Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-22-2015, 07:53 AM   #1
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Borkify ePUB

Current Version: "0.2.0"

This post caused a bit of derailing of the original topic (not that uncommon... )

Anyway, I suggested to make an output plugin for Sigil that actually 'borkified' an ePUB. That way a client could see the ePUB as it would look like without actually being useful since the text is altered. Or you could use it for fun of course...

So, I stepped up to the plate and made the plugin. Install it like normal and it will appear amongst the output plugins. When you run it, you can choose the new filename and location.

In the plugin directory there will be, after it has run first, a configuration file. It only has one parameter and this accepts the following values:
- 0: Random choose of 'dialect' for each text element (e.g. a span inside a paragraph is a different element)
- 1: text will resemble speech from the Swedish Chef
- 2: text will resemble speech from Elmer Fudd
- 3: text will resemble the "Olde English" speech

Perhaps I will incorporate a selection screen for the option before the export at a later stage. As for now that goes beyond my Python skills.

If you want more dialects, you need to provide me with the rules.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Borkify_v0.1.zip (17.3 KB, 767 views)
File Type: zip Borkify_0.2-plugin.zip (17.7 KB, 1363 views)

Last edited by Toxaris; 01-09-2016 at 04:28 AM.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:55 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Hmm... Now I expect we will see a mod to make this a Bowdlerize plugin for Sigil!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2016, 10:35 AM   #3
crankypants
Hmm.
crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android 4.2 Google Play Reader
How about an option to convert text to Cockney?
crankypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:34 PM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankypants View Post
How about an option to convert text to Cockney?
Sure, if you have the rules...
Old 01-05-2016, 06:29 PM   #5
crankypants
Hmm.
crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android 4.2 Google Play Reader
Well, I didn't find any translation tables, but I did find some fun URLS: https://www.google.com/search?num=20....0.fmocBhphY_Y. There are several web pages that do translation for you.
crankypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2016, 01:14 PM   #6
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Added to Sigil Plugin Index Sticky Thread
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 04:30 AM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard

I have adapted the plugin. It didn't work on Python 3.4 (although I thought it did), but does now. I also added the autostart and autoclose option for the upcoming version of Sigil. I tried to add a version check, but I am not sure it works yet.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:31 AM   #8
Toxaris
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankypants View Post
Well, I didn't find any translation tables, but I did find some fun URLS: https://www.google.com/search?num=20....0.fmocBhphY_Y. There are several web pages that do translation for you.
I know, there are enough sites to do the translation. They keep the rules hidden though.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:52 PM   #9
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Thank you for this work. Funny and useful.

roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:32 PM   #10
signum
Zealot
signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: none
Consider implementing lolcat. Detailed rules found at:

<http://lolcatbible.com/index.php?title=How_to_speak_lolcat>
signum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 04:58 PM   #11
valdearg
valdearg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Would this plugin work for large amounts of replacements?

I would like to change US English to GB English but I'm struggling with Python (bit new to it I'm afraid).

I have the list of rules on Pastebin: http://pastebin.com/5anfQ7Xi

There's most likely a better way to do it.
valdearg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:05 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by valdearg View Post
Would this plugin work for large amounts of replacements?

I would like to change US English to GB English but I'm struggling with Python (bit new to it I'm afraid).

I have the list of rules on Pastebin: http://pastebin.com/5anfQ7Xi

There's most likely a better way to do it.
Just changing those words won't work properly. There are words for things the UK uses that the US uses a different word. For example, US uses trunk (for the trunk of a car) and UK uses boot. But if you just change trunk to boot, you could be replacing trunk (as in luggage) to boot incorrectly. Also the way things are phrased can be different. There is no way to automate changing US to UK. The book has to be manually edited.

But to be honest, it's easier to just leave it as is. When you change things to "fit in", you make it seem like the readers are stupid.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:10 PM   #13
valdearg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Just changing those words won't work properly. There are words for things the UK uses that the US uses a different word. For example, US uses trunk (for the trunk of a car) and UK uses boot. But if you just change trunk to boot, you could be replacing trunk (as in luggage) to boot incorrectly. Also the way things are phrased can be different. There is no way to automate changing US to UK. The book has to be manually edited.

But to be honest, it's easier to just leave it as is. When you change things to "fit in", you make it seem like the readers are stupid.
I'm aware, I'm mainly focusing on the changes to the spelling of words.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:16 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by valdearg View Post
I'm aware, I'm mainly focusing on the changes to the spelling of words.
That won't work. You might have to change some words that a dictionary won't be able to help with. Like trunk to boot. There are plenty of others. It will look sillyto have some words with UK spelling with US phrasing and other words not changed. Some words in the US mean something different in the UK. You need an editor to do it correctly. So that's why it's best to not do it. If I was reading your UK edition, I'd give it a poor rating because it would be poorly edited.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:19 PM   #15
valdearg

They're largely for personal use so wouldn't be sharing them, I usually go through a second time and correct them, this would just make the first stage quicker.

Tags
borkify, obfuscation