Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 04:45 PM   #1
tinytiggz
tinytiggz began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Question There are so many e readers, which one should I get!

Hello,

I have a specific requirement and I can't figure out which one would be best to purchase

I do like to download ebooks (shh!) and would like an e reader (preferably a paper style one but i don't know if those read anything other than .epub or .mobi and they have to be bought) that can properly read downloaded files (.lit, .epub, .mobi and more).

Would anyone know of the best e reader that can read all downloaded ebooks? I am using an iphone right now but its so small and I read a lot so I would love to invest in a good black and white paper e reader, but I do not think those read multiple formats. Would it have to be another electronic one? Do the paper styled ones only allow purchased books?

I would love any knowledge that you have

Thanks
Old 01-17-2014, 05:16 PM   #2
Quelch
Groupie
Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch and iPad 4 hers, Samsung Galaxy S 8.4 mine !
Welcome to MobileRead

I get my eBooks from various sources similar to you and I've used various eReaders
Nook (now sold) epub (the wife's) and Nexus 7
We also recently purchased an iPad for my wife

Of all these devices I use the Nexus 7 for all my eBooks, I like ot be able to do what I want without restrictions and find the Nexus 7 is the most flexible

On the Nexus I have the Aldiko eReader app, FBReader, Mantano Reader Premium, Moon+ Reader Pro and Kindle

The new model Nexus 7 has an excellent screen, my Nexus is last years and still ideal as an eReader

I definitely recommend the Nexus or similar tablet as an unrestricted eReader despite more frequent recharging requirement

Hope this will help your decision process
Advert
Old 01-17-2014, 05:36 PM   #3
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
well, a I have a Kindle Paperwhite and I can't recommend it enough. a fine eInk reader that can be read under the sun or even at total darkness. Yes, it reads downloaded books in .mobi format. You can send them to the machine in a variety of ways, like USB, email or even downloading from within its builtin web browser.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:20 PM   #4
mws
eBook/gadget junkie
mws began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD /Simple Touch w/Glowlight
I would also recommend a Nexus 7 or some such device for your needs. As for the .lit format, that is a proprietary Microsoft format, and the only supported software that I know will read it comes from Microsoft (Windows only at this point).
If you have a lot of books, be aware that the Nexus 7 does not have an sdcard slot. That is one reason I went with the Nook HD instead of the Nexus.

--
Mike
Old 01-17-2014, 06:34 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
All ebooks can be read on any device you wish to read them on (assuming there is no DRM, or you remove it). All it takes is downloading calibre to convert them.

All e-ink readers allow you to sideload books -- although beware, recent Nooks only give you a tiny bit of memory for that!
Advert
Old 01-17-2014, 07:35 PM   #6
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
My personal preference is for e-readers that have an e-ink screen, a touch screen (much easier to look a word up in the dictionary), and are lit. I love my Nook Glowlight, but eschwartz is right that only a quarter (I think) of the memory is available for sideloaded books. But I also love my Kindle Paperwhite, and Amazon has much better customer service than Barnes and Noble anyway.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:13 PM   #7
tinytiggz
tinytiggz began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Thanks so much for all the replies, will definitely look into the ones suggested
Old 01-18-2014, 06:23 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice
We will not permit these forums to be used to support piracy. Thread closed.
Closed Thread

Tags
download, downloaded ebooks, e-reader, iphone, kindle fire