Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-30-2011, 06:46 PM   #1
Jigglypuff
Jigglypuff began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
recommend Nook2Android (n2a)

http://www.nook2android.com/

I bought that; it is amazing! I highly recommend it for those of us too lazy/busy/hesitant to try rooting our Nooks on our own.

I like that you can boot the Nook OS or the Android OS from the get go. I like all the support available, as well.

Let me know if you have any questions!
Jigglypuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:15 AM   #2
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook One, PocketBook 360, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigglypuff View Post
http://www.nook2android.com/

I bought that; it is amazing! I highly recommend it for those of us too lazy/busy/hesitant to try rooting our Nooks on our own.

I like that you can boot the Nook OS or the Android OS from the get go. I like all the support available, as well.

Let me know if you have any questions!
Am I mistaken. It seems to be only for the Nook Color, not for the STR.
ascherjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:03 AM   #3
paulak39
Connoisseur
paulak39 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.paulak39 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.paulak39 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.paulak39 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: IpadAir; IpadMini2; FireHDX8.9; Kindle Voyage
I bought one of those cards, too, and am very pleased with it. I know many say it's easy to do it yourself, but I tried and wasn't able to get through all the instructions. For those who can do it themselves, you do save money. And, yes, it is only for the Nook Color.
paulak39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:09 PM   #4
linux_author
Connoisseur
linux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Nook Touch, N800
IMHO overpriced - especially for cost of media...

also may be in copyright violation of the GNU General Public License due to commercial selling of the software with non-availability of source code for the distribution's kernel or other applications not being made available via the seller's web site (could not find a link)

please see:

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

(this is why B&N includes license info and links to various pieces of its readers' software on its web; check the 'Legal' or 'License' item under your reader's settings menu)

Last edited by linux_author; 07-31-2011 at 12:12 PM.
linux_author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:36 PM   #5
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by linux_author View Post
IMHO overpriced - especially for cost of media...
Prices on the 8GB and 16GB sizes are fair enough, but I'd like to hear his rationale for charging twice as much to perform the same fixed process on a 32GB card.

When he started getting press, he caught a lot of flak for presenting the cards as a product, with no mention of the fact that he's using freely available, volunteer-built software installed according to freely-available, volunteer-devised instructions, and what he's offering is really 3rd-party installation and tech support. He has since added general acknowledgments to his site, but he's still pricing on a sort of bizarro retailer model, where he treats the retail cost of the cards as wholesale and marks it up by a percentage, rather than charging a fixed labor cost.

It seems like he's trying to be halfway-legit in his operation, but as you said, he may well run afoul of not only GPL licenses, but Google's terms for the Market and gapps.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:56 PM   #6
ManMountain
Mgr. Uncle John's Outpost
ManMountain began at the beginning.

Device: Color Nook
Did he also choose the collection of free apps for the chip? Where do I gat the freely available software to make my own 32G chip, dual boot.
ManMountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:12 AM   #7
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
Why buy, when you can do it for free. The process is well-documented and you get to learn something.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:37 PM   #8
paulak39
Connoisseur
paulak39 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.paulak39 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.paulak39 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.paulak39 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: IpadAir; IpadMini2; FireHDX8.9; Kindle Voyage
I tried doing it myself, and ran into problems trying to unzip a file. My computer froze, something which didn't happen when it was new (it's now 5 years old). Maybe it's the pc, maybe it's me (I'm not too new either), but I finally bought a ready to install card. I'm happy with it, but I'm sure it's more satisfying to prepare your own card. Of course, it's not free either, since cards cost something, too.
paulak39 is offline   Reply With Quote