Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-15-2020, 06:42 PM   #16
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I've beey really happy with Minion Pro on Kindle.. (sadly, not available for free download.). The Baskerville variant that comes with the Kindle just loos a little bit off with the kerning and really large contrastr, (typographical contrast, ie, the difference in the width of the strokes.)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 11:19 PM   #17
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
I use Academy.kz and CMU Serif (default LaTeX font) for scientific articles,
Sans Forgetica just for fun,
and for rest: Avenir Next, Gill Sans, Trebuchet (those three I took from Nook e-readers, so they are not freely available, sorry), Cambria, Literata, Palatino Linotype KZ, Seravek, Ubuntu, and Verdana.
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 06:00 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
I've beey really happy with Minion Pro on Kindle.. (sadly, not available for free download.). The Baskerville variant that comes with the Kindle just loos a little bit off with the kerning and really large contrastr, (typographical contrast, ie, the difference in the width of the strokes.)
If you like Baskerville, try ChareInk. It looks very good on a Kindle and it's not loose.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 06:18 AM   #19
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
EB Garamond Absinthe.

Haven't felt inclined to use any other font since I put it on my reader.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:22 AM   #20
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
I don't know about licensing issues, but if you install Adobe Acrobat Reader on your computer, it comes with Minion and Myriad IIRC.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 02:55 AM   #21
Waitingforatrain
Groupie
Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Voyage
Thanks for the tips on these fonts. I think my favorite right now is Noto Serif. I can't seem to consistently get custom fonts to work on books that I send via email and am not sure why it works for some and not others. I use Calibre to convert to mobi/both and send by email within Calibre. Is there some trick that I am missing? I've tried embedding the font but that doesn't seem to matter. I also uninstalled the font hack. Am on 5.12.1 (unfortunately). I know I can convert to azw3 and send to kindle via usb but like being able to sync to my phone as well.
Waitingforatrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 05:53 AM   #22
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waitingforatrain View Post
Thanks for the tips on these fonts. I think my favorite right now is Noto Serif. I can't seem to consistently get custom fonts to work on books that I send via email and am not sure why it works for some and not others. I use Calibre to convert to mobi/both and send by email within Calibre. Is there some trick that I am missing? I've tried embedding the font but that doesn't seem to matter. I also uninstalled the font hack. Am on 5.12.1 (unfortunately). I know I can convert to azw3 and send to kindle via usb but like being able to sync to my phone as well.
The Calibre-generated mobi/both doesn't work always. You can try the following trick: don't convert. Change the file extension of your epub file from .epub to .txt and email it. The custom fonts should work now.

You can reinstall the font_ramp hack, if you want, it has nothing to do with the mobi/both issue.

Last edited by Sirtel; 02-08-2020 at 05:57 AM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 04:14 PM   #23
Waitingforatrain
Groupie
Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The Calibre-generated mobi/both doesn't work always. You can try the following trick: don't convert. Change the file extension of your epub file from .epub to .txt and email it. The custom fonts should work now.
Thanks. That didn't work without actually doing a calibre conversion from epub to txt. Somewhat plain output that loses much of the formatting/layout.
Old 02-08-2020, 04:18 PM   #24
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Thanks. That didn't work without actually doing a calibre conversion from epub to txt. Somewhat plain output that loses much of the formatting/layout.
No, don't convert, just change the extension. Sometimes it won't arrive and you have to try again later. The Amazon sending system is pretty glitchy.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 03:25 AM   #25
Waitingforatrain
Groupie

So far no go but will keep trying. Thanks.
Old 02-09-2020, 06:53 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The reason is that you receive Mobi format eBooks from email and custom fonts are not supported by Mobi.

The solution is to not bother with email and just side load KF8 format eBooks to your Kindle. Don't bother with syncing. Just read a different book on each Kindle.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:51 PM   #27
Waitingforatrain
Groupie

Not entirely true since many of the books I use with Calibre do indeed support custom fonts after mobi/both conversion. Just having trouble with a few. If I sideload the problem mobis I get custom fonts, but not when I email or use send to Kindle app. Others work just fine. I prefer to be able to sync with custom fonts but will make do if I have to.

Last edited by Waitingforatrain; 02-09-2020 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-09-2020, 04:41 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Not entirely true since many of the books I use with Calibre do indeed support custom fonts after mobi/both conversion. Just having trouble with a few. If I sideload the problem mobis I get custom fonts, but not when I email or use send to Kindle app. Others work just fine. I prefer to be able to sync with custom fonts but will make do if I have to.
How were these problematic dual format Kindle eBooks created and from what source? If it is from ePub, you may want to run the ePub through epubcheck and if you created it with Calibre, you could try using Kindlegen to convert.
Old 02-09-2020, 04:54 PM   #29
Waitingforatrain
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How were these problematic dual format Kindle eBooks created and from what source? If it is from ePub, you may want to run the ePub through epubcheck and if you created it with Calibre, you could try using Kindlegen to convert.
I used the same process as I always do. If the source is epub (the ones I'm having issues) then I convert to mobi/both using Calibre. I looked at it with the built in epub editor and the .css files had references to specific fonts. Copied over .css files from another epub that works just fine with custom fonts post conversion and still no go. Will try it with kindlegen. Otherwise I give up. Well, maybe
Old 02-10-2020, 04:53 AM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I used the same process as I always do. If the source is epub (the ones I'm having issues) then I convert to mobi/both using Calibre. I looked at it with the built in epub editor and the .css files had references to specific fonts. Copied over .css files from another epub that works just fine with custom fonts post conversion and still no go. Will try it with kindlegen. Otherwise I give up. Well, maybe
The thing to do is install the epubcheck plugin and in the editor use it to check the ePub. It could be you have errors in the ePub. Also, it's a very bad idea to swap CSS.