Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-02-2008, 10:14 PM   #1
TrailGirl
TrailGirl began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Unhappy ebook library has stopped working

All of the sudden when I launch the eBook Library, I get the following message: eBook Library has stopped working.

There's an option to "check online for solution" but it doesn't find anything. When I expand the details, it shows APPCRASH of ebook library.exe

I have tried to uninstall and reinstall using the online version and the cd version and still get the same results. I also found the thread that listed all areas on the c drive that need to be deleted and did so...still doesn't work.

I'm perplexed and of course calling the techs didn't help. They "escalated" my call and still have not responded to me. I'm going to call them back, but wanted to know if anyone else has run into this issue and fixed it.

Thanks.
TrailGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:32 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Have you installed any software or updates recently?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:35 PM   #3
TrailGirl

Just the usual Windows and Norton updates that come up.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:41 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'm sorry to hear about your problem.

This really isn't a solution to what caused the problem, but if all else fails you might try a System Restore.

Please let us know what the status is.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:53 PM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Hmm a Norton update... did you try turning it off and running the program?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:57 PM   #6
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
I got this error several times when my IBM-installed firewire had its rules reset. Make sure there are no software firewalls running that might be blocking network access for the application.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:46 AM   #7
richyhu
Enthusiast
richyhu is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue), PRS-700, PRS-T1 (Black)
Try adding the Connect software exe to the DEP exclusion list in System Properties. I had the same problem a few weeks back.
richyhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 03:49 PM   #8
TrailGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by richyhu View Post
Try adding the Connect software exe to the DEP exclusion list in System Properties. I had the same problem a few weeks back.
I turned off Norton and that didn't help. As to the above suggestion, can you give me instructions on how to do this?

Thanks.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:27 PM   #9
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailGirl View Post
I turned off Norton and that didn't help. As to the above suggestion, can you give me instructions on how to do this?

Thanks.
I've not done it for ebook library software but I have done it for the Money File. Here were the instructions for money:

1. Open the Folder Options item in Control Panel. • In Windows Vista, click Start, type Folder Options in the Start Search box. Then, click Folder Options in the Programs list.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
• In Windows XP and in earlier versions of Windows, click Start, click Run, type Control folders, and then click OK.

2. Click the View tab.
3. In the Advanced settings list, click Show hidden files and folders under Hidden files and folders.
4. Click to clear the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) check box.
5. Close the Folder Options dialog box. To do this, click OK.
6. In the System Properties dialog box, open the Advanced tab. To do this, use one of the following methods: • In Windows Vista, click Start, right-click Computer, click Properties, and then click Advanced system settings.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
• In Windows XP, click Start, right-click My Computer, click Properties, and then click the Advanced tab.

7. Under Performance, click Settings.
8. Click the Data Execution Prevention tab.
9. Click Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select.
10. Click Add, and then locate the ebook librry folder. By default, the folder is located in the following folder:
C:\Program File\
11. You must add the following file to the Data Execution Prevention tab:
• ebooklibrary.exe
12. Click OK to close the Performance Options dialog box.
13. Click OK to the following message:
The changes you have made require you to restart your computer before they can take effect.
14. Close the System Properties dialog box. To do this, click OK.
15. Restart the computer.

Last edited by Lilly; 09-06-2008 at 01:46 AM.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 05:44 PM   #10
TrailGirl

Talking Got it!

I found out where that DEP (Data Execution Prevention) resided (actually, my partner found it and she's beside herself that she was the one to do it!).

So I chose the ebooklibrary.exe file and everything works great now!

Thanks for all the replies!

Old 09-29-2008, 10:35 PM   #11
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
I had the same problem. Thanks for the detailed help! Issue resolved

The Sony website should have mentioned that, but there was no help to be found concerning this issue. Fortunately there is Mobileread and its community

This problem seems very common with Vista, while adding Ebooklibrairy.exe I saw and remembered that I already had to add another program (Steam).

Last edited by Faenad; 09-29-2008 at 11:03 PM.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 03:37 PM   #12
kwbrindl
kwbrindl began at the beginning.

Sorry for the me-too, but this helped me tremendously! I just got my reader today and the library program would not run - exactly the same symptoms as TrailGirl. The detailed instructions from Lilly completely fixed my problem. Thanks from this newbee!
kwbrindl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:51 PM   #13
PavelE
PavelE began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 606
I have the same problem. Well, it looks exactly the same:The program stopped working ..." and so on. I have very carefully followed the above instruction (in fact, I've done this several times), but nothing has changed.
I've restarted the PC, uninstalled and installed the program, added it to DEP exclusion, but it is not working ((

I have Vista 64, home edition.

Please, help.
PavelE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:43 PM   #14
bushtick
bushtick began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I've not done it for ebook library software but I have done it for the Money File. Here were the instructions for money:
1. Open the Folder Options item in Control Panel. • In Windows Vista, click Start, type Folder Options in the Start Search box. Then, click Folder Options in the Programs list. If you are prompted for an administrator password or etc
Lilly - just wanted to say a big thank you for this tip. I know you posted this some time ago but it sorted out my Sony eBook Library software after several fruitless reinstalls. Cheers, Colin, Hastings, UK
bushtick is offline   Reply With Quote