /ebrmain/bin/browser.app and /ebrmain/bin/midori.

Thank you.