Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-13-2018, 12:41 AM   #32521
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Four books read since I got my reading glasses. I can read faster now I don't have to focus on making out the words because they are not crisp. I realize I probably needed reading glasses years ago. Best $7 I ever spent. I'm reading on my Kobo Glo HD again.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
The reading vision change was probably gradual so you adjusted to it for a while until it got too bad.

RE what you posted earlier about cooking - I'm not much of a cook, but I have found my computer glasses are good for seeing things on the kitchen counters or stovetop. If only I could blame my poor cooking skills on my vision.....
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:44 AM   #32522
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trichobezoar View Post
An acquaintance just threw me under the bus--he recommended that I be the assistant Vice President of the Women's Student Veterans of UNM! I better get my shit together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trichobezoar View Post
My acquaintance with an emotional IQ of a spatula proposed to me
Where are you meeting these wonderful acquaintances? Maybe you need to find different places to hang out
Old 10-13-2018, 04:44 AM   #32523
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
The reading vision change was probably gradual so you adjusted to it for a while until it got too bad.

RE what you posted earlier about cooking - I'm not much of a cook, but I have found my computer glasses are good for seeing things on the kitchen counters or stovetop. If only I could blame my poor cooking skills on my vision.....
Oh, but you can. Don't you ever mix up salt and sugar, or olive oil with brown vinegar, or oatmeal with bread-crumbs? There you go.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 06:20 PM   #32524
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Oh, but you can. Don't you ever mix up salt and sugar, or olive oil with brown vinegar, or oatmeal with bread-crumbs? There you go.
Don't have those problems.... my mistakes are usually things like under- or over-cooking food. I don't have much interest in food & cooking so I try to get by with minimum effort and it doesn't always turn out well....
Old 10-14-2018, 05:41 PM   #32525
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
The incompetence of other people is really getting to me, seriously. Sometimes I wonder how some people can be alive without hurting themselves.

I've (finally) moved to a different condo and city, and my mom wanted to come and clean the place "because then I know it'll be done right." Fine... in the process, she burns my induction water heater by not putting it onto its plate properly. (It was only partway on the plate, slanted on the small round 'pole' it needs to slide over, so the switch that normally turns it off after water was heated never turned off.) So the darned thing melted a hole in the bottom. I've not been living here for a single day and the place almost burns down as soon as I turn my back on someone.

So today I go into the city to buy a new water heater. Same model. Seems to be on sale too. It's not in the rack anymore, so I ask if they still have it. The 17-ish year old store employee goes and looks, and returns with one of the heaters. €7.

I ask her: "That's very cheap, even if it's on sale. That would be nearly 75% off. Is this the induction version?" (I _KNOW_ there is one without an induction plate, with fixed cable.) She takes a look at the box and says: "Yes sir, the one with the plate. Right. That's the one."

OK, so I pay, go home, put the box on the counter, and go out again to get groceries. I return, put the groceries onto the counter, and go out again to get some more stuff I'll need.

When I get back, my mom has cooked a simple dinner. Fine... not.

Now I'm doing the washing up, and she's used basically three-quarters of whatever is in the kitchen! I've been washing up for over 1.5 hours! G***F***D****

Finally done I'm going to make a cup of tea, and discover... *OBVIOUSLY, I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BECAUSE I DIDN'T CHECK IT AND UNPACK THE *** THING MYSELF IN THE STORE* that the water heater is the one with the fixed cable, and in her "this house has to be squeaky clean even when people are working in it" cleaning mania has already torn up and thrown away the packaging.

I'm slowly remembering why I've been doing basically everything alone and with the least amount of "help" I'm able to manage for the last 15 years.

I'm glad when when my GF returns from the volunteer job she's doing right now (she returned twice in the last three weeks to help move everything), so I'll have someone around who either...

- asks "Can I help with something?" and then does exactly what she's told without trying to "improvise" or "improve";
- or stands still for half a minute, thinks about what's needed, asks advice if required, and then makes a decision and proceeds to do one task at once, and do it correctly.

Some people, and especially my mother, seem to be forgetting that this a place where me and my GF are going to live, so crap's gonna be done the way we like it, and that means: in order, slowly, and without improvisation (even if I have to replace stuff).

I feel like Hitch today, so...

Last edited by Katsunami; 10-14-2018 at 05:45 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:05 PM   #32526
trichobezoar
Riding Against the Wind
trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 10.1 & Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Where are you meeting these wonderful acquaintances? Maybe you need to find different places to hang out
Agreed. It's the same person! lol Incidently, he asked me to move in with him (as a friend). I don't know if I should... If our relationship was actually reciprical emotionally--if he listened half as well as he speaks, we'd have a decent friendship. I've called him "Wally" a few times--talking to him (more often than not) is like talking to a wall.

One day I'll tell him he has the emotional IQ of a spatula.

Anyroad, I kind of sort of fixed my computer. I have two laptops that are the same make and model. One had an 125gb SSD and worked well enough (except for the Wifi--it was spotty). I replaced the SSD with the 750gb hard drive (that was installed on the malfunctioning laptop) and it's working well... Just wish I didn't have to sacrifice the one laptop. Hopefully it could be fixed. I'll probably have to reinstall an operating system... Possibly have to buy another hard drive. If anyone could fix it, I could.

