Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-17-2010, 03:14 PM   #1
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
*.otf fonts on PocketBook

Today, I found out, I had serious misunderstanding concerning font types.

I was, as usual, looking for THE perfect font for reading on my PocketBook. I was sitting in front of Windows computer and I was looking at some fonts. I realized that even if the fonts all had *.ttf extension, some had "good old" ttf icon and some had OpenType icon. When I doubleclicked on a font with ttf icon a build-in windows font preview window appeared with info that it is, indeed, a true type font. When I clicked on a *.ttf font with an OpenType icon a font preview window appeared stating that this is OpenType font with TrueType outlines.

Wait ... ... I am using some of those OpenType-disguised-as-TrueType fonts in my reader at the moment ...

I rushed to wikipedia and looked up "Open Type"
Quote:
OpenType is a format for scalable computer fonts. It was built on its predecessor TrueType, retaining TrueType's basic structure and adding many intricate data structures for prescribing typographic behavior.
Filename extension .otf, .ttf
So I grabed some *.otf fonts I found on the net (and wanted to convert to ttf but did not know how ;-) ), renamed them to *.otf.ttf and copied onto /system/fonts/ folder on my PocketBook.
It works!

Yet another point from my wishlist - support for otf fonts - was just fulfiled.

Just a reminder.
You can also rename *.ttc to *.ttf and load directly to PocketBook.
kacir is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Today, I found out, I had serious misunderstanding concerning font types.

I was, as usual, looking for THE perfect font for reading on my PocketBook. I was sitting in front of Windows computer and I was looking at some fonts. I realized that even if the fonts all had *.ttf extension, some had "good old" ttf icon and some had OpenType icon. When I doubleclicked on a font with ttf icon a build-in windows font preview window appeared with info that it is, indeed, a true type font. When I clicked on a *.ttf font with an OpenType icon a font preview window appeared stating that this is OpenType font with TrueType outlines.

Wait ... ... I am using some of those OpenType-disguised-as-TrueType fonts in my reader at the moment ...

I rushed to wikipedia and looked up "Open Type"

So I grabed some *.otf fonts I found on the net (and wanted to convert to ttf but did not know how ;-) ), renamed them to *.otf.ttf and copied onto /system/fonts/ folder on my PocketBook.
It works!

Yet another point from my wishlist - support for otf fonts - was just fulfiled.

Just a reminder.
You can also rename *.ttc to *.ttf and load directly to PocketBook.
How could you rush to wikipedia when you had only to look up fonts in our own wiki

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote