Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-21-2010, 03:29 PM   #16
ttate90303
Enthusiast
ttate90303 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Apple iPad 3, Kindle 3, Nook Simple Touch
I don't tend to get upset when folks interrupt - most do apologize for intruding - but most are curious about the eReader I'm using and just want to know about it. People tend to want real-world opinion (no matter how biased it may be) from a user. And I'm sure if you expressed to them that you'll only be able to answer a few questions, but that you'd like to get back on track with your reading they shouldn't take offense.

Or maybe just wearing a t-shirt of Tony Montana with the text "I whacked the last guy that interrupted me." may discourage would-be intruders.
ttate90303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:43 PM   #17
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Hmpf. Must be me.

I think we all need to wear bows in our hair........stickons if we have not hair.

RED means "leave me alone dammit!"

GREEN means "I'm open to conversation"

YELLOW means "Take your chances......."

Or how about one of those "Do Not Disturb" signs you hang on the hotel door?

I'm with the camp that wouldn't be bothered by it. I would welcome it! The more people interested in eBook readers, the better for all of us, I would think!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2010, 03:53 PM   #18
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
It's not always people interested in ebook readers. These are people I know, some have Kindles or Sonys, some don't but they all just want to chat. I think when they see me alone somewhere reading, they thinks it's because I don't have anyone to keep me company.

Some folks are not comfortable being alone and they think you're the same way, so they try to keep you company.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:56 PM   #19
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Some folks are not comfortable being alone and they think you're the same way, so they try to keep you company.
True. We are not all 'sociable animals'
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:28 PM   #20
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Apple Ipad 3rd Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttate90303 View Post
I don't tend to get upset when folks interrupt - most do apologize for intruding - but most are curious about the eReader I'm using and just want to know about it. People tend to want real-world opinion (no matter how biased it may be) from a user. And I'm sure if you expressed to them that you'll only be able to answer a few questions, but that you'd like to get back on track with your reading they shouldn't take offense.

Or maybe just wearing a t-shirt of Tony Montana with the text "I whacked the last guy that interrupted me." may discourage would-be intruders.
I like the t-shirt idea
mjhudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2010, 04:35 PM   #21
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
This is why I knit in public, rather than read, because at least with knitting I can carry on a polite, trivial conversation without stopping what I'm doing. I don't think I've ever been sitting anywhere public, alone or not, and not had someone start talking to me.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:03 PM   #22
ttate90303
Enthusiast
ttate90303 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Apple iPad 3, Kindle 3, Nook Simple Touch
Ok, I did think of one for those who don't want to be social while reading - put in a pair of white earphones - they'll think you're listening to an iPod and less likely to bother you.
ttate90303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:52 PM   #23
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Weelll...being a native Texan (even though I live in Illinois now) it's probably a REALLY good thing I don't live in the UK...I can strike up a conversation with the person in the grocery line with me and leave with a friend (it's a Southern U.S. thing....). Apparently, I'd be miserable in the UK, and so would everyone I came in contact with!

But I love it when people ask me what I have - When I had the Astak, that poor thing got handled by every doctor and nurse at our local clinic, I think. I had it during the time Chris was having multiple appointments. Every time one would walk through the waiting area they'd have to stop, ask what it was (or if it was a Kindle...I never did get that one, as the Astak was maroon), and play with it. My explanations turned into mini lectures about ebooks, LOL!
I haven't been out much with the Sony yet, but I'm sure once I am, I'll get the same reactions, and honestly, I hope I do. But then again, I like people and enjoy talking about my passions (ebooks and tech.).
it's not just southern, it's everywhere. my kids always used to say "Mom has never met a stranger!" but seriously, for whatever reason, I am the person that is approached in airports, ferry terminals, just about any public place with a lot of people by other people that need help, have questions, etc. the family used to say "oh dear, Mom's weird-dar has kicked in again" likes flies to sugar they come...
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:59 PM   #24
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Or........you could read out loud, to yourself, in a very low voice.

People would think you were a little on the batty side and definitely not approach!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:13 PM   #25
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
it's not just southern, it's everywhere. my kids always used to say "Mom has never met a stranger!" but seriously, for whatever reason, I am the person that is approached in airports, ferry terminals, just about any public place with a lot of people by other people that need help, have questions, etc. the family used to say "oh dear, Mom's weird-dar has kicked in again" likes flies to sugar they come...

You ARE the "Go-To" Girl, KK!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:26 PM   #26
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Edit: Quoted post is gone, so I have removed my response.

Last edited by daffy4u; 09-21-2010 at 08:44 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:23 PM   #27
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
I am obviously not very approachable, because I read in public on my Kindle all the time and nobody ever interrupts me! What can it mean?

Just this morning I sat in the restaurant at Ikea for about an hour with a cup of coffee and read. Nobody even looked my way. I'm pretty sure I give off "leave me alone" vibes though, because I really hate to be dragged into a conversation that I don't want to be in. Probably you just look like a nice person.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:37 PM   #28
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Kinda reminds me of a joke I read once. This man is driving long distance and is tired. He decides to pull over to the road side to sleep for a few hrs. Shortly after he goes to sleep someone knocks on his window wanting to know the time of all things. He doesn't know the time and tells them that. Then tries to go back to sleep. This happens several times and so he makes up a sign reading "I don't know the time" then goes back to sleep. A bit later someone knocks on his window again. He rolls it down and the person says, "It's 5:30 am." Sometimes you can't win. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhudston View Post
Ooh I'll have to try that one, maybe that will stop them. But I fear that will mean they will touch me. (shudder)
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:38 AM   #29
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
Clearly I send out fearsome vibes of doom to all who might interrupt me 'cos I've never had anybody ask about my reader. On the other other hand, I can almost guarantee that I will be asked "Is this the train for ...?" (Interestingly, a response to the effect "No it's for [geographical location in opposite direction]" invariably produces an assertion that I'm wrong and they know where it's for. "So why did you ask me?"...)
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:20 AM   #30
brainycat
PocketBook 302 FTW!
brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 302, upgraded from PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Wierd. I often read in public and have never EVER been interrupted. Perhaps you need to try to look more menacing.
I agree. I carry an imposing demeanor, so I don't deal with this problem too much. But I know exactly what you mean. I think that for "nonreaders", it's difficult to imagine being absorbed in a book. I think they don't even realize they're being rude - to them, it's probably like making a comment to someone watching a game on tv.

I have a host of rude replies I keep handy for this situation:
"I'm enjoying the company of a literate person"
"It's a called a 'book'. You should try it sometime"
"I WAS reading, until some stranger rudely interrupted me"
"Which part of staring at a book and ignoring you says 'Hey! Talk to me!'"
"Who me? I'm sorry, I thought you were trying to talk to someone without anything better to do"
brainycat is offline   Reply With Quote