Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-15-2011, 03:07 PM   #16
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
I doubt that there's going to be an unbreakable DRM. So, no worries there.
Obviously at some point, software will reach the capability of OCR directly to Epub or some other capable reflow standard, and the game will be over for good. That may happen within the next five years.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:12 PM   #17
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
I doubt that there's going to be an unbreakable DRM. So, no worries there.
I wouldn't be so sure:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=143275

I, for one, stopped updating K4PC and also allow myself to buy a bit more than usual, just in case.

About the OP: Me, too...
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2011, 03:31 PM   #18
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
I returned an ebook to Whitcoull's with success. I've never tried with Amazon or Kobo, but then, I haven't yet had reason to.

Easily, hands down, the worst "formatted" ebook I have bought is Penguin's First Rumpole Omnibus which is "riddled" with errors -- at least one OCR-like every page. You know, stuff like "weU" instead of "well". Shocking. But, I enjoyed the stories so I kept it. It made me appreciate, even more, the simple craftsmanship you'll find in some of the (legitimate) reprint houses like Langtail Press.
I bought an ebook from Penguin and had the exact same errors. Even the Main Character's nickname (used throughout the book) was spelled wrong. They just don't care.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:32 PM   #19
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishcompany View Post
I wouldn't be so sure:

I, for one, stopped updating K4PC and also allow myself to buy a bit more than usual, just in case.

I was just thinking about that thread....
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:28 PM   #20
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
As much as we love and support our independent authors here - a publishing house with proof-readers who fix typos, spelling and grammar DO earn that extra $5-$10 per book.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2011, 06:54 PM   #21
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
but, how did you break into Amazxon's impossible to climb walled garden? I thought you were locked out of Amazon because they are big meanies who sell only Mobi and you were destined to never be able to use books from them on an EPub reader? Does this mean that Kindle users can buy books from other stores and read them on their Kindle.

(Runs away clutching her head)

I think my brain is going to explode!!!!!
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:49 PM   #22
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
i shop at amazon because i think sites like smashwords and fictionwise are an absolute mess to use and completely counter-intuitive.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:30 AM   #23
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
i shop at amazon because i think sites like smashwords and fictionwise are an absolute mess to use and completely counter-intuitive.
Really? I can't say I have any problems with either of those sites. I've bought books from both, not sure what part is messy or counter-intuitive. But then, I'm used to downloading books to my computer and transferring to my reader.

Vic
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:44 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchleyportrait View Post
the one benefit is that it's effortless to send kindle books to kindle, ipad, or pc, whereas there's an extra step or two with a sony, b&n, reader, etc.
Not for the OP. The OP has to buy the Kindle eBook, download it with K4PC, strip the DRM, convert to ePub and then it can be loaded onto the OP's 350.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:46 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
In most cases, the same errors in the ePub will be the same errors in the Mobipocket. So really, there is no need to buy just from Amazon because of quality. You'll get the same text most of the time in ePub that you do in Mobipocket (AZW is Mobipocket with different DRM).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:12 PM   #26
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishcompany View Post
I wouldn't be so sure:

Knocked out update auto, and things still work OK for me at present...........

Oh, someone kindly gave the way to download superseded K4PC recently - could anyone supply same please ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:06 PM   #27
pedro99
pedro99 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 300
Hi,
New to this site but interested to read your comments. I too am a Sony ereader user and have always purchased from Waterstones but interested to learn more about the option to convert from Amazon purchases. Are you able to share such info?
pedro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:18 PM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedro99 View Post
Hi,
New to this site but interested to read your comments. I too am a Sony ereader user and have always purchased from Waterstones but interested to learn more about the option to convert from Amazon purchases. Are you able to share such info?
Google for "Apprentice Alf" and install the DRM-removal tools for Calibre. Buy your book with "Kindle for PC". Copy book from Kindle for PC into Calibre. Convert to ePub. Job done.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:22 PM   #29
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Google for "Apprentice Alf" and install the DRM-removal tools for Calibre. Buy your book with "Kindle for PC". Copy book from Kindle for PC into Calibre. Convert to ePub. Job done.
Yup. Even those of us with Kindles follow a similar workflow to ensure that we've liberated out purchases.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:25 PM   #30
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrghus View Post
If I want to read George R. R. Martin's latest, where am I going to go? Well, the Kindle store of course! Nowhere else will show me the goods, as it were, before I pay for 'em. I've declined buying a few books now from Amazon because of poor formatting, and I'm glad I was able to avoid such typographical tragedies.
From what I've seen, the Amazon version of this is just as bad as the ePub, if not worse. 'Tragedy' is a good description, though.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote