Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-03-2019, 09:21 AM   #706
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
";merchant" is a named search bar expression used in Amazon's "factory" (Q.A. production line only) firmware not in any "customer" firmware (at least that we know of).

We (the developers of identifying the factory's internal use only firmware) did not start doing so prior to the PW2. We no longer had access to the "factory (use only)" firmware for the K5 and PW1.

IIRC, that ";merchant" entry should be missing from the archive, not present and empty.
I.E: You have discovered an artifact of our archive packaging, not discovered a way to jail break the older (K5 and PW1) series 5.x firmwares. We (that same "we") never saved copies of the K5 and PW1 factory use only firmware packages prior to the PW2.
Afaik, the K5 Factory Jailbreak is intended for:
PW2 KV PW3 KOA KT3 KOA2 PW4 KT4

The Merchant.zip file is hard linked to FactoryJB/src/whee.zip. Using 7-zip, extracting the complete archive gives a 724-byte Merchant.zip file exactly the same as whee.zip.

Trying to extract Merchant.zip by itself throws off an error (cannot create hard link).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:12 AM   #707
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
Well done. I didn't try actually extracting the archive.

As ilovejedd observed, the Merchant.zip isn't actually zero bytes. 7-zip reports zero bytes because it is reporting the size of the hard link (mirror copy). id est, it is reporting the size of the link not the actual referenced file.

We or most of us anyway are accustomed to working with symbolic links which work in the opposite manner.
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:20 AM   #708
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
. . .

Trying to extract Merchant.zip by itself throws off an error (cannot create hard link).
You are probably looking at the contents of the visible, usb storage area...
Which is FAT32 (no links, hard or soft, supported).

BUT:
I should really disable this keyboard.

It has been getting me into trouble for months now.

Maybe if I got a new keyboard from Amazon I could better remember these Kindle details.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:37 AM   #709
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You are probably looking at the contents of the visible, usb storage area...
Which is FAT32 (no links, hard or soft, supported).
Nah, I'm looking at the tarball using 7-zip. No Kindles connected at all. Junket posted a pic above showing what it looks like. Even shows the start of the hard link target's path.

Drag and dropping Merchant.zip to a folder (on NTFS) throws an error. Extracting the complete tarball works. Didn't check if the extracted Merchant.zip is actually a separate file or a hard link to whee.zip.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:43 AM   #710
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Nah, I'm looking at the tarball using 7-zip. No Kindles connected at all. Junket posted a pic above showing what it looks like. Even shows the start of the hard link target's path.

Drag and dropping Merchant.zip to a folder (on NTFS) throws an error. Extracting the complete tarball works. Didn't check if the extracted Merchant.zip is actually a separate file or a hard link to whee.zip.
Yup.
I really need to take up a different hobby.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:57 AM   #711
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
Coffee is a good one.
Or could be something else if you prefer. It's always after 5:00 somewhere.
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:40 AM   #712
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Huh. That should be built with hard deref enabled (because, yeah, it's a hard-link during the build process). Will double-check, thanks .

EDIT: Ah, yeah, the top-level packaging script isn't using hard-deref, oops. .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-04-2019 at 10:43 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 12:25 AM   #713
Schattenjager
Schattenjager began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 740
@NiLuJe
Just installed the latest snapshots on PW3 after updating to 5.12.3 (including jailbreak and KUAL hotfixes) - everything works great.
Thanks again!
Schattenjager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 01:23 AM   #714
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good to know, since that was basically the extent of the changes .

(i.e., repackaging hotfixes for 5.12.3, and the aforementioned hardlink snafu).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-17-2019 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:07 AM   #715
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schattenjager View Post
@NiLuJe
Just installed the latest snapshots on PW3 after updating to 5.12.3 (including jailbreak and KUAL hotfixes) - everything works great.
Thanks again!
metoo on my PW4

@NiLuJe, new to me, installing the 2019-Dec-07 snapshots displayed shiny icon drawings specific to each hack being installed. I couldn't find where that fbink magic occurs in the sources. Just curious, where are these?
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 12:19 PM   #716
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@PoP: Over here .
Old 12-17-2019, 12:57 PM   #717
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
^
Ahhh ttf. Got it:

Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2019_12_17T12_49_45-0500.png
Views:	191
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	175678
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 01:52 PM   #718
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Also, your snapshot made me remember that I actually committed this, too ;p.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-17-2019 at 04:02 PM.
Old 12-25-2019, 10:54 PM   #719
Lepri
Lepri began at the beginning.

Device: KOA2
Hi. I have jailbroken KOA2. And it was silent updated to 5.2.13 with 1.15 hotfix. After that I cannot install 1.16 hotfix via UYK. Error 007.
But I tried to "Restore ;log command for 5.12.* firmware" and it worked. I installed hotfix 1.16 by ;mrpi command. But again when I try to install hotfix via UYK it does not work. Error 007 again. How can I install 1.16 hotfix with UYK?
Lepri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 01:44 AM   #720
Lepri
Lepri began at the beginning.

Device: KOA2
Ok found the way. I installed "Update_jailbreak_bridge_1.16.N_install.bin" with ;mrpi and now I can install 1.16 bridge with UYK.
Lepri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hacks, kindle, niluje