Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-21-2017, 09:58 AM   #1
Einsam
Einsam began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD & Samsung Galaxy Nook
Question Conversion Question

I used Calibre v2.83 to convert a Kindle Book to epub. The file did not have DRM protection and seemed to convert fine. However, when I try to open the book on my Nook HD or Samsung Galaxy Nook, I get an error and the book will not open.

The book will load and open properly when using the Nook App on my PC.

Any ideas of why this is happening and how I can get the book to open on one of my Nook Tablets?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Einsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2017, 10:34 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Convert your book to MOBI, then convert the MOBI to EPUB. That will destroy any advanced formatting, but it might workaround whatever the problem with the tablet app is.

Or just use a better epub reading software on your tablet.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:48 PM   #3
Einsam

I tried converting to MOBI, but still have the same issue - No idea what the issue is, as all I get is an error message saying "Cannot open this file"

I don't think it is the ereader software, as it only happens occasionally - most books open without any issues.

Any other ideas?
Old 04-22-2017, 01:44 PM   #4
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Dell Venue 8 Pro - Retired:Kindle 3, Clie UX50, T415, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einsam View Post
I tried converting to MOBI, but still have the same issue - No idea what the issue is, as all I get is an error message saying "Cannot open this file"

I don't think it is the ereader software, as it only happens occasionally - most books open without any issues.

Any other ideas?
You've left out a lot of detail, some of which may be critical to finding a solution.

Conversion in calibre leaves the converted ebook in the calibre library on your computer. The reader software on your device(s) can only read ebooks that are stored on the device. Somehow, you are copying or moving the converted file to the device. Exactly how????????
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:40 PM   #5
Einsam

I use the USB cable to transfer the epub version from the computer to the Nook. I open the Nook on the computer through the USB cable, then do a copy and paste to the folder I created on the SD Card.

Most books open without any issue and only occasionally yield an error.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:10 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT,Galaxy Tab 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einsam View Post
I use the USB cable to transfer the epub version from the computer to the Nook. I open the Nook on the computer through the USB cable, then do a copy and paste to the folder I created on the SD Card.

Most books open without any issue and only occasionally yield an error.
That is not the (best) calibre way. (Calibre knows what format to send each device)
Connect the device.
Wait for calibre to recognize (and finish the scan). The job wheel in tk lower right will stop. (and you should now wee an OnDevice column.
(Multi)Select books. Use the Send to device Icon (or right-click menu).
Wait for the Job wheel to stop.
Select Eject form the Device Icon (small arrow or right click)
Unhook when the On Device column dispersal
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote