Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-17-2020, 11:36 AM   #16
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
The finger print doesn't work with latex gloves on either.
Surprisingly, it worked with my thin white powder-free vinyl gloves.

It doesn't work on blue nitrile gloves with the fingertip texture. However, I've got short fingers so I can just fold the glove's textured fingertips backwards and have the smooth portion covering my thumb and then TouchID works.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 12:40 PM   #17
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I have made a wiki page for the iPhone SE 2020.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2020, 03:51 PM   #18
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Order: done. Case, a Spigen Thin Fit via ebay. Delivery 24/4
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 04:40 PM   #19
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For those on Verizon or AT&T postpaid, looks like Walmart is offering $200 discount on the new SE with 0% APR device installment plan.

https://www.walmart.com/cp/apple-iph...nounce/5929654
Old 04-18-2020, 01:51 AM   #20
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post

BTW, face I’d doesn’t work with a face mask on, so when out in public I’ve had to resort to the old fashion typing of the password.
Well just retrain FaceID with your mask on.

A co-worker, who happens to be a Sikh, tells me he is able to unlock his father’s FaceID phone. The beards apparently fuzz up the accuracy. So no, not a good idea to retrain with mask on, I would imagine.

Well, another approach would be VoiceID. Or MindID (via embedded chip in skull).
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2020, 06:57 AM   #21
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
I remember groaning when Apple went from 4 to 6 digit passcodes. Geez, now I have to type 2 more numbers! I think we've gotten spoiled and lazy with the Touch and Face IDs!
For some reason, Apple thinks that it's still a good idea to force you to put in your passcode every so often. I'm sure the security experts think it's great and are chanting their favorite mantra "best practices", but it always seems to pop up at the most inconvenient times. If you make it too much of a hassle then people will just turn passcode off.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 11:50 AM   #22
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
For some reason, Apple thinks that it's still a good idea to force you to put in your passcode every so often. I'm sure the security experts think it's great and are chanting their favorite mantra "best practices", but it always seems to pop up at the most inconvenient times. If you make it too much of a hassle then people will just turn passcode off.
Yep, whenever I’m in a big hurry that is when the bleeping passcode will be forced on me. Aaargh!!!! My dad always said locks were for honest people because a good thief knows how to circumvent them whereas honest people probably don’t. Even a six digit code is more about making us feel at ease with the security, but it can be broken. However, even a four digit code would keep most people locked out of your iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Well just retrain FaceID with your mask on.

A co-worker, who happens to be a Sikh, tells me he is able to unlock his father’s FaceID phone. The beards apparently fuzz up the accuracy. So no, not a good idea to retrain with mask on, I would imagine.

Well, another approach would be VoiceID. Or MindID (via embedded chip in skull).
I have a short cropped beard and mustache, but that is probably less problematic than a longer beard. I do know that the Face ID tends to work even when I’m wearing a hat/cap and my eyeglasses turn dark with bright sunshine, so I’m skeptical that Face ID is all that good. I had an older brother with very similar facial features and I wonder if we could have opened each others phones. Sadly he passed away 15 years ago so I’ll never know, but I do know that lots of siblings share very similar facial features with one another and/or parents and extended family members. Face ID is faster, usually, than the Touch ID, but I suspect it is easier to fool.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 12:47 PM   #23
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hum, I see that Apple has discontinued selling the phone that I have, the iPhone 8 series (I have a plus because I prefer the bigger screen). As someone who has been buying iPhones since the initial iPhone, I don't really have a burning desire to upgrade. Yea, faster processor, better camera, more memory would be nice, but my current phone falls into the good enough category. Of course, I also have a hard rule that I don't buy an iPhone until there is a mophie case for it.
Old 04-18-2020, 01:50 PM   #24
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Hum, I see that Apple has discontinued selling the phone that I have, the iPhone 8 series (I have a plus because I prefer the bigger screen). As someone who has been buying iPhones since the initial iPhone, I don't really have a burning desire to upgrade. Yea, faster processor, better camera, more memory would be nice, but my current phone falls into the good enough category. Of course, I also have a hard rule that I don't buy an iPhone until there is a mophie case for it.
There's a rumored SE Plus which is 8 Plus with updated internals so current Mophie case should be compatible day one. It was originally supposed to have been released at the same time as the SE but there were production delays (likely due to Corona).

My battery's shot and I want dual SIM support plus I expect this will be the last TouchID/home button iPhone to be released so buying both to upgrade and collecting.

With the Walmart deal ($200/64GB, $250/128GB, $350/256GB), it's super affordable.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 04-18-2020 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-20-2020, 03:56 PM   #25
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
i'm still using the iphone 8 and debated with myself if i should get the new SE. it'll be a fantastic upgrade since it has the same processor as the iphone 11 pro. however, at the end of the year, the iphone 12 is projected to be released with support for 5G, which the new SE doesn't support. so it's a no go for the SE to be used just for 8 months.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:55 PM   #26
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
i'm still using the iphone 8 and debated with myself if i should get the new SE. it'll be a fantastic upgrade since it has the same processor as the iphone 11 pro. however, at the end of the year, the iphone 12 is projected to be released with support for 5G, which the new SE doesn't support. so it's a no go for the SE to be used just for 8 months.
I priced the iPhone 11 Plus. In max memory configuration it runs $1,500. So, I'll wait either until I drop my iPhone 8 plus is the loo, or I feel an overwhelming urge to spend money. If they do come out with an SE plus, then I might get it for my sister for her birthday. She has my old iPhone 6 plus (she dropped her motorola and my iPhone 6 Plus was just sitting around) and she lives out in the boonies where she isn't likely to get 5G for a very long time.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:56 AM   #27
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Larger version of iPhone SE might be delayed to 2nd half of 2021

According to a MacRumors article:

Quote:
Apple may postpone a larger version of the new low-cost iPhone SE until the second half of 2021, according to Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 01:06 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've ordered the a 128GB iPhone SE to replace my iPhone 6s. I'm not bothered about not having 5G yet. We don't have 5G at present and with the virus, 5G is going to be some time. That will be far down the list of things to do once this over. It's been a while since I've gotten a new phone. My wife has an iPhone 8. So I get to be the one to get a new iPhone.

It's due to arrive on Friday.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 03:21 PM   #29
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I confess that I don’t understand consumer enthusiasm for 5G. Of what practical benefit is it for average smartphone users? I also do not think security concerns are being properly addressed: it’s deploy now, worry about that later.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 04:08 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I confess that I don’t understand consumer enthusiasm for 5G. Of what practical benefit is it for average smartphone users? I also do not think security concerns are being properly addressed: it’s deploy now, worry about that later.
Well, if you have a good 5G signal at home and you can get an unlimited data plan, maybe you'll get faster net access then you will on the local Internet service.

If that's not the case, then I don't see the big deal as well.

The phone after this will have 5G.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote