Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 06:14 PM   #376
Lenneth
Lenneth began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura hd
Unhappy

I will try to be clear and quick - forgive me i am no english mother tongue.
  1. Kobo Aura HD - Frozen on library view no responding to touch, light not showing pressing light button. Left on charge overnight, to usb pc port.
  2. Tried to reset with paper clip - no dice. Led flashes once, display frozen, led turns off display stay still.
  3. Tried under linux lsusb - if led is off, nothing, if i make led flash with power slide shows
    Code:
    Bus 001 Device 012: ID 15a2:0052 Freescale Semiconductor, Inc. i.MX50 SystemOnChip in RecoveryMode
  4. Ripped open and taken micro sd - fdisk -l shows
    Code:
    Disk /dev/sdg: 3,7 GiB, 3965190144 bytes, 7744512 sectors
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    (in disk manager shows unknown partition - even gparted has no clue)
  5. Tried testdisk and fiddled with options - no partition found even with deeper slower scan

Can original sd image help this case? I tried my best - opened slowly following this ifixit guide. Checked around screen surface with jeweler lens under led light - no visible cracks or pits, all zif connectors solid, ribbon cables okay.

It froze suddenly, out of warranty, me sad.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:01 PM   #377
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
That sounds like there is a problem with the SD card. But, I'm also surprised the screen hasn't been blanked. I have sent a PM with the link to the image. Hopefully that will get it going.
Advert
Old 11-30-2018, 07:14 PM   #378
SSR
SSR began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO Aura HD
Hi All,

This is my first post here, so I would like to say a big thank you for all the information on this thread.

I have an Aura HD (mark4 ) and it is not strating. I oppened the case and I connected a serial port adapter.

The boot is stoping with:

Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0

MMC read: dev # 2, block # 2047, count 1 partition # 0 ...
1 blocks read: OK
no kernel image signature !

MMC read: dev # 2, block # 2048, count 8192 partition # 0 ...
8192 blocks read: OK
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 70800000 ...
Image Name: r6512_#1040 Mar 10 12:00:37
Created: 2015-03-10 4:00:39 UTC
Image Type: ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
Data Size: 1891780 Bytes = 1.8 MB
Load Address: 70008000
Entry Point: 70008000
Loading Kernel Image ... OK
OK

Starting kernel ...

Uncompressing Linux...

uncompression error

-- System halted

Looks like the image is corupted.

@Davidfor: Could you please help me with a restore image for this device?

Thanks in advance and best regards!
Old 12-01-2018, 01:42 AM   #379
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PM sent.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:30 PM   #380
SSR
SSR began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO Aura HD
Thank you David!!

KOBO is back! I replaced the broken screen with a china copy. Originally it had an ED068OG1 and I ordered ED068TG1 because the internet and chinese vendor reference was wrong. Thanks to David's image I debricked the Kobo and the screen start working but without touchscreen.

I made a factory reset and the touch screen is finally working!

Thanks again and good weekend to all!
Advert
Old 12-12-2018, 04:27 PM   #381
domileb
domileb began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Hello,
I am new to this forum too. The first thing I'd like to say is that I'm really impressed by the competence and helpfulness of the people here.

I bought my Aura HD in 2013 and it worked OK until very recently. One day, when I wanted to power up, the screen remained stuck at the booting stage (white screen, circulating squares). I tried to get out of this (power down, power up, paperclip resets ...). I eventually got the black, critical error screen suggesting a factory reset. I lauched the factory reset but it got into an endless loop of "restoring" episodes and attempted (but failed) boots. And no way to get out of this. In short, about the same things as other members describe in this thread.
After reading quite a few posts here, I came to the conclusion that I would probably have to change the internal SD card and copy a new firmware image on it.
Would Davidfor (I obviously noticed how helpful he is) be kind enough to send me a SD card image ?
Old 12-12-2018, 06:10 PM   #382
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:33 AM   #383
domileb

Thank you very much David for such a quick response.
Do you think a factory reset is needed once the reader is reassembled (... if, hopefully, it is back to life)?
Old 12-13-2018, 05:17 AM   #384
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Yes, I would suggest doing a factory reset once you have determined that it is actually working. It shouldn't be needed, but, starting from a clean device is probably a good idea.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:30 AM   #385
Julianito27
Julianito27 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD Mark 4
Kobo Aura HD Mark Restoring Loop

Hi everyone,

My Aura HD Mark 4 got into an endless restoring loop with no way to get out of it. I'm not the only one apparently, seeing the other posts in this thread.
So I opened up the device, got the internal sd card and now I'm desperately in need of a good image for the card.

If someone here can help me I will be forever thankul...

J27
Old 12-13-2018, 05:38 PM   #386
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:35 AM   #387
domileb

Everything went off well. My reader is reassembled and works perfectly.
Thank you very much indeed for your kind help!
Old 01-04-2019, 07:15 AM   #388
tg97
tg97 began at the beginning.

Hi All,

I have, like others in this thread, got a Kobo Aura HD which does not start. I was assuming it was bricked until I read that it could have a SD card inside and replace it. The current SD card is not readable anymore. Can anyone provide me a link to a working image to get it working again?

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2019, 06:47 PM   #389
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:18 AM   #390
peterg17
peterg17 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura 2
Hi,
I have managed to make the display on my kobo aura 2 (according to the xcsoar software) completely blanked white. I am trying to set it up as an instrument display and need to modify the software on it for this purpose. The little white light near the button operates intelligently but the screen is always blank. My linux pc notes a usb device when it is powered up, but no other communication.

Could I please have an sd card image to attempt to reset it. I did make a backup when I originally purchased it but the disk I stored it on failed.
Thanks in advance.
Closed Thread