Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-27-2013, 10:25 AM   #16081
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I am currently reading The Hunger Games on my Kindle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	games.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	103551  
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:41 PM   #16082
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Rage of a Demon King by Raymond E. Feist
The Fictionwise mobipocket copy was missing scene breaks between paragraphs. Luckily, the ePub version I have from the transfer to Barnes & Noble did have them, and I was able to convert relatively easily.

A good continuation of the story with lots going on. Occasionally a little bit too much exposition info-dump, but it kept me reading.

Next up: Armlet by Ross Richdale

I have no memory of this. Apparently I bought it back in May 2005!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #16083
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I hadn't read any of Dorothy L.Sayers' mystery novels for quite some time--the last being Murder Must Advertise about 20 years or so ago. Hence, I settled into Gaudy Night which is reputed to be one of her best Wimsey stories and one which involves Harriet Vane as well.

Its reputation is deserved. GN is elegantly and intelligently written and the characterization is far better than one gets in most mystery novels. Above all, it is really a Harriet Vane novel--though Lord Peter is there at the beginning and end--for it is through her eyes we see events developing. These events involve a series of highly disruptive events in the normally quiet university atmosphere. At first they seem to be pranks, but soon a sinister element becomes more obtrusive. . . .

The setting is Oxford University and though the specific College is fictional, it is probably based on Somerville College which Sayers attended and which for a time was exclusively for women. It certainly comes vividly to life in this novel.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #16084
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
I have two books going right now: Soldiers Live, the final (for now) volume in the Black Company series, and There Was A Country by Chinua Achebe (who, sadly, died last week).
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:23 PM   #16085
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I just bought Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher. It's the first book in the Codex Alera series. I'm already a huge fan of The Dresden Files and need a Jim Butcher fix before the next Dresden book is released.

http://www.amazon.ca/Furies-Calderon...4412151&sr=1-1
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #16086
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Hi Moe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
<snip >Yuck, so back to Spying in High Heels by Gemma Halliday, which should clear all those thoughts about bugs out of my head.
I couldn't get those little bugs out of my head and instead of continuing with Spying in High Heels by Gemma Halliday I read some of the short books by Mark Black and Charles River Editors. I will say that the Charles River Editor books are hit and miss about how well they are done and I have found that I like the ones by Mark Black much better, so far.

Spoiler:
Mark Black:
George Washington A Very Brief History
Henry VIII A Very Brief History

Charles River Editors:
The Anasazi Native American Tribes: The History and Culture of the Anasazi (Ancient Pueblo)
American Legends: The Wright Brothers
History's Greatest Mysteries: Stonehenge
Vlad The Impaler

I am mostly through David Batterham - Among Booksellers Tales Told in Letters to Howard Hodgkins which is an interesting story told through letters. It is both strange and interesting at the same time and I am unsure why I keep reading it other than I want to find out what develops.

I am now reading Bones of Angels by Christopher Forrest. It is keeping my attention so far, although the story jumps between the action happening with the various characters as the story progresses. This was a freebie I picked up from Amazon and although it states: "** Fans of James Rollins and Clive Cussler will love BONES OF ANGELS **" I would say it is a type of thriller along the lines of a Dan Brown book like the The Da Vinci Code. Maybe the addition of the special force teams put it closer to a Rollins/Cussler book?
Spoiler:
Quote:
What if explorers discovered the fossilized skeleton of an angel? What if this discovery was predicted by an ancient prophesy of the coming Apocalypse? In this new action-thriller novella from bestselling author Christopher Forrest, the Titan Six team races against time to uncover the lost secrets of a fallen Archangel. BONES OF ANGELS is a non-stop action adventure that delves into ancient mysteries and cutting edge science.

Praise for Christopher Forrest's thrillers:

From New York Times bestselling author JAMES ROLLINS: "Cutting edge science and lost history collide in a thrilling tour de force."

From BOOKLIST: "[Will] keep thriller fans panting."

From New York Times bestselling author Douglas Preston: "Launches the reader into a story of science and ancient mystery that will blow your mind."
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:59 PM   #16087
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
I hadn't read any of Dorothy L.Sayers' mystery novels for quite some time--the last being Murder Must Advertise about 20 years or so ago. Hence, I settled into Gaudy Night which is reputed to be one of her best Wimsey stories and one which involves Harriet Vane as well.

Its reputation is deserved. GN is elegantly and intelligently written and the characterization is far better than one gets in most mystery novels. Above all, it is really a Harriet Vane novel--though Lord Peter is there at the beginning and end--for it is through her eyes we see events developing. These events involve a series of highly disruptive events in the normally quiet university atmosphere. At first they seem to be pranks, but soon a sinister element becomes more obtrusive. . . .

The setting is Oxford University and though the specific College is fictional, it is probably based on Somerville College which Sayers attended and which for a time was exclusively for women. It certainly comes vividly to life in this novel.
It's one of my favourites, although I think I'd probably put "Murder Must Advertise" right at the very top.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #16088
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I just finished Judith Rock's "The Rhetoric of Death" the first book in her Charles du Luc series, and am moving on to the next in the series.

