Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-13-2022, 05:11 AM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
And if you do plan to use Bookerly, you'll have to use a font editor and fit it. I forget exactly what's wrong. But it's posted someplace on MR.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 08:26 AM   #32
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The difference is one site is legal and the other site is illegal. So I suggest you remove your link to the illegal site.
So... anyone have a helpful answer?

What are the differences between the versions of Bookerly available here and here and the version that is on an e-ink Kindle?

If I install one of those downloadable versions, what differences might I notice on my Kobo? Like I remember I prefer Literata Book to Literata. From memory, there is more padding on regular Literata. Book is more condensed.

(Links posted again specifically because that other user isn't the boss of me.)

Last edited by ZodWallop; 01-13-2022 at 08:40 AM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:28 AM   #33
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

What are the differences between the versions of Bookerly available here and here and the version that is on an e-ink Kindle?
(The first link is to Ember btw, a sans-serif font, so it's very different from the 2nd link of Bookerly.)

But when it comes fonts, everyone's eyes are different, so don't just blindly use what someone else says is the best font or even the best version of the font, or that you can't live without their tweaks to the font. Download the fonts, copy them to your reader and use them to actually see what the differences are for your eyes and your reading comfort. That's really the best way to find a font that hits that comfort level for you.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 10:51 AM   #34
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
(The first link is to Ember btw, a sans-serif font, so it's very different from the 2nd link of Bookerly.)
Both links are Bookerly, even though the one pimps Ember. If you open the ZIP, it's in there.

Quote:
But when it comes fonts, everyone's eyes are different, so don't just blindly use what someone else says is the best font or even the best version of the font, or that you can't live without their tweaks to the font. Download the fonts, copy them to your reader and use them to actually see what the differences are for your eyes and your reading comfort. That's really the best way to find a font that hits that comfort level for you.
Right, right. I get that. My point is I'm pretty sure the glyphs are the same. But as a for instance, if you use Literata and Literata Book, they are the same font, but Book has tighter line spacing using the same settings.

I was just curious if someone who knows more than me could point out what (if any) differences there are in different versions of Bookerly as they are all named the same thing.

Anyway, I didn't mean to knock the conversation so far off track.
Old 01-13-2022, 03:39 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I told you one of your URL's is to an illegal website and you went and posted the same URL again. Posting the a website like that is against the rules on MR.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 04:09 PM   #36
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
I told you one of your URL's is to an illegal website and you went and posted the same URL again. Posting the a website like that is against the rules on MR.
Jon; if you have a problem with links posted, it's best NOT to discuss it. Just report the post and let the mods handle it.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 10:28 PM   #37
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I only used the same links that have been available in this thread for days. They were not taken down. You are not an admin. Back off.

Jut to make you hyperventilate some more, here are the links again. Enjoy: link 1 and link 2
Old 01-14-2022, 06:26 AM   #38
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

Jut to make you hyperventilate some more, here are the links again. Enjoy: link 1 and link 2
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 02:13 PM   #39
mzel
Connoisseur
mzel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Both links are Bookerly, even though the one pimps Ember. If you open the ZIP, it's in there.

Right, right. I get that. My point is I'm pretty sure the glyphs are the same. But as a for instance, if you use Literata and Literata Book, they are the same font, but Book has tighter line spacing using the same settings.

I was just curious if someone who knows more than me could point out what (if any) differences there are in different versions of Bookerly as they are all named the same thing.

Anyway, I didn't mean to knock the conversation so far off track.
Yes, that is what I see too. Literata and Literata Book have the same glyphs, but the Book version is much tighter in terms of in-word spacing, and line spacing. This amounts to about 20% more text per page, and that is too tight to my taste. There is the 3rd version of Literata to which Google refers to as Literata 3. It is a bit tighter than the original one, just about 1% more text per page, and that one looks best to me out of the 3.

https://www.type-together.com/literata-font
mzel is offline   Reply With Quote