Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-18-2012, 11:04 PM   #76
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is a good example. Definitely better than the book IMO.

Fight Club? Interesting...but I think they are just very different. The chapter in the book about what he put in the food when he worked as a waiter...well, it's not in the film.

LOTR? OMG, sacrilege! What!
I liked the first film very much, but after that they went down hard. To compare to the book? Ludicrous! They should have made six separate movies faithfully mapped to the original six books. All that story-line flipping made me dizzy.

BTW you need to read the Silmarillion and the Lost Tales to appreciate the poetry and just who Gilgalad was and why you should care
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:40 AM   #77
Mike Hobart
Enthusiast
Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike Hobart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Film better than the book? Only one that comes to mind is The Graduate. I complained how dull it was to a friend [science fiction writer A. Bertram Chandler] and he just puffed on his pipe and said in his experience bad novels often made good movies and vice versa!

On consideration, I do remember that the movie PBS made of Ursula K. LeGuin's The Lathe of Heaven was slightly different to the novel but the differences were improvements for once.
Mike Hobart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:20 PM   #78
Fozzybear
Enthusiast
Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
The Shawshank Redemption I thought worked much better as a film, though I did enjoy the book immensely and would rather like to read it again some time.

Lord of the Rings is a tricky one - the films (...has to be the extended editions!) are superb, though a touch cheesy in some places. I think the books are better but definitely lean towards a bit too much poetry (which I also tend to skim through after reading some of it) and exposition - you can really tell that Tolkien was an English professor! The books give much more of an impression of scale of the lands and the task at hand than the films do but the films are excellent and keep the important aspects of the story intact - trying to fit the sheer scope of the books into three films must have been a herculean task. I've watched the extra material on the extended editions (in all there are 9 dvds of documentaries on the blu-ray set!!) and the amount of work and attention to detail they put into the films is quite astonishing - they had people working for years making chainmail!

Oh, and I saw the Fellowship of the Ring before I'd read the books - I certainly prefer the flow of the first book, even though I'm not actually terribly keen on Tom Bombadil.

I agree about High Fidelity too, I saw the film and thought it was fantastic but the book just left me cold. I've read another of his books and quite liked it but that one just didn't work as well as the film did for me.

Last edited by Fozzybear; 02-19-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Fozzybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #79
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I have to disagree on One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I read the book three times, I loved it so much, and then saw the movie many years later. It is a very good movie, certainly Nicholson is phenomenal. I appreciate that the movie stands on its own as a great movie. But the book is still one of my very favorite books, with a different message from the movie.

Which leads me to a theory. For those who said the movie was better than the book, which did you see/read first, the book or the movie? I'm thinking you can only like the movie best if you saw the movie first. Agree, disagree?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #80
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo,kindle,supernova, playbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
this might be controversial but i've gotta say Lord of the Rings. i thought the books were painfully dull and the movies did a nice job of cutting to the chase.
agree 100%... also 'get shorty' by elmore leonard.

Last edited by hard-boiled pat; 02-19-2012 at 05:44 PM.
hard-boiled pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:04 PM   #81
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
I have to disagree on One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I read the book three times, I loved it so much, and then saw the movie many years later. It is a very good movie, certainly Nicholson is phenomenal. I appreciate that the movie stands on its own as a great movie. But the book is still one of my very favorite books, with a different message from the movie.

Which leads me to a theory. For those who said the movie was better than the book, which did you see/read first, the book or the movie? I'm thinking you can only like the movie best if you saw the movie first. Agree, disagree?

eP
Nope. I had read 'The Black Stallion' probably a dozen times as a kid years before I saw the movie. I still think the movie is far, far superior.

I think whichever you experience first might prejudice you a bit, but if your judgment is still intact, you ought to be able to judge each on its own merits.

On the other hand, I've yet to see a film version of 'Little Women' that even began to do the book justice, although the TV version starring Susan Dey came by far the closest.

LOTR is kind of a Rorschach test - some people LOVE the books, some are completely bored by them. Some of the same people who dislike the books might love the movies, some who love the books might hate the movies (although I've met very few of the latter category). Me, I think the movies are awe-inspiring achievements of film, but I still think the book was better because of the level of detail and because Tolkien's philosophy is clearer. Tolkien's writing is quite Victorian in tone - doesn't bother me because I read of lot of Victorian lit anyway, but for those with more 'modern' tastes I can see where they might find it draggy. But then I find much of modern lit *too* stripped down. When there's nothing left but plot, then there's nothing left worth reading, IMHO.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #82
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
As far as LOTR is concerned. I think the movie and the film are both brilliant, but clearly different.
There are parts of the novel that I couldn't stand, and parts of the movie that I thought were sappy and overdone.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:47 PM   #83
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hobart View Post

On consideration, I do remember that the movie PBS made of Ursula K. LeGuin's The Lathe of Heaven was slightly different to the novel but the differences were improvements for once.
But the A&E remake with James Caan and Lukas Haas was not only bad but, though the plot was similar,the point the movie seemed to be making was the complete opposite of what the book was all about.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #84
altworld
Evangelist
altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altworld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android G1
Kick Ass the movie was much more fun and joyful tribute to over-the-top Superheroics and unashamed comic book violence that I felt the actually comic was. The comic book was actually fairly depressing and ended on a low note.
altworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #85
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

eP
ive never watched the shining movie because i loved the shining book so much.

closest i came was watching a spoof of it on a simpsons halloween special.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:39 PM   #86
heySkippy
Groupie
heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I was disappointed by The Shining (the movie) at the time. I was a big fan of the book and didn't think the movie measured up.

If you want a King book that was better as a movie, I think Carrie (original, haven't seen the remake) is a better example.
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:42 PM   #87
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
I was disappointed by The Shining (the movie) at the time. I was a big fan of the book and didn't think the movie measured up.

If you want a King book that was better as a movie, I think Carrie (original, haven't seen the remake) is a better example.
i agree, also pet semetary was a good adaptation in my opinion.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:31 AM   #88
Fozzybear
Enthusiast
Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.Fozzybear is that somebody.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post

I agree about the Shining. I really enjoyed the book but the film I thought was pretty poor, though it seems to be held up in some circles as a great work. I'd forgotten about the Simpsons version, that was a good one. Ach! He's got the Shinning!

I remember reading a movie novelization once, I think it was Terminator 2 (!), and the only thing I can remember is that every time the author wanted to add a dramatic emphasis it involved something 'which missed him by inches!' - it was awful!
Fozzybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #89
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
I've always liked the book better independent of what I've seen/read first. But you could make a poll.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #90
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Movies were better:
Children of Men
Breakfast at Tiffany's (close one, could be because I saw the movie first)
Fight Club (close one, could be because I saw the movie first)
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote