Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 12-13-2009, 08:28 AM   #16
Skyhigh
Skyhigh began at the beginning.

Device: iriver Story
I have an iriver story, I like it so far (been reading War and Peace which is free )

However, I bought my first ebook yesterday, from a website which said I needed Adobe Digital Editions. So I did. Downloaded an ASCM-file, ADE then did the rest in downloading the full book which is in epub.

When I now drag the epub to my Story, the device says it cannot open it. "Failed to open file!".
Now as I understand it, this epub is obviously encrypted and only my ADE with computer authorization can open it. But how can my Story open the file?
Skyhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:32 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Have you authorised the Story? Both your PC and the Story need to be authorised with ADE. Run ADE with the Story connected to your PC, and ADE should pop up a message saying that a mobile device has been detected, and asking you if you want to authorise it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:37 AM   #18
Skyhigh
Skyhigh began at the beginning.

Wow thanks for the quick reply

You know what, I never closed down ADE in all I did. And indeed, shutting it down, restarting it, and yes, it asked me to authorize the Story. Thanks.
Skyhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:39 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Good!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 05:47 PM   #20
cybbe
cybbe began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Story
What is the difference between shutting down the device entirely and just putting it on hold and letting it "fall asleep"?

I kind of like putting it on hold and then a screen saver shows up and soon enough it blanks the screen. When I come back I'll quickly get back to the book at the same page/layout/zoom etc as when I stopped reading the last time.

Do I save much battery time by shutting it down completely when putting it away? Why would it need battery while in "sleep" mode and hold enabled? It doesn't have to check for user input, it doesn't need to show anything and it could store the "current state" to a memory chip which doesn't need active power to last.

Thanks!
cybbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:56 AM   #21
cybbe

Skyhigh, did you get your epub to load in the story?

I still can't get my borrowed DRM epub to load, it only shows me "Failed to open file!", and yes, I have authorised my story within ADE.

However, I'm not sure if I borrowed to book and imported it into ADE before or after I authorised the story. Could it be that I have to import it into ADE AFTER I've authorised the story?

Otherwise, could it be a different type of DRM for my epub? Or are they all the same? I'm trying a swedish library epub if that matters.

Thanks!
Old 12-15-2009, 04:03 PM   #22
caxandra
Enthusiast
caxandra began at the beginning.

Swedish library epub can not be read from our storys for the time being. Somteimes under this month a new firmware will be there for download so that we can read the timelimited epubs from our librarys. As far as i know. Call / mail Canman who is the importer for sweden and they will tell you everything you need.
caxandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:31 AM   #23
tofuman
Enthusiast
tofuman began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad/ipaq3970
version 1.5 is out. 1.12 will be deleted.

Firmware upgrade will result in deletion of bookmarks and other data. It can also lead to other problems.

http://tofuman.zerois.net/images/iriverStory_V1.50.zip
--> temporarily deleted --> restored --> now you can get it from the iriver site.

Last edited by tofuman; 12-18-2009 at 02:59 AM. Reason: status change
tofuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:02 AM   #24
Larrie
Enthusiast
Larrie began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600, PB 360, Ectaco JB, Kindle DX, PRS 950, M90
Thanks a lot tofuman! Really appreciate your regular FW updates! Eagerly awaiting the update that will include dictionary function...
Larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:48 AM   #25
isaak
Enthusiast
isaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheese

Device: kobo aura one; kindle dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofuman View Post
version 1.5 is out. 1.12 will be deleted.

Firmware upgrade will result in deletion of bookmarks and other data. It can also lead to other problems.

http://tofuman.zerois.net/images/iriverStory_V1.50.zip
--> temporarily deleted
Could you please post main features or a brief changelog of this version?
Thank you
isaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:11 AM   #26
tofuman
Enthusiast
tofuman began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad/ipaq3970
I don't have a story to test. So I'll just translate from the web site.

-gif support
-dictionary search
-automatic shut-off
-improved battery management (24 hrs -> 30 hrs)
-fast page turning (people say it got really faster)
-improved loading time for zip file
tofuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:54 AM   #27
wdi0225
wdi0225 began at the beginning.

Device: story
where can i find 1.5
wdi0225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:33 AM   #28
kt107
kt107 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofuman View Post
I don't have a story to test. So I'll just translate from the web site.

-gif support
-dictionary search
-automatic shut-off
-improved battery management (24 hrs -> 30 hrs)
-fast page turning (people say it got really faster)
-improved loading time for zip file
Thanks! Just upgraded my iRiver Story to 1.5. Everything's good so far! Thanks tofuman!
kt107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:33 AM   #29
danny71
danny71 began at the beginning.

would you guys recommend this reader? seems to be getting better with the upgrades, really like the look of it.

Dan
danny71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:35 PM   #30
cybbe

Interesting!

@caxandra, thanks for clearing this up. I guess this means that a epub bought from a swedish store would work since it's not time limited. And thank you for the name of the swedish distributor, it can always be handy to contact them for information.

@danny71, I can't really say much since this is my first ebook reader. But from what I've read, compared and experienced the story is a very good choice for a 6 inch reader today. I can recommend it based on my personal experience at least

I wonder if firmware 1.50 solves the swedish elibrary epub format :O

As the pressure seems to be pretty high on tofumans file share the link is dead since several hours. Maybe someone who got the file could repost it asap?

Thanks

Last edited by cybbe; 12-16-2009 at 12:46 PM.