Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 10-23-2015, 12:37 PM   #16
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I won't even ask the traditional question about a man in a kilt.

(I love a man in a kilt, especially if he's got the legs for it. Great look.)
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:35 PM   #17
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
"What's worn under your kilt?"

"Nothing.

It's all in perfect working order!"
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:00 AM   #18
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I wasn't quite as taken with this book as some. I liked the adventure and I liked the characters - even the villains.

However, it never really gripped me. This, along with many words in dialect, and along with the fact that I was tired most days of the week, made this a bit of a slog.

I agree about the relationship with Allan and Davie. This was a highlight, as was the basic plot, which I would have lapped up as a kid.

I'm glad I've finally read some RLS. I'm not done yet - I'm still determined to read Treasure Island and The Strange Case of Doctor Jeckyll and Mr Hyde.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:53 AM   #19
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I finally finished Kidnapped last night and thought overall it was okay, but not one of my favorites. Ive added the sequel to my TBR list because I'm curious to see how Alan Breck (real name: Allan Breck Stewart) fares under Stephenson's pen, and whether David Balfour is caught up in his fate.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:03 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
"Treasure Island" is my favourite RLS book by far; one of the best adventure stories ever written, to my mind.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:29 AM   #21
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I've mentioned greatly enjoying those of RLS's travelogues that I've read so far. His earliest book, An Inland Voyage, an account of his trip on the Oise in a canoe with a sail, is delightful. I have yet to read his Travels with a Donkey which I think is considered to be his best, but I'm still in the middle of his trilogy about his trip to and across the US.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 05:25 PM   #22
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I first read this book when I was about eleven or twelve; the main elements of the book have remained clear in my mind for over fifty years, which I suppose is a testament to how well it was written. To this day, when I read about a flight from danger, I always match it against Davie and Alan Breck Stewart’s flight through the heather.

I had forgotten about the frequent use of Scottish words. I wonder if Stevenson included that for market appeal. The book was written at the height of the tartan craze in the late 1800’s, and it was initially published serially in Young Folks magazine. Boys are often finicky about details of language for particular settings.

Rereading it, I am even more impressed by the book.

The book is a good deal deeper than a YA scribble; it is not in the least a plaid Hardy Boys story. Stevenson brought quite a lot of Scottish history in his book that was not necessary for a mere boy's story. These elements include the Highland clearances, references to Glencoe and the MacGregors (supposedly, Scott’s Rob Roy was a favourite of Stevenson’s), and the dignity and self-esteem of Highlanders (Davie’s encounter with Neil Roy - “there is a thing that ye should never do and that is to offer your dirty money to a Hieland shentleman”; also Alan Breck Stewart’s story about his father, as a gentleman private in the Black Watch, tipping a porter three guineas). Altogether, it is a better piece of historical fiction than most.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote