Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-14-2008, 03:04 PM   #1
BeBook
BeBook began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
The BeBook e-reader sells 30.000th unit and supports Mobipocket DRM

From the launch of our eReader (electronic Book reader) last May, we're overwhelmed with great responses on our BeBook. We got a lot of media attention (even made national television in several countries).

Apart from being extremely “green”, e-reading has been praised as the future of reading. Because of it's crisp paperlike screen even book fanatics forget they're reading from a device instead of a 'good old fashioned' paper printed edition.

Some newspapers go as far as stating “it's the next big thing after the iPod, the BeBook is like an iPod for books.”

Value for money
Because the BeBook is open source and offers the widest variety of file formats (some even exclusively) supported by any reader, a lot of customers new to the eReaders chose our product, because of it's value for money: most formats, a complimentary leather case and thousands of books included.

The Internationale Funk Austellung (IFA) in Berlin.
Earlier this month we attended the IFA in Berlin, Europe's largest Consumer Electronics fair. We expected some nice attention, but we were literally flooded with journalists, resellers, distributors and of course consumers who wanted to see our product with their own eyes.

Many distributors were immediately convinced of the BeBook's potential, in the upcoming months the BeBook will be available from stores in many countries across Europe, we'll add and update a list of stores on our website shortly.

Time for a little celebration : 30.000 BeBooks sold.
Little over a week after the IFA we sold the 30.000th BeBook. Even our own forecasts never predicted this. Just when we were about to release a new much anticipated software update, we hit the 30.000 mark : B.E. Jones from Canberra (Australia) placed the order. Of course we added some complimentary accessories to his order.

New Update : MobiPocket support.
All new BeBooks shipped from today will have the Mobipocket update installed. This means BeBook owners now have access to virtually any new book released. The MobiPocket DRM (digital rights management/ copyright system) standard is used for most new book releases. The benefits of an ebook : No paper and ink used, no transport costs, which means the electronic version of a book is up to 70% cheaper tan the paper printed edition.

For existing BeBook users the update will be available as a free download from our website: www.mybebook.com.
BeBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 03:39 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Congratulations.... I hope the BeBook is a smashing success!

Question... does the Mobipocket support include dictionary lookup support also?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2008, 05:05 PM   #3
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
I went to the update page and I didn't see anything reference mobi support. The update version I saw was 1.27. Is the update available now? Thanks.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:53 PM   #4
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Nice to see advertisements on the front page as "news".
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:00 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I wouldn't call it an ad; press release would be a better description.

But the Mobipocket support is newsworthy. And so is the sales figure.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2008, 01:14 AM   #6
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
And as stated earlier, would be nice if the upgrade was downaloadable from their homepage already! I need my mobi-fix!
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:09 PM   #7
casimirocardoso
casimirocardoso began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook
I've had my Bebook for two months now and I love it to bits. It just keeps getting better and better. And, yes, I'm just a simple customer.
casimirocardoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:05 PM   #8
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Kind of interesting that the video they have on their site has the reviewers picking the SONY PRS-505 over the Iliad and BeBook.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:56 PM   #9
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
And as stated earlier, would be nice if the upgrade was downaloadable from their homepage already! I need my mobi-fix!
Did you look here?

(Click on FREE BEBOOK SOFTWARE UPDATE beneath the NEWS header on the right hand column.)
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:59 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Kind of interesting that the video they have on their site has the reviewers picking the SONY PRS-505 over the Iliad and BeBook.

=X=
I found that quite curious myself. I kept thinking "maybe you don't really want this on your front page".
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:03 PM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Did you look here?

(Click on FREE BEBOOK SOFTWARE UPDATE beneath the NEWS header on the right hand column.)
______
Dennis
The only one there is 1.27, which came out in July. You can find a link to it here on MobileRead as well.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:14 AM   #12
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I found that quite curious myself. I kept thinking "maybe you don't really want this on your front page".
Maybe because the main point why BeBook lost to others was that it didn't have any DRM supported format on it and they rectified the situation since then?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:52 AM   #13
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
This press release is total BS to me.

Quote:
Apart from being extremely “green”, e-reading has been praised as the future of reading.
How is it "extremely green"? It's an ongoing debate at Mobileread, and I would love to see your sources of research.

Quote:
Some newspapers go as far as stating “it's the next big thing after the iPod, the BeBook is like an iPod for books.”
Funny, I remember that analogy, but I always read it in the context of the Amazon Kindle or Sony Reader. Google doesn't help here either. How about telling us the names of these newspapers?

Quote:
Because the BeBook is open source...
Where can I download the open source code? Perhaps the GPL Violation homepage can help me out here.

Quote:
...it's value for money: most formats, a complimentary leather case and thousands of books included.
It's more expensive than the Amazon Kindle, and for that I get a complimentary leather case and thousands of books - ripped without further editing from Project Gutenberg? What a great deal indeed. You forgot to mention the ear phones and the USB cable.

Quote:
New Update : MobiPocket support... This means BeBook owners now have access to virtually any new book released.
Where is the promised update? Why make a press release if you know that you cannot deliver in time?

Anyways, if you want to get a better impression of the company behind BeBook (who, oh the irony, also produces and promotes covers for the Kindle), check out this interview video:

http://www.viddler.com/explore/Charbax/videos/34/
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:59 AM   #14
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
And regarding the 30'000 number...

We heard bullish rumors (TechCrunch) that Amazon sold around 240'000 Kindles within nine months (from early November 2007 to August 2008. That's ~ 26'000 Kindles a month.

BeBook claims to have sold 30'000 units within three months (from end of May to end of August (=beginning of IFA exhibit)). That's ~ 10'000 BeBooks a month.

I don't know, but something doesn't seem right here...
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:36 AM   #15
torbich
Zealot
torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 602, LBook V3
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
And regarding the 30'000 number...
I don't know, but something doesn't seem right here...
I agree with you.
LBook (Ukrainian and Russian analogue of BeBook) claims also about 30.000 sold, but since october 2007, and LBook can be easily found in many B&M stores as well as in internet ones. Besides, there is a huge community of LBook owners (the-ebook.org).
Apollo XXI also sells rebranded Hanlin V3, and there is Spanish-speaking community of its users.
If BeBook sold 30.000 units, two questions arose:
1) Do all this Books sold throw the main site?
2) Where is the huge community of BeBook users?
torbich is offline   Reply With Quote