Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What do we wish for in March?
The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett 6 75.00%
As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride by Carey Elwes 3 37.50%
Nation by Terry Pratchett 3 37.50%
The Calculating Stars by Mary Robinette Kowal 3 37.50%
The Dollmaker by Harriette Simpson Arnow 4 50.00%
City of Djinns: A Year in Delhi by William Dalrymple 3 37.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-11-2020, 04:09 PM   #16
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
IMO the book is far superior to the Bogart movie. I haven't seen the other two movie versions.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 02:19 PM   #17
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I didn't want to get The Maltese Falcon too early and not have it available when discussion starts so I haven't checked it out yet. I have been watching, every couple of days, to make sure that there are still two copies (out of three) available at my library so I could jump on the last one if it was getting close. It's been this way since this book was nominated a month ago.

Well, now is the time so I check again today and all three copies are checked out and there is a 5 person line to get one. ARGH!!! Maybe we'll have a bunch of new people join us for this discussion since I'm sure the run on the book is due to the NLBC.

Fortunately, my other library has two copies and although they were checked out I put my name on the waiting list, just in case. I'm glad I did. I am first in line, and have been for almost 2 weeks now, so I should still have this in time.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2020, 03:20 PM   #18
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Don't you just hate when that happens?!
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 06:19 PM   #19
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I’ve noticed the same thing at my library, and sometimes wonder if there are MR book club lurkers out there.

I read the ebook when the old club selected it (I was a lurker and didn’t post in the thread). I’ve seen the movie. I’m going to try to find the audiobook version that Charlie recommended in the audiobook thread.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:26 PM   #20
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I'm waiting on an audiobook version at my library. The waiting list is moving at a snail's pace. I think everyone ahead of me took their full two or three weeks; I was number five initially, and now I'm number two. Still hoping I have an outside shot at getting it in time.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert