Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 11-08-2020, 09:22 PM   #1
G2B
Enthusiast
G2B began at the beginning.

Device: PC / iPad
Spell-checker upgrade?

I have used the built-in spell-checker in the Calibre editor, but it seems to be VERY limited in vocabulary. I often get lists of 1000s 'errors' — most of those only once or twice — which are simply words that are not included in the built-in dictionary. Many of those are verb contraction combined with another word. ['d 'll 're etc.] The spell-checker seems unable to figure out that those are really 2 viable words an an acceptable combination.

I often avoid using the spell-checker because I could spend hours and hours clicking on 'add this word to default dictionary' and then lose it all again if/when my computer crashes.

Is there any way to upgrade that default word listing to a really extensive dictionary (not for explanation of word meaning, but simply spell-check.) Please explain it in simple language, like pointing me to a file or plug-in and giving a step-by-step instruction to get it installed into the Calibre editor.

I've tried to search the forums, but translation dictionaries drown out everything else in the results I get.
TIA.
G2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 11:12 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/edi...w-dictionaries
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 12:21 AM   #3
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I believe that the link in the manual ...

Quote:
You can download these dictionaries from The LibreOffice Extensions repository.
is changed and should be

https://extensions.libreoffice.org/?Tags%5B%5D=50
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:30 PM   #4
G2B
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Thank you for the comment.
I've checked the manual, saw that and tried that before I asked in this forum.
That link to the The LibreOffice Extensions repository is no longer valid, comes up as 'page not found'

UPDATE after I read the 2nd response with updated link.
I did download an English dictionary as .otx file that installed correctly in OpenOffice..
I did figure out to get to the 'manage dictionaries' button.
When I click on it, it gives an error message. I copied details below for your review.

calibre, version 5.4.2
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>TypeError</b>:'<' not supported between instances of 'str' and 'NoneType'

calibre 5.4.2 [64bit] embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Windows-10-10.0.19041 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '10', '10.0.19041')
Python 3.8.5
Windows: ('10', '10.0.19041', '', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: BOL_NL (4, 5, 0) && Clean Metadata (0, 0, 6) && EpubMerge (2, 11, 0) && EpubSplit (3, 0, 0) && Goodreads (1, 5, 1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\tweak_book\preferences.py", line 246, in manage_dictionaries
File "calibre\gui2\tweak_book\spell.py", line 414, in __init__
File "calibre\gui2\tweak_book\widgets.py", line 47, in __init__
File "calibre\gui2\widgets2.py", line 185, in __init__
File "calibre\gui2\tweak_book\spell.py", line 447, in setup_ui
File "calibre\gui2\tweak_book\spell.py", line 505, in build_dictionaries
TypeError: '<' not supported between instances of 'str' and 'NoneType'

Last edited by G2B; 11-10-2020 at 12:00 AM.
Old 11-09-2020, 11:44 PM   #5
G2B
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
I believe that the link in the manual ...

is changed and should be

https://extensions.libreoffice.org/?Tags%5B%5D=50
That is indeed correct. And thank you for that.
Your link did work. I wasn't able to find this from the home page.

I downloaded the 'English dictionary and it did install itself in OpenOffice no problem. I'll try to figure out how to get it in Calibre.
Old 11-10-2020, 02:34 AM   #6
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
An .oxt dictionary is actually a zip folder.
Once open, you will find the dictionaries you need, which in this case are .aff and .dic.
Once these files have been extracted, they must now be copied to the folder dic????? which is in C:\User\????\AppData\Roaming\calibre\dictionaries\

And that's it.

Last edited by jbacelar; 11-10-2020 at 02:36 AM.
jbacelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 04:20 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbacelar View Post
An .oxt dictionary is actually a zip folder.
Once open, you will find the dictionaries you need, which in this case are .aff and .dic.
Once these files have been extracted, they must now be copied to the folder dic????? which is in C:\User\????\AppData\Roaming\calibre\dictionaries\

And that's it.
Something is broken in version 5. when I click on Manage Dictionaries I get:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-11-10 201218.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	252.3 KB
ID:	183307

Spoiler:
calibre, version 5.4.2
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>TypeError</b>:'<' not supported between instances of 'str' and 'NoneType'
calibre 5.4.2 [64bit] embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Windows-10-10.0.19041 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '10', '10.0.19041')
Python 3.8.5
Windows: ('10', '10.0.19041', '', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: CalibreSpy (1, 0, 82) && Count Pages (1, 11, 0) && Diaps Editing Toolbag (0, 3, 7) && Drop Search Results (1, 0, 10) && EpubSplit (3, 0, 0) && Extract ISBN (1, 5, 0) && Favourites Menu (1, 0, 5) && Find Duplicates (1, 8, 3) && GetFileName (0, 1, 0) && Job Spy (1, 0, 188) && Modify ePub (1, 6, 1) && Quality Check (1, 10, 1) && Reading List (1, 7, 0) && Resize Cover (1, 1, 0) && User Category (1, 5, 5) && View Manager (1, 6, 0)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\tweak_book\preferences.py", line 246, in manage_dictionaries
File "calibre\gui2\tweak_book\spell.py", line 414, in __init__
File "calibre\gui2\tweak_book\widgets.py", line 47, in __init__
File "calibre\gui2\widgets2.py", line 185, in __init__
File "calibre\gui2\tweak_book\spell.py", line 447, in setup_ui
File "calibre\gui2\tweak_book\spell.py", line 505, in build_dictionaries
TypeError: '<' not supported between instances of 'str' and 'NoneType'

When I click on on Manage Dictionaries in version 4 I get:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-11-10 200858.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	183308

The calibre editor has always done the extract from the OXT

IIRC Sigil requires it be unpacked to install the .dic and .aff files.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 06:12 AM   #8
georgemk
Addict
georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Nia
Kovid has put a fix into Github for this 4 days ago

Quote:
Edit book: Fix regression in calibre 5 that caused an error when managing user dictionaries. Fixes #1903294 [Preferences / Editor settings / Manage spelling dictionaries throws exception](https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1903294)
georgemk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 04:14 AM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgemk View Post
Kovid has put a fix into Github for this 4 days ago

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
editor, spell-checker