tom.ryan
tom.ryan began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura HD
Unhappy Can anyone send me the Aura HD factory image

My internal SD card is corrupt.
I have taken my kobo aura HD apart.
I Have extracted the internal SD card.
I am using windows
I have been using the instructions on this site about how to expand the memory of the reader.
I need a clean SD firmware image that is not corrupted (Not the zip file on the kobo site, but the actual SD IMAGE of the firmware)
Thanks a million for any help you can give me.
Tom
tom.ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:12 PM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Try here.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2015, 08:40 AM   #3
tom.ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Try here.

Luck;
Ken
thanks Ken for that link...lots on there..
Unfortunately the firmware images seem to be shared on here via private messages and I cant see any url to a Firmware image for the AURA HD on that link you sent.

Also I am not good with Linux and don't have Linux installed.

If I had an image of the SD I could continue with the instructions on how to expand memory on the Aura HD...
Old 08-17-2015, 08:54 AM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom.ryan View Post
thanks Ken for that link...lots on there..
Unfortunately the firmware images seem to be shared on here via private messages and I cant see any url to a Firmware image for the AURA HD on that link you sent.

Also I am not good with Linux and don't have Linux installed.

If I had an image of the SD I could continue with the instructions on how to expand memory on the Aura HD...
If you posted in that thread "Davidfor" is more likely to see it and send you the PM.

If you go to PeterT's sticky you should find the "Memory upgrade Mod (with pictures)" that has links to the Windows tools and the instructions are for doing the process in Windows.

Luck;
Ken
Old 08-17-2015, 11:34 AM   #5
tom.ryan

Thanks Ken. I have sent DavidFor a message asking him for a factory image file (.iso) file. The zip file is of no use to me as I am not skilled enough on Linux or windows to make a correctly formatted micro SD card from those files...If I get my hands on the .iso Aura HD image file I will be able to continure. For now I have my Aura HD disassembled a bit like C3P0 when he got dismantled
Thanks for giving me a good lead Ken...very much appreciated...
Advert
Old 08-17-2015, 01:15 PM   #6
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Download winzip utility. Install winzip on your windows computer. Then open a zip file with winzip to uncompress a file to have original files.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:25 PM   #7
tom.ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
Download winzip utility. Install winzip on your windows computer. Then open a zip file with winzip to uncompress a file to have original files.
Thank you filmo...

Do you think I can just unzip the files in the firmware "KoboRoot.tgz" file and copy them into the root of the windows formatted Micro SD card, then insert the micro SD back into the internals of the Kobo Aura HD?

I didn't think that wouldwork (based on reading posts from DavidFor)

I understood I need a .iso image of the firmware Aura HD and follow the instructions on this link ---> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=209122
Old 08-17-2015, 06:44 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
David will send you the link soon. He is in Australia so time zones DO apply.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:44 PM   #9
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Link in post 7 is how I installed image to larger uSD card on my mini. Also posted how I did it years ago. If you use larger uSD card it will be same size image as original untill it is exspanded to use unformated space on uSD card. None of this is hard if you can follow directions. Youtube video is big help. I pry open reader with guitar pick with reader face down on edge of table or counter to reduce chance of twisting screen. Skill not luck is all need to say after success.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:44 PM   #10
tom.ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Thanks Peter...
You have all been great here...was about to throw the aura out but I love it too much to not at least try...
thanks again
Tom
Old 08-17-2015, 09:18 PM   #11
tom.ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
thanks Peter...he already has...Ill post here to let you all know how it ended up...I may have been a bit rough prying off the outer screen
Old 08-17-2015, 09:20 PM   #12
tom.ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
Link in post 7 is how I installed image to larger uSD card on my mini. Also posted how I did it years ago. If you use larger uSD card it will be same size image as original untill it is exspanded to use unformated space on uSD card. None of this is hard if you can follow directions. Youtube video is big help. I pry open reader with guitar pick with reader face down on edge of table or counter to reduce chance of twisting screen. Skill not luck is all need to say after success.
Thanks again Filmo...and glad to hear your guitar skills can come in handy at the most unexpected times
Old 08-17-2015, 10:45 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Thanks again Filmo...and glad to hear your guitar skills can come in handy at the most unexpected times
Luckily it wasn't banjo skills or we would have to disown him
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:15 PM   #14
tom.ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Luckily it wasn't banjo skills or we would have to disown him
I think my kobo opening skills are even worse than his banjo skills...I managed to get the Kobo Aura HD software installed correctly (thank's DavidFor...I owe you a guinness), however when I put it all back together the top of the screen remains white...the bottom of the screen works perfectly and even the touch works on the top and bottom but I cant see what I am touching on the top...

I am starting to think that I broke something on disassembly/assembly....
Have repeated to disassembly/assembly process now 5 times and even restored the image twice...I may have damaged something I fear...

Any last suggestions before I gracefully bury my Kobo Aura?
Old 08-18-2015, 01:22 PM   #15
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
I think my kobo opening skills are even worse than his banjo skills...I managed to get the Kobo Aura HD software installed correctly (thank's DavidFor...I owe you a guinness), however when I put it all back together the top of the screen remains white...the bottom of the screen works perfectly and even the touch works on the top and bottom but I cant see what I am touching on the top...

I am starting to think that I broke something on disassembly/assembly....
Have repeated to disassembly/assembly process now 5 times and even restored the image twice...I may have damaged something I fear...

Any last suggestions before I gracefully bury my Kobo Aura?
Is the ribbon cable from the display to the back of the PCB all the way in the ZIF connector?

Luck;
Ken

The black bar with the holes lifts to release the ribbon cable, if I recall correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	046.JPG
Views:	606
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	141159  

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 08-18-2015 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Adding photo