Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-27-2014, 08:54 AM   #16
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Ruskie_it: Not without tweaking MRPI itself, no.

That said, if you're thinking of a specific dependency chain that isn't already respected by the script, I'm all ears.

Which reminds me, note to self: rp -> crp.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 09:09 AM   #17
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Well, I was thinking to the dependency python --> ss hack - which when I read is not mandatory 'cause first time it would have just been slower I verified to be respected on its own - but I didn't see mentioned that the installer is smart enough to recognize dependencies.
Which by the way I don't know how is possible, but you're the smart guy around here, not me!

(cp crp ??)
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2014, 09:13 AM   #18
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Ruskie_it: Then you don't have to worry about anything, that specific (python) dependency chain is handled properly .

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
• You can automatically chain multiple update packages (and it handles a basic dependency chain, prioritizing low-level stuff [jb, usbnet, python])

(Notice the "note to self"?, that, by design, implies that there's a good chance it won't make much sense to anyone but me ;p. FWIW: Rescue Pack -> Coward's Rescue Pack).
Old 11-27-2014, 09:19 AM   #19
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Ruskie_it: Then you don't have to worry about anything, that specific (python) dependency chain is handled properly .
Oh, didn't notice that, and I didn't think python was low level firstly because it's python: to me, it is high-level and second because it is in the userstore, so I have always thought of it more as an "application library" so to speak. However, thanks for the info!

Quote:
(Notice the "note to self"?, that, by design, implies that there's a good chance it won't make much sense to anyone but me ;p. FWIW: Rescue Pack -> Coward's Rescue Pack).
Lol, that's MEAN to all us curious out here!
Old 11-27-2014, 09:23 AM   #20
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Ruskie_it: You're completely right that the 'low-level' stuff hardly applies to Python here, bad wording on my part .
Advert
Old 11-27-2014, 09:56 AM   #21
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskie_it View Post
- - - - -
... because it is in the userstore, so I have always thought of it more as an "application library" so to speak.
Well, your over-exposure to Windows is showing.

Linux uses ELF libraries, and ELF libraries can be wherever the dynamic loader is told to look for them.

For an extreme example, see my "Hard Float on Kindle" thread -
Where the Amazon system libraries (in the normal system image places) and an additional set of HardFloat system libraries (in 'user storage') are run concurrently.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 10:01 AM   #22
Ruskie_it
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Well, your over-exposure to Windows is showing.

Linux uses ELF libraries, and ELF libraries can be wherever the dynamic loader is told to look for them.
No, what is showing is the fact I turned to be a system operator rather than a programmer. Nowadays I couldn't code a timer on windows cli...

Anyway, I didn't mean it wasn't technically possible (btw isn't like that with Windows too? Never programmed low level stuff in Win): I just meant it in the "neat stuff way of doing things" sense: if it's something low-level, keep it where the user does not have access / protected areas, and this more or less also applies to *nix afaik...
Old 11-27-2014, 10:04 AM   #23
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
I was mislead / misunderstood the background to your question.

Windows applications can (and often do) ship *.dll files that are installed in the application directory.
Their default dynamic loader search, searches the application directory first.

(Windows doesn't have a for-real sense of a 'set of reserved, system library tree' directories like *nix does.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 10:45 AM   #24
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskie_it View Post
Lol, that's MEAN to all us curious out here!
It is a sneaky plot to make you hang out here more that way you will recognize out of the way packages and also NiLuJe's Way.

See, now you're stuck here for ever and ever.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 10:54 AM   #25
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
....NiLuJe's Way....
Holy sh*t...NiLuJe has a 'Way' ('is that better than a plan?') Last I heard, NiLuJe only had a (*evil*) 'Laugh'?! Where have I been?
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 11:10 AM   #26
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
Holy sh*t...NiLuJe has a 'Way' ('is that better than a plan?') Last I heard, NiLuJe only had a (*evil*) 'Laugh'?! Where have I been?
Well, the Laugh is his, but the Way is communal property -- owned in group partnership with about 99% of programmers worldwide.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:49 AM   #27
Ruskie_it
Fanatic

Quote:
It is a sneaky plot to make you hang out here more that way you will recognize out of the way packages and also NiLuJe's Way.

See, now you're stuck here for ever and ever.
Hah, it was too much effort! He already had me at:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe
Don't have time to rehash the details, because there are quite a few, but while some of it survives the trip, I really, really urge anyone relying on custom code *NOT* to update until everything is golden for good.
Now if I am getting this right, thanks to JB 1.13.N, Kual 2.5 and mrinstaller 1.3.N, we might quite say we're golden (except we cannot easily downgrade), but as long as he does not confirm this, I'm stuck here waiting for the ok-go to apply this damn update! :P
GrrrrRRrrr... I wanna go back to just read on that thing!
Old 11-27-2014, 01:52 PM   #28
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Well, the latest JB now protects itself from being locked out, and includes a working "su" which KUAL scripts can rely on to escape the user "framework". Also, if you drop a script named emergency.sh into the root of the Kindle Drive it will be run, as root.

So fw5.6.1 no longer goes nuclear on our hacks.
That being said, it is not unreasonable to think some/all hacks need tweaking to run properly -- but they can now be installed.

We need more guinea pigs.
At least nothing catastrophic should happen to these ones. (Sorry, @pghaworth, for your now-less-than-completely-useful PW2. But it was for a noble cause. )
Old 11-27-2014, 03:10 PM   #29
Ruskie_it
Fanatic

Quote:
At least nothing catastrophic should happen to these ones. (Sorry, @pghaworth, for your now-less-than-completely-useful PW2. But it was for a noble cause. )
Lol, poor pghaworth... but I hear he managed to be able to use it, didn't he? His problem is only that it is now "immune" to jb... At least, he can still read with it!

And... I know you're trying to lead me into upgrade, but I'll still wait a while I think. :P
Old 11-27-2014, 04:27 PM   #30
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@GoSharks: You get extra points for that Serenity quote ^^.

Actually, we got @pghaworth's PW2 back up & running, because I'm sneaky like that . (It's on that same device that the multiple WIP iterations were run and tested ). No I'm just trying to figure out why the same trick hasn't completely taken on @GoShark's device... ^^.