Notices

Old 07-09-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
Michelleh312
Member Retired
Michelleh312 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-t1
CSV column question ('comments')

Hi all,

I've been trying to create a catalogue in .csv to have a simple list of all the books I have. I include the title, author, comments, and identifiers. I've figured out how to work with the UTF-8 code.

My question:

In the column "comments", I have a brief summary of the book. When I create a catalog, I get the columns in this order: author, comments, identifier, title. I assume this is because it's alphabetic. However, the last two columns then appear on the second line, which makes it impossible for me to have an overview.

I think this has something to do with the comments column, because there, the text is quite long. When I make a list excluding the comments column, everything is fine and I can create a nice spreadsheet.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Perhaps it would help if I could mark that the comments column should be last?

Thanks for your help!
Michelle
Michelleh312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
As you observed, calibre exports the columns in alphabetic order. To change the column order after exporting, open the CSV file in your spreadsheet program and rearrange the columns as you want them.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #3
Michelleh312
Member Retired

@GRiker

Thanks for your reply. I understand that I can do that normally, but I can't do that when I use the 'comments' column. Then, because the input per book is so long, the 2 columns that come after 'comments', are put on the next line. I can't cut/paste anything then, because I would also be doing that to other data.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Naamloos.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	88959  
Old 07-10-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelleh312 View Post
@GRiker

Thanks for your reply. I understand that I can do that normally, but I can't do that when I use the 'comments' column. Then, because the input per book is so long, the 2 columns that come after 'comments', are put on the next line. I can't cut/paste anything then, because I would also be doing that to other data.
Your CSV import template is breaking 'a record' on a comma or quote in the Data

Your other choice is to try the Command Line Interface (See Calibre online Help): http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cli/...calibredb-list
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #5
Michelleh312
Member Retired

@theducks

Hi! I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean.

If you mean that this happens because there are commas in the summaries, then I can tell you that is not a problem. For some reason the program sees this and doesn't use it as a marker to put the rest of the text in a new column.

(You can't see that in the attachment I put in above but I've tried this with many entries!)
Old 07-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelleh312 View Post
@theducks

Hi! I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean.

If you mean that this happens because there are commas in the summaries, then I can tell you that is not a problem. For some reason the program sees this and doesn't use it as a marker to put the rest of the text in a new column.

(You can't see that in the attachment I put in above but I've tried this with many entries!)
IIRC Many CSV also has a 255 char limit in a field.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:53 PM   #7
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Hi Michelleh312,

I'm probably 6 weeks too late, but I just noticed your post when I was doing some browsing in the forum.

Have you solved your problem? Do you use Excel?
In the unlikely event that you still need some help ...

In Excel, go to: Format > Cells > Alignment and see if "Wrap Text" is checked. If it is, remove the check and see if that helps.
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote