Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-03-2018, 02:32 PM   #1
Melodiei9
Melodiei9 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 3
Nook Glowlight 3 USB, File structure, and other issues

I had trouble last week getting the Windows 8 computer to recognize the Nook, but through a series of reboots on both devices and lots of swearing and Googling, I worked that out. Then I created a PDF on my computer and move it to My Files when it was connected to USB. It was on there and everything was fine; I could read it and there were no problems.

Later, I used Adobe to move library books over. Figured it out after a few bumps, including overcoming the dreaded "there is a problem so I'm erasing all your USB-downloaded content" error. (Can I tell you how much I hate this thing for doing that?) I noticed something odd though when I did get it to connect and pop up. The file structure on the Nook that comes up when you first connect it via USB no longer has the My Files folder.

Okay...I figured out where else to put my PDFs so I can read them and went on my merry way.

After reading three books over the course of a week and a half on the Nook, the battery went dead. So last night, when I connected it and charged it, I discovered when it booted up that it had deleted all of my content without any notice. I no longer have any books of the library books on there. I just have the few books I've purchased a while ago. And a quick check of the file tree showed really odd symbols in there. I turned it off and rebooted and it returned to normal.

I went through the same gymnastaics this morning of getting my computer to recognize the Nook and moving the book back over from Adobe.

My questions are: 1, Why does it not have the My Files folder anymore? Is there a way I can restore that? 2. What happened to my books? I disabled the put stuff in the Cloud option in Settings because I know someone who could not access books without wifi. It seemed to be working fine. My needs are simple: Take my PDF and my library books and let me read them. Any help out there? I love the e-Ink because it doesn't burn my eyes out like the other tablets, but B&N is a royal pain when it comes to doing the one thing it's supposed to do.

I've even ordered a Kindle for the PDFs to see how that goes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nook capture screen.JPG
Views:	733
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	164278  
Melodiei9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 02:59 PM   #2
HeidiRF
HeidiRF began at the beginning.

Device: nook glowlight 3
Solution for the erased USB files?

Hi, I was wondering how you solved the erased USB files problem. This just happened to me and now my computer is asking me to insert a disk into the drive whenever I connect the nook. My purchased content and profile are still on the nook, but the computer isn't recognizing it at all, as if it's not formatted or something. Thanks.
HeidiRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert