Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-24-2014, 11:46 PM   #1
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Instructions for patching firmware 3.2.0

These instructions are for Windows only.

Before starting, make sure that you are on firmware 3.2.0 (d0a9bf18ea) as shown under Software version in Device Information in Settings.

1. Download mz_koboreaderpatch_12.exe (self-extracting archive) from http://rghost.net/53295702. This version works out of the box with 3.2.0. Extract the files to a convenient directory.

2. You can either start with the included kpg.conf file in the koboreader patch archive or start with the one attached to this message.

Update: 2014-Feb-26 kpg.conf file updated to GeoffR's latest and greatest including advanced font control patch

3. The correct libnickel file for 3.2.0 is now in the v12 patcher archive.

5. Run patchgen.cmd from the kpg_conf_320.zip attached to this message, wait for it to finish and hit any key to close the window. I chose this method to allow me to see if there are any error messages without having to run kpg.exe from a command prompt.

6. Copy the KoboRoot.tgz file generated to your Kobo ereader in the .kobo directory, safely disconnect it from your computer and wait for the update to install.

Regards,
David
Attached Files
File Type: zip kpg_conf_320.zip (2.6 KB, 1198 views)

Last edited by DNSB; 04-04-2014 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Changed patcher link to v12
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:22 AM   #2
norbusan
Zealot
norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, Kobo GloHD
Thanks, great. The hunt for other locations is open ;-)
norbusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2014, 05:55 AM   #3
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Attached are kpg.conf (for kpg.exe/Windows) and patch32lsb.conf (for patch32lsb/Linux).

I have included all the patches I know of except for byblo's patches to force the use of user selected font and line spacing for epubs.

Edit: Automatic method added.

Instructions for patching from Linux

Before starting:

Make sure your Kobo ereader is running firmware version 3.2.0 (d0a9bf18ea). These patches work only for this specific firmware version and no other.

Automatic method:

Download make_patch_3_2_0.zip, extract, edit patch32lsb.conf to suit your preferences and device, run make, and copy the resulting KoboRoot.tgz to the .kobo directory of your device. See the enclosed README.txt for more detailed instructions. You will need to install make if your system doesn't come with it.

Manual method:

1. Download patch32lsb-v0.6.zip, extract patch32lsb.c, and compile with the following command (there should be no errors or warnings):
gcc -Wall -o patch32lsb patch32lsb.c

2. Download kobo-update-3.2.0.zip from http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...date-3.2.0.zip. Inside kobo-update-3.2.0.zip is a tar archive KoboRoot.tgz. Inside KoboRoot.tgz is a file usr/local/Kobo/libnickel.so.1.0.0. Extract libnickel.so.1.0.0 only (ignore the other files). You can use the following command to do this:
unzip -p kobo-update-3.2.0.zip KoboRoot.tgz | tar xz --strip-components=4 ./usr/local/Kobo/libnickel.so.1.0.0

3. Download patch32lsb_conf_3_2_0.zip attached and extract patch32lsb.conf.

4. Edit patch32lsb.conf to: enable the patches you want (set patch_enable = `yes`) and disable the patches you don't want (set patch_enable = `no`); change the replacement values for the patches to suit your preferences.

5. Put patch32lsb, libnickel.so.1.0.0, and patch32lsb.conf together in the current directory and run the following commands:
mkdir -p usr/local/Kobo
./patch32lsb -p patch32lsb.conf -i libnickel.so.1.0.0 -o usr/local/Kobo/libnickel.so.1.0.0
tar czf KoboRoot.tgz ./usr/local/Kobo/libnickel.so.1.0.0

6. If there are no problems then a file KoboRoot.tgz will be created. Copy this file to the .kobo directory on your ereader. Safely eject then unplug the ereader. Once unplugged the ereader will update and restart.
Attached Files
File Type: zip kpg_conf_3_2_0.zip (2.5 KB, 753 views)
File Type: zip patch32lsb_conf_3_2_0.zip (2.5 KB, 684 views)

Last edited by GeoffR; 03-08-2014 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Added automatic method
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:44 AM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
The code for the font controller has changed, I guess because of the change from seperate sliders for weight/sharpness to a combined slider, and I can't figure out how to adapt the patch to the new code. I will have another look at it later, but it might take Metazoa or someone who can trace the programs execution to work out a new patch for this.
Thanks for trying, Geoff I think I'll hold off updating for a while.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:18 AM   #5
unoprata
unoprata is a glorious beacon of lightunoprata is a glorious beacon of lightunoprata is a glorious beacon of lightunoprata is a glorious beacon of lightunoprata is a glorious beacon of lightunoprata is a glorious beacon of lightunoprata is a glorious beacon of lightunoprata is a glorious beacon of lightunoprata is a glorious beacon of lightunoprata is a glorious beacon of lightunoprata is a glorious beacon of light

It's working like a charm here!
unoprata is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2014, 02:25 PM   #6
jaredj
jaredj began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Where can I find what patches are included and what they do? And also if this can be installed on KST wit 3.2.0 firmware?
Thanks.
jaredj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:14 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Look at the config file and you will see what patches are in it.

You have to look in any case as you have to configure which patches YOU want.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:22 AM   #8
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Advanced font control patch

I found how to adapt the advanced font control patch to the new font controller code, so I've updated the .conf files attached to post #3 to include this patch too.

I've tested it on my Glo, but I don't normally use this patch, if someone who knows how it works could test it to check that it works the same way it did in previous firmware versions that would be good.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:43 AM   #9
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I will try it in a couple of hours when I get home. Thanks for persevering
Old 02-26-2014, 08:50 AM   #10
Caramon77
Enthusiast
Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Caramon77 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

I tested and it works!
Caramon77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:36 AM   #11
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I found how to adapt the advanced font control patch to the new font controller code, so I've updated the .conf files attached to post #3 to include this patch too.

I've tested it on my Glo, but I don't normally use this patch, if someone who knows how it works could test it to check that it works the same way it did in previous firmware versions that would be good.
Tested on an AuraHD. I tried a few sideloaded fonts at random at weight settings from min. to max. plus a few in-between positions. All seems OK to me. I'll post here if anything unusual crops up after further use.

Again, many thanks
Old 02-26-2014, 01:18 PM   #12
takitano
takitano began at the beginning.

Device: No
It works!

Last edited by takitano; 02-26-2014 at 02:06 PM. Reason: False info
takitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:33 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by takitano View Post
Kobo Aura HD with Patch for 3.1.1. Don't worked. By Update crash!!!
Huh... You HAVE to use the 3.2.0 patch NOT the 3.1.1 one
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:05 PM   #14
takitano
takitano began at the beginning.

Device: No
I#m stupide. Sorry. Yes, it works great!
takitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:21 PM   #15
bertuco
bertuco began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura hd
Hi GeoffR and DNSB, many thanks for the patch. Could you make a patch for Aura Hd with one more line in the top without loosing the name of the book you're reading? It would be great. Many Thanks in advance.
bertuco is offline   Reply With Quote