Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Which one would you buy?
Onyx Kepler Pro 4 30.77%
Kobo Aura One 9 69.23%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-23-2016, 06:57 PM   #1
RamonR
RamonR began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Question Onyx Kepler Pro or Kobo Aura One?

Hello all,

Have been lurking these forums for quite a while. Since my old e-reader broke, I'm in the market for a new one. I'm coming from an Onyx i62HD. I read about one book per week, and mostly read epubs.

I'm sure I'll buy either the Onyx Kepler Pro or the Kobo Aura One. I know these are two very different e-readers, but I think these are the top two readers currently out (don't like the Kindle Oasis for that price).

I'm not sure if I really need the large screen of the Kobo. Only time I wished I had a bigger screen was when reading PDFs, but this is very incidental for me. However, in the past I also said that I don't need a larger phone screen, but now that I have a larger phone I actually love it. What are your experiences going up from a 6 inch reader to the Kobo Aura One?

Software, I personally like the Kobo software better. Seems more polished, plus I really like the reading statistics, lay-out and design from Kobo. I know that the Onyx has Android and can install different apps, but I'm not sure if this works well or not. I really disliked the software on the I62HD though.

Page buttons, my other Onyx reader had physical page buttons. I always used these. So this is where the Onyx Kepler definitely has the advantage IMO.

I can get the Onyx Kepler Pro for 198,00 Euro and the Kobo Aura One for 229,00 Euro. The price difference is too small to really be of importance though.

Other aspects I find important are build quality, quality of front light, screen quality and availability of good dictionaries.

Which one would you choose and why?
RamonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:10 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
As the Kepler doesn't exist yet, there is no choice.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 02:42 AM   #3
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
As the Kepler doesn't exist yet, there is no choice.
Are you sure?

See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=3394071

Sent from my YOGA Tablet 2-830F using Tapatalk
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 04:05 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Guess I was mistaken. But I still stand by my vote.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:31 AM   #5
RamonR
RamonR began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Guess I was mistaken. But I still stand by my vote.
Indeed it's available through a Dutch distributor. Could you elaborate of why you personally prefer the Kobo?
RamonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:55 PM   #6
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I prefer the Kobo for the following reasons:

1) I'm already invested somewhat in the Kobo infrastructure.
2) I covet the Overdrive integration.
3) The new lighting system sounds neat.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buy, choose, kobo aura one, onyx kepler pro, which one