Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-16-2018, 11:05 PM   #1
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
Talking Glowlight Plus and Calibre

I have been having issues on and off with the Nook Glowlight Plus and Calibre. Have even had issues just plugging it into my computer and just trying to drag books onto it.

This is definitely nook firmware related, since, prior to a distant software update, it worked flawlessly 100% of the time. I actually returned it under warranty to B&N sometime last year and they gave me a new one. The new one worked great, until I did a software update. Then it once again would not let me sideload stuff.

Well, today I found a fix. I can get it to work 100% of the time with Calibre on Windows and Linux, as well as Windows Explorer and Dolphin, as long as I plug the device into a POWERED USB hub that's connected to the computer I want to use.

Just thought I would share in case anyone else is having this issue.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:23 AM   #2
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Do you think that's somehow related to the device charging?
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2018, 08:33 AM   #3
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Do you think that's somehow related to the device charging?
I think it has to be. I'm debating whether it's worth the hassle to report it to Barnes and Noble or not.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:33 AM   #4
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
I think it has to be. I'm debating whether it's worth the hassle to report it to Barnes and Noble or not.
In my experience B&N has zero interest in side-loading. Doesn't make them any money, so they won't support it.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:42 AM   #5
apastuszak
Evangelist

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
In my experience B&N has zero interest in side-loading. Doesn't make them any money, so they won't support it.
I agree. I reported this problem earlier and they showed zero interest in it. Just sent me a new unit, which had the same problem.
Advert
Old 08-17-2018, 04:00 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Just thought I would share in case anyone else is having this issue.
That's good to know. It seems like powered USB ports often fix problems connecting computers to devices.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:16 PM   #7
tas03
Zealot
tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.tas03 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Device: Nook Glowlight +, Nook Tab. , Nook Simple Touch, iPad Air, iPhone 6Se
I agree about them having no interest in side-loading. Customer service told me side-loading was not possible on my Glowlight Plus when I had a problem, even though I had successfully side-loaded most of what I wanted to and the manual had the steps for side-loading in it.
tas03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:49 PM   #8
apastuszak
Evangelist

A side note here. Not sure what is going on.

Bought my wife a Glowlight 3 for her birthday today. THANK GOD, the Glowlight 3 did away with MTP and now the Glowlight 3 is treated as removable storage. That's going to make sideloading a LOT easier.

Anyway.... when I used the supplied MicroUSB cable for the Glowlight 3 with the Glowlight Plus, it connected and Calibre could see it and copy books. I would still recommend a powered hub. I've had it work before and then stop working the next time I plug it in.

But just odd. It's like the Glowlight Plus was saying "Please don't replace me! I'll be good. See, I'm working now!"
Old 08-21-2018, 03:25 PM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
But just odd. It's like the Glowlight Plus was saying "Please don't replace me! I'll be good. See, I'm working now!"
The Glowlight situation is so frustrating. I really like the hardware. But the software, which was always second rate when compared to Kobo, is so buggy and given B&N's woes is unlikely to be fixed.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 04:30 PM   #10
apastuszak
Evangelist

The software on the Glowlight 3 finally dumped the MTP protocol and now just mounts as a storage device. Thank God for that small change!
Old 08-21-2018, 09:20 PM   #11
Xen
Connoisseur
Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle

Last edited by Xen; 08-22-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote