Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-26-2010, 07:15 PM   #1
LynnDC
LynnDC began at the beginning.

Device: none
Got Graphite replacement for white but the letters are now fading already :(

I had a white K3 3g model which I liked a lot. I know there are those that find the graphite has better contrast. But where I live, it's so often dark, that I found the white easier to see in low light.

But then I returned the white one because of the on/off slider becoming stuck. And when they sent the replacement, it was a graphite one. I let it go, thinking it would be fine. I was headed to Mexico anyway and thought that the graphite would reflect less. But I was gone only 6 days and already the letters are wearing off. GRRRR. I don't know the keyboard by heart so it's a big issue for me.

Has anyone had the letters wear off the white one? If not, I may (sigh) try to replace one more time.

I was also thinking that if I could get little stickers with the letters on them, I could use those. But then, I shouldn't have to resort to that, considering I paid $189 for it.
LynnDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:51 PM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
try customer service and see what they have to say
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2010, 08:17 PM   #3
mean_gene
Enthusiast
mean_gene began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G/Wifi
Wow, you must be having a run of bad luck. The letters on my graphite one are still as good as new. Does your case or bag or whatever rub against the letters?
mean_gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:38 PM   #4
LynnDC

Hmm, I do carry it in a pocket of a purse, but they really shouldn't rub off so easily. I think I'll call customer service tomorrow. And I'll post what they tell me.

The problem though is that they don't really say how common a problem is or isn't. They just ask if you want a replacement. If that is the case, I think I'll just ask to go back to the white one.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:57 AM   #5
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
it's going to happen regardless, only a matter of time - goes for dx, dxg, k3..
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 02:35 PM   #6
mean_gene
Enthusiast

Quote:
it's going to happen regardless, only a matter of time
Yeah but it shouldn't happen in a few days. I would expect the keys to last as long as the warranty...at least.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:46 PM   #7
LynnDC

I agree. I just got the replacement on Nov 15th. So not even 2 months. And I mostly use it for reading. I'm not even using the keyboard much. I think it's a design flaw.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:52 PM   #8
mean_gene
Enthusiast

I took a close look at mine today thinking that the menu home and back keys would probably be the first ones to fade...and they all still look brand new.