Today's been an emotional roller coaster ride. This whole weekend has.
trichobezoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:26 PM   #32527
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
OUCH! My wife and I both threw out our backs today, she doesn't really know what she did but it was while with the kindergardners she teaches. I reached for the towel next to the sink after doing dishes and must have turned just right.

This could be an interesting week. Two-year olds and thrown out backs don't mix.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:43 PM   #32528
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
OMG I accidentally reset my Oasis instead of restart no I have to redownload everything UGHHH
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:13 PM   #32529
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
My mother loves to hoard glass; empty jars and bottles. She saves up a huge load and then my father would have to almost literally break his back carrying several filled storage cases down two stairs to take to the council's recycling station. And this whilst there is both a nearby glass recycling bin and one near the supermarket my parents went to once a week.

Since the start of the year my parents have their groceries delivered, so my father doesn't regularly ask about the glass. Last week I went into the upstairs front room ("storage" aka junk room) to get something and saw four filled storage cases plus another storage case worth of glass on the floor.

I discussed it with my father and neither of us feels like carrying all of it downstairs in one go. So I'm now going to go to the nearby recycle bin with a bag of glass twice a week, until everything is thrown away. After that we'll put a bag somewhere for my mother to fill up, somewhere where I can keep an eye on it, if it's full enough I can go to the bins. We've tried this before and it didn't work, but if that happens again I give up, then my father has to keep an eye on it.

My mother doesn't know that we've decided on this. She will tomorrow, when I bring the first filled bag downstairs. I wouldn't be surprised if she somehow blames it on me.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:33 PM   #32530
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
My mother loves to hoard glass; empty jars and bottles. She saves up a huge load and then my father would have to almost literally break his back carrying several filled storage cases down two stairs to take to the council's recycling station. And this whilst there is both a nearby glass recycling bin and one near the supermarket my parents went to once a week.
<snippage>

My mother doesn't know that we've decided on this. She will tomorrow, when I bring the first filled bag downstairs. I wouldn't be surprised if she somehow blames it on me.
You guys need a Trash Compactor! Not to mention, it's fun to listen to it mashing the hell out of all that glass, LOL. I don't think that theyr'e in style anymore, but they were great for condensing trash when we lived in the boonies.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 05:07 PM   #32531
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
But then you still have a heavy cube of trash, that you have to carry somewhere!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 05:28 PM   #32532
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
You guys need a Trash Compactor! Not to mention, it's fun to listen to it mashing the hell out of all that glass, LOL. I don't think that theyr'e in style anymore, but they were great for condensing trash when we lived in the boonies.

Hitch
I never knew you had those for in residential houses.

I must say I enjoy throwing glass in the recycle bin, especially when the bin has recently been emptied.

Another rant: tomorrow I'm going to get my first flu shot/jab, and of course I woke up with a sore throat this morning. Which is usually the start of a cold. I checked online and it's okay to get the shot when you're having a cold, as long as you don't have a fever. I'm trying to stop my sore throat from getting a full blown cold. However, I'd rather get sick now than in a month when I go on vacation.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:14 PM   #32533
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I never knew you had those for in residential houses.

I must say I enjoy throwing glass in the recycle bin, especially when the bin has recently been emptied.

Another rant: tomorrow I'm going to get my first flu shot/jab, and of course I woke up with a sore throat this morning. Which is usually the start of a cold. I checked online and it's okay to get the shot when you're having a cold, as long as you don't have a fever. I'm trying to stop my sore throat from getting a full blown cold. However, I'd rather get sick now than in a month when I go on vacation.
Yup, my mother had one back in, gosh, 1971-2? My MIL had one for ages, in the house she had, before she passed; that had to be...hmmmmm...about 20 years ago now. I haven't seen compactors installed routinely in a while. My sister-in-law has two of them, in her kitchen--it's a very, very large home and her kitchen is designed for entertaining (two dishwashers, two ovens/ranges, a massively huge fridge/freezer combo and two compactors, amongst other things).

But for the rest of us, I haven't seen compactors installed in a while. BadGood is right, it does make for a quite-heavy square of trash!

I'm sorry your throat is sore. (I'm supposed to go someplace tomorrow, and it's raining like hell. There's a chance that I'll get rained in...)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:12 PM   #32534
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

I'm sorry your throat is sore. (I'm supposed to go someplace tomorrow, and it's raining like hell. There's a chance that I'll get rained in...)

Hitch
Thanks, my hoping didn't work, I just woke up drenched in sweat. Luckily there's a second flu shot session in two week's time, so I'll have to wait.

Good luck with the rain, in the Netherlands there's still a shortage and it's too dry.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:11 AM   #32535
John K
Reader
John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Yup, my mother had one back in, gosh, 1971-2? My MIL had one for ages, in the house she had, before she passed; that had to be...hmmmmm...about 20 years ago now. I haven't seen compactors installed routinely in a while. My sister-in-law has two of them, in her kitchen--it's a very, very large home and her kitchen is designed for entertaining (two dishwashers, two ovens/ranges, a massively huge fridge/freezer combo and two compactors, amongst other things).

But for the rest of us, I haven't seen compactors installed in a while. BadGood is right, it does make for a quite-heavy square of trash!

Hitch
I've had them in the past. A couple of months ago I was thinking about including one in an upcoming remodel. At over $1,000, I decided I'd just use my foot.
John K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness