Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-17-2011, 11:08 AM   #1
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Nook screensavers & Calibre book covers

Hi Nook-with-Calibre users,

I am not a Nook owner myself so I'm a stranger in this forum -- so please be kind

In January, I created a Calibre plugin which allows quick and easy copying of Calibre book covers to your device for use as screensavers. It started out supporting Sony and Pocketbook devices (which I own) and has since had Kindle support added. It appears to be being successfully used by 6000+ users.

A couple of days ago a Nook STR user (Dopedangel) asked me whether I could add Nook STR support. Testing of a prototype seems to have been successful. We suspect it should also work on the Nook original but have been unable to test this due to neither of us having one. We don't think it would work on a Nook Color.

No hacking of your Nook is required. The only "technical knowledge" required is the ability to perform a one-off task of creating a sub-directory in your Nook internal memory.
- for a Nook STR, it must be called [Nook drive:]/screensavers/calibre
- for a Nook original, it must be called [Nook drive:]/my screensavers/calibre

Whilst the plugin is not as convenient as having an on-device option of display-cover-of-current-book, it may suffice until your Nook developers can provide such an option.

Anyway, if you are interested, you can read more about it in the main Calibre plugin thread. Anyone who is using other Calibre plugins will be aware that installing a new plugin is as simple as picking from a list.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask here or in the main thread.

Kind regards, Jackie

[Edit:]*** Plugin now correctly supports both Nook STR and Nook original ***

Last edited by jackie_w; 09-20-2011 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Suppport for Nook original now corrected
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:06 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Thanks, great plug-in, K for you!
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2011, 01:12 PM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Thanks, great plug-in, K for you!
Thanks for being brave enough to try it

Are you able to confirm whether it works on the Nook original? I'll update the documentation accordingly.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
OrganicJerk
Enthusiast
OrganicJerk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.OrganicJerk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.OrganicJerk has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Nook STR
I can't wait to try this plugin when I get home.

Thanks for checking in here, I wouldn't have seen this otherwise!

UPDATE: This works beautifully on the Nook Touch.

As stated previously, the only "technical" work is to create a "calibre" folder in the screensavers folder. Once that's done, it's just a matter of highlighting the covers you want to show up, and pressing a menu button. Simple, easy.

Functionality exactly like this should have been integrated into the Nook software from the beginning. Awesome work.

Last edited by OrganicJerk; 09-17-2011 at 05:29 PM.
OrganicJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:17 PM   #5
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Update

I've been informed that the Nook original expects its screensavers to be stored in sub-directories under
[Nook drive:]/my screensavers
rather than
[Nook drive:]/screensavers

This will need a little more work from me. By the time I've finished, my volunteer tester will probably have gone to bed, but I'll try to release a new plugin version, supporting both Nook STR and Nook original models, as soon as I can.

In the meantime Nook STR owners should be OK with the current version (1.5.0)

Apologies for any confusion.
Advert
Old 09-18-2011, 12:10 PM   #6
Traciinaz
Enthusiast
Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook Glowlight 3, Kindle Paperwhite 4, Nook 7" Tablet
Smile plugin

Thanks so much for that plugin!
Traciinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:50 PM   #7
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
Thanks jackie_w,
Maybe a bit of a noob question, I've installed the plugin ok and even changed the settings on it, But where in Calibre is it supposed to show up to copy the cover to my Nook STR ?
I'm guessing right click on book and it should show an option ? Can't seem to find it though, I've restarted Calibre as instructed but still can't find it, I also read about settings in the "tools" section and adding it but it doesn't show the cover plugin Thanks.
gargoyle67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:28 PM   #8
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoyle67 View Post
Thanks jackie_w,
Maybe a bit of a noob question, I've installed the plugin ok and even changed the settings on it, But where in Calibre is it supposed to show up to copy the cover to my Nook STR ?
I'm guessing right click on book and it should show an option ? Can't seem to find it though, I've restarted Calibre as instructed but still can't find it, I also read about settings in the "tools" section and adding it but it doesn't show the cover plugin Thanks.
As for any Calibre plugin you may wish to add, you need to add the Copy Cover option to one (or more) of your toolbars/menus.

For example, suppose you wanted to add it to the right-click context menu (see attached image for reference)
  • Go to Calibre Preferences - Toolbar
  • From the drop-down list along the top (in very large letters) select The context menu for the books in the calibre library
  • In the left-hand list (Available actions), find Copy cover to device (its a little brown book icon) and click the blue arrow pointing to the right-hand list (Current actions). The right-hand list contains all the items you currently see when you right-click on a book.
  • The Copy cover item will move to the bottom of the right-hand list.
  • You can use the green up/down arrows to move the item up/down the list if you wish.
  • When you're happy, press Apply (top row) followed by Close

Now, if you highlight a book in the library window and right-click you should see Copy cover to device on the list of actions.

By the way, I have customised a few of my Calibre icons so don't be surprised if yours look different. The little brown book icon should be the same though.

Does this help?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	toolbar.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	76669  
Old 09-19-2011, 01:57 AM   #9
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
Thanks jackie_w, Yes that helped, I didn't notice there was a drop down list above the "Tools" which is why I wasn't seeing the plugin, Rookie mistake lol. Thanks man
gargoyle67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:45 AM   #10
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

v1.5.1 released

• Plugin should now work correctly for both Nook original and Nook STR models

If there are any problems after upgrade, please post here or in main plugin thread.

Regards, Jackie
Old 09-24-2011, 08:49 PM   #11
diremommy
Zealot
diremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zenpad S 8, iPad mini 2
I have just one teeny tiny, probably stupid question- if I put multiple covers, will it automatically use the cover matching the book I am currently reading, or will it simply cycle through the pictures each time the device goes into sleep mode, like it always does? If it WILL use the cover for whatever I'm reading, where is the setting for that?
diremommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:12 PM   #12
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by diremommy View Post
I have just one teeny tiny, probably stupid question- if I put multiple covers, will it automatically use the cover matching the book I am currently reading, or will it simply cycle through the pictures each time the device goes into sleep mode, like it always does? If it WILL use the cover for whatever I'm reading, where is the setting for that?
Not a stupid question, but I'm afraid it can't detect the cover of the book you're currently reading. Coding needs to be done on the Nook itself, by the Nook developers, to achieve that.

If you copy multiple covers, then select the calibre subdirectory using the Nook's screensaver feature, it will cycle through the covers in the calibre subdirectory in its normal way.

Of course if you only copy a single cover, i.e. that of your current book, the Nook should always display this cover when you go into sleep mode.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:30 PM   #13
diremommy
Zealot
diremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zenpad S 8, iPad mini 2
Got it, that's what I thought, thanks!
diremommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:15 PM   #14
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
thanks!
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:02 AM   #15
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Looks like just_me has come up with a way for the currently reading book cover to show up on nook touch. But you need a rooted nook as well use coolreader as your reader.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...112682&page=23

Last edited by Dopedangel; 09-27-2011 at 03:06 AM.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, nook, screensaver