Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-18-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
marymac
marymac began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Pls Suggest: How to search archives

I've got about 500 books, and 5 family members on our Kindle Account. Mostly I buy the books and so far my memory is OK and I can remember what book it is out in the Archives. I buy LOTs of books that don't interest the other readers which probably annoys them. I also have access to the Manage your Kindle website and the special site where you can read your highlights and see your ratings... but I really don't want to give the other users unlimited access to my Amazon account....And besides neither of these Amazon websites let you search (or even sort) by your collections.

But, scrolling through the archives is really tedious, and the only way to know what a book is about is to download it and then look at the book description.

I've tried doing the "search your items" functionality on the Kindle.... but it searches for the word ANYWHERE in the book....

I was wondering, is there a way to uniquely name collections that will allow you to search the archives by collection? Where is the collection named stored: is it even in the archive or is it just on each Kindle?

There is something called "tagging" which appears to be an old function on all of Amazon's sites... I don't know if that would help me here as the tag is public, and I don't know if it is stored in the archive. For example, If I search by Fiction (which is not in my collection name), some books do show up that are fiction but not all books which are fiction show up (additionally, books with fiction in the text show up). Is there a way to make a private tag on the Kindle books that are in the archive?

I've sent suggestions/feedback to Amazon about even just letting us sort the archive by date added... or ideally to sort by collections or allow you to look up a description from the archive list.... or make their webpage have collections on it...but I honestly don't think they want to deal with this organizational problem we all have with Kindles.

Thanks for any suggestions!!
marymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:43 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
How about setting up an account on Goodreads or Shelfari to list the books on your Kindle? I believe with Shelfari, you can import your Kindle books from your Amazon account.

Or a spreadsheet on Google docs?

I keep all of my ebooks in lists in Delicious Library and Calibre, as I have a lot of ebooks not only from Amazon but many other sources. None of my methods are perfect, which is why I cross-reference them between these two app and Goodreads.

Last edited by pidgeon92; 11-18-2011 at 06:46 PM.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
marymac
marymac began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I appears Shelfari is limited to 50 books, unless I'm missing something? I'll play around with it... it looks a lot like my kindle.amazon account where you are supposed to be able to show your ratings as well as notes and highlights... but again, no way to search by collection, topic, type of book.... A web interface to Amazon is what I need though...

thanks... I'll look at Delicious Library. Calibre seems great---if you want to keep your books on a PC..
marymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:16 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Kindle4PC was how I use to do this. It has a search feature.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:55 PM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by marymac View Post
I appears Shelfari is limited to 50 books, unless I'm missing something?
No, there is no limit. I have hundreds of books on Shelfari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marymac View Post
I'll look at Delicious Library. Calibre seems great---if you want to keep your books on a PC..
Delicious Library is a Mac application. Calibre runs on multiple OS's, and I have all of my ebooks backed up in Calibre.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
archive, collections, manage, manager