Quote:
Paris, 1686: When The Bishop of Marseilles discovers that his young cousin Charles du Luc, former soldier and half-fledged Jesuit, has been helping heretics escape the king's dragoons, the bishop sends him far away-to Paris, where Charles is assigned to assist in teaching rhetoric and directing dance at the prestigious college of Louis le Grand.

Charles quickly embraces his new life and responsibilities. But on his first day, the school's star dancer disappears from rehearsal, and the next day another student is run down in the street. When the dancer's body is found under the worst possible circumstances, Charles is determined to find the killer in spite of being ordered to leave the investigation.
I appear to be in a historical mystery phase. I just finished Ariana Franklin's The Mistress of the Art of Death series and loved it.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #16089
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:

I definitely haven't read it. It doesn't look too promising at present, but I'll give it a little longer.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #16090
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
[...]I am now reading Bones of Angels by Christopher Forrest. It is keeping my attention so far, although the story jumps between the action happening with the various characters as the story progresses. This was a freebie I picked up from Amazon and although it states: "** Fans of James Rollins and Clive Cussler will love BONES OF ANGELS **" I would say it is a type of thriller along the lines of a Dan Brown book like the The Da Vinci Code. Maybe the addition of the special force teams put it closer to a Rollins/Cussler book?
That makes it awkward for me. I'm definitely a big fan of Clive Cussler (well, back when it was him writing them), but the only James Rollins book I've read didn't do much for me.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:50 AM   #16091
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:

I'm starting to have those moments myself.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:54 AM   #16092
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Just finished Lola and the Boy next door by Stepanie Perkins. Highly recommended if you're into contemporary romance. Nex up: The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #16093
Avalona
Enthusiast
Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Fire 8 (2020)
Bouncing between three books right now: The Science of Yoga by William Broad, To Ride a Silver Broomstick by Silver RavenWolf, and rereading The Fellowship of the Ring by Tolkien.
Avalona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #16094
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
<snip> I am now reading Bones of Angels by Christopher Forrest. It is keeping my attention so far, although the story jumps between the action happening with the various characters as the story progresses. This was a freebie I picked up from Amazon and although it states: "** Fans of James Rollins and Clive Cussler will love BONES OF ANGELS **" I would say it is a type of thriller along the lines of a Dan Brown book like the The Da Vinci Code. Maybe the addition of the special force teams put it closer to a Rollins/Cussler book?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
That makes it awkward for me. I'm definitely a big fan of Clive Cussler (well, back when it was him writing them), but the only James Rollins book I've read didn't do much for me.
Well, I finished Bones of Angels by Christopher Forrest and though it was interesting, it's not like an earlier Cussler. I think all the scene changes with the different actions going on by the various groups of characters would do better as a script for a movie - a techno-thriller due to the special teams having enhanced abilities due to nano technology. I'm still thinking about it, so there must have been something that I liked about it; I just don't know how to describe it. Would I have paid for it? No, but if it was a book for a dollar at the discount store, I would have thought it was a fun little read to pass the time.

I haven't settled on what to read next. Maybe, I will try his other free book that I picked up - Savage Bay or go back and try to restart Bloodlines by James Rollins.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:09 PM   #16095
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Dana Stabenow & Carolyn Keene (Mildred A Wirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
The Haunted Bridge was a fun read. Touch of the Demon was quite exciting and also a lot different than the previous 4 novels in the series in that the detective aspect was missing which was because 98% of the story took place in the demon realm. I missed the cop stuff, and hope the series gets back to earth sometime soon. I'm looking forward to the next novel which has an the end of the year estimated release date.

Now on to another Tom Corbett story, The Space Pioneers, the 5th selection in the Tom Corbett Omnibus by Carey Rockwell. Also I'll be reading The House of Silk A Sherlock Holmes Novel by Anthony Horowitz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
The Conan Doyle Estate gave Horowitz permission to write another Sherlock Holmes story and he did a good job. The author researched Victorian London extensively and it made the story come alive. Not as much artful deduction as the originals and the language was somewhat modern. Did they say "that's right" in 1890 London? The ending was not a complete surprise. A red herring and shocking revelations round out this title. Rated C [3 stars].
The Space Pioneers, the 5th selection in the Tom Corbett Omnibus was a very enjoyable read.

The House of Silk A Sherlock Holmes Novel by Anthony Horowitz turned out to really have the feel of a Conan Doyle Holmes tale and I really got the feel of the environment and the characters. The story was very interesting as well and had some real surprising twists. With the exception of the Mary Russell series by Laurie R. King I've stayed away from the Holmes-by-other-authors stories, but I'm sure glad to have read this one!

Now on to another Nancy Drew Mystery, The Clue of the Tapping Heels (Nancy Drew #16) and Bad Blood (Kate Shugak #20) the latest by Dana Stabenow!